C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremec TKO Conversion anyone have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 07:37 AM
Tom_K
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tremec TKO Conversion anyone have this problem?

I have completed the install however the Clutch fork is out of adjustment.
Looks like I need a taller pivot ball. (Maybe get an adjustable?)
I increased the length of the lower linkage rod to get the pedal height right and the system connected.
With the longer rod the Z-bar is rocked back a bit.

I am not sure if this geometry will work well or cause other issues down the road.

Q: before I get in there... is it possible to get to the pivot ball without completely pulling the trans?
That setup is a real B%%ch to put in......

Or do I just fire up a nice cigar (convertible) and drive it the way it is......

Old 05-03-2019, 09:52 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

You have to pull the transmission from the bell housing. I use the tall GM 1.78inches because of my thin light weight flywheel

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...make/chevrolet
Old 05-03-2019, 10:57 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Without a picture of the Z bar it's hard to see what position it is in. The working geometry of the Z bar is important as I'm sure you know. I fiddled with mine and got it to work much better by making the arms more perpendicular (up and down) giving it better leverage. But I have the HEIM joints - adjustable Z bar (which is a great addition - just for this purpose). I recently installed a TKO600 and reused my existing bell housing and clutch pivot so maybe I got lucky. Replacing the clutch ball would be a pain but make sure you get it right - it's important.

Jim
Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Tom_K
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Jim,

here is an image.

I can adjust the lower connecting rod to get the Z-bar more vertical
(either cut and weld or get adjustable)
Does the clutch fork look too far back?

I really do not want to go through the remove and install process. I did this swap without modifying the cross-member so the clearance to remove and re-install the trans is very tight and a real pain in the ***.....

I may look to cut the cross-member and fabricate a removable center. This would make the whole thing much easier in the likelihood I need to get back in there down the road. ..... Just want to get her back on the road at this point.....

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec TKO Conversion anyone have this problem?

Quick Reply: Tremec TKO Conversion anyone have this problem?