C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension rebuild recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,140 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Please tell me more.
Thanks
SPC adjustable upper control arms. They make two versions for the C3. I bought the "race" version, which requires periodic greasing. They come as a pair, but both are assembled as either right or left (I forget which), so the first thing you have to do is completely rearrange one of them.

They are on the car, but I don't have any miles on them yet.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 PM
cjkirby55
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you everyone. I love this forum for all the knowledge. So I pieced together Moog ball joints and tie rod ends, Energy Suspension sway bar links and Proforged aluminum sleeves all from JEGS. It was about $20 more than Rock Auto but it’s easy to return things to JEGS and they do a military discount. I’ll buy from somewhere that does even if it costs a little more, within reason.
Im still looking at replacing the right front caliper and swapping the rubber hoses for stainless steel. The left front is already sleeved so it’s good.
What I wouldn’t give for more free time and an unlimited budget.

Last edited by cjkirby55; 05-09-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,136 Likes on 2,069 Posts

M
Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 AM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cjkirby55
Thank you everyone. I love this forum for all the knowledge. So I pieced together Moog ball joints and tie rod ends, Energy Suspension sway bar links and Proforged aluminum sleeves all from JEGS. It was about $20 more than Rock Auto but it’s easy to return things to JEGS and they do a military discount. I’ll buy from somewhere that does even if it costs a little more, within reason.
Im still looking at replacing the right front caliper and swapping the rubber hoses for stainless steel. The left front is already sleeved so it’s good.
What I wouldn’t give for more free time and an unlimited budget.

Did you replace the sway bar bushings too, or just the links?
Energy suspension has regular bushings and greasable versions. You just need to look on their webpage or catalog to find the right P/N for your size sway bar, then you can buy it from Summit, Jeg's, your local speed shop, or whoever you prefer.
I put the greasable ones our car to try and keep thing moving a little more freely.

Thanks for the tip on the Military Discount. I'll have to call them and see if it applies to military retirees too.
-Chris
Old 05-10-2019, 11:31 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
I installed Wilcox Deluxe kit 4+ years ago. Great price and quality.
Me too, about 7 years ago. Interestingly this was my first rebuild on the car after I got it.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:03 AM
cjkirby55
Intermediate

I am doing the sway bar end links. I got the Energy Suspension ones.
Van Steel said they would do a 5% mil discount also.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:03 PM
71convertible
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

At the chevy dealership I worked at I would add a little extra positive caster on both sides of all the vettes. Including mine.They would handle better without any tire wear.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,260 Likes on 3,905 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 71convertible
At the chevy dealership I worked at I would add a little extra positive caster on both sides of all the vettes. Including mine.They would handle better without any tire wear.
Do you have the toe, caster and camber specs?
Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 PM
71convertible
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...ignment-specs/ Here is the link.

. The specs are too generous and could cause issues anyway . On the front go -.50 degree neg on the right front. .00 to .25 positive on the left front. Total toe 1/16 th in. Caster .50 degree more positive on the right side or she will pull.NO negative caster on either side. Rear neg on both sides camber .50 or a little more if you want to super handle on turns. 1/16th total toe rear is good also.If your 300 lbs stay in the car when they do it. It's all driven by ride height.
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 04:26 PM
cjkirby55
Intermediate

Got a little distracted from the front end rebuild. Indiana allow for classic cars to legally run the license plate of the year the car was built as long as you have historic plates also. The vintage plates can be displayed as long as the historic plates are kept with the car also. According to the state the 1977 plates have 78 on the plate and are a bit on the ugly side but still cool. The plate cost $9 from an antique shop.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension rebuild recomendations