C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket hood scoop advice. My engine won't fit :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Talk to Rob at Fiber Concepts in Warminster PA. He makes an assortment of Corvette hoods, with all kinds of scoops, including a 73-76 hood with a taller center bulge/scoop.

The hoods are around $550, or $695 if you want a cowl induction air box installed. He will also build you a slightly lighter "racer" hood, and since you're using Dzus fasteners, he can leave all of the metal nut plates for the hinges, hood support and latches out of the hood (which makes the hood even lighter and cheaper). Because of the size of them, hoods are expensive to ship and normally have to go common carrier, but from my experience, it's usually around $100-$150.

Something else to consider. The stock hoods are not light to start with, and if you bond a scoop to it, it could get even heavier. Not only is the extra weight a detriment speed, it's a pain when dealing with a lift off hood!

http://fiberpartsconcepts.com/corvette.html

Last edited by gbvette62; 05-14-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 AM
godrocksus1@gmail.co
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good tip. I love my lift off but I'm afraid your right about the weight. Currently I can take it off myself but I use the hole in the middle. I just figured when I cover the hole, it becomes a 2 person job. maybe with a light hood I can still do it by myself.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket hood scoop advice. My engine won't fit :)