C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which heater core hose goes where ?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 11:05 AM
yelo80vette
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which heater core hose goes where ?!

Thinking my heater core replacement project in my 1980 was going to be much harder than it ended up being, I began by cutting off the old hoses from the old
heater core without noting which hose went to where. Now, having finished the project (other than this part), I don't know which of the two hoses goes to where?
One hose comes from the engine block near the water pump and the other goes into an aluminum tube hear the AC compressor, then down to the heater control
valve. From there, I'm confused. Any illustration I can find doesn't really show. On my new heater core, one tube comes down on the passenger side and the other on
the drivers side. Maybe my little illustration can make my dilemma clear. Anybody? Suggestions? (help!!!)
The following users liked this post:
71DMK (06-28-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,140 Likes on 2,330 Posts

The hoses, and the ports on the heater core, should be two different sizes. The 5/8" hose, I believe, is the outlet from the intake manifold, and the 3/4" hose is the return to the water pump (the "aluminum", but possibly steel, return hose that plugs into the water pump). I'd expect the water shut-off valve to be on the outlet (5/8") side. If the heater core has two inlets the same size, the shut-off valve must make a size transition.

I tossed all of my stock heater components from my 80, so I can't measure anything, but the routing should be in the AIM or Shop Manual. I'll post a photo if I can find mine...
Old 04-27-2019, 02:08 PM
yelo80vette
Intermediate

Excellent. I'll check that out. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:20 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,140 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Here you go. Not the clearest picture, but the heater core hoses are clearly different sizes.

You can pick up a Factory Assembly Manual and Shop Manual from any of the vendors, and even Rock Auto. They are worth their weight in gold!

Last edited by Bikespace; 04-27-2019 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
71DMK (06-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 12:46 AM
yelo80vette
Intermediate

I have this picture but only now do I see that I was looking at it wrong. I think this'll do it. Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Which heater core hose goes where ?!

Quick Reply: Which heater core hose goes where ?!