C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 auto to manual swap - s-10 donor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:28 PM
vetpace78
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 78 auto to manual swap - s-10 donor?

I've been wanting to do a 5 speed swap for a couple or years now. I just recently got a quote from silver sport for just over 5k.

I was talking with a friend about it when he jokingly said why not use that old s-10 as a donor?

This got my wheels spinning. I have a 99 s-10 2wd 5 spd 4.3 liter just rotting away. Does anybody know if I could use that hardware to make my c3 swap? I know the transmission probably wouldn't hold up but what about using the bell housing, hydraulics and pedals?

Any info on this would be appreciated
Old 04-23-2019, 10:26 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

You're reinventing the wheel to install a transmission that won't last. Its not a difficult swap with the right parts. If money is your big concern, you can save some by installing a 4 speed. There are lots around for a lot less money than a Tremec. Other than that, there's not a lot to be saved. I scrounged all the parts for my swap and it still cost about $5000. You might as well buy the kit.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:52 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by vetpace78
I've been wanting to do a 5 speed swap for a couple or years now. I just recently got a quote from silver sport for just over 5k.

I was talking with a friend about it when he jokingly said why not use that old s-10 as a donor?

This got my wheels spinning. I have a 99 s-10 2wd 5 spd 4.3 liter just rotting away. Does anybody know if I could use that hardware to make my c3 swap? I know the transmission probably wouldn't hold up but what about using the bell housing, hydraulics and pedals?

I do Not KNOW ... but your S-10 trans may very well be a New Venture NV3500. wiki link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Ve...0_transmission

If so, note it has an integral bellousing but it should bolt up to 78 chevy sbc. Where the shifter ends up? It doesn't have a hi torque rating but seems same trans was in GM full-size V8 pickups too. I'm speculating 99 V6 Vortec motor with its good heads, roller cam & EFI probably makes nearly as much HP & TQ as 78 C3. Does your s10 have RPO M50 (table in glove box)?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:55 PM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by vetpace78

You don’t want that gearbox.

Quick story. Many years ago I when I purchased my 2000 S10 brand new with the ZQ8 suspension package, 4.3 V6, and 5 speed gearbox. I was young and stupid and used to street race quite a bit. It was pretty quick on its own given it was a truck, and with a 75 shot of nitrous it would take out a bolt-on C5. Unfortunately I kept breaking the gearbox in the thing. About 5 times actually, each time the 3-4 shift fork. It’s not meant to be banged on like a T56 (which is what ended up going into the truck). Look elsewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 auto to manual swap - s-10 donor?

Quick Reply: 78 auto to manual swap - s-10 donor?