Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Vintage Air central bezel not fitting

Old 05-11-2019, 01:31 PM
gwgwgw
CF Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Vintage Air central bezel not fitting

Installing vintage air in my 69. Their center bezel with air vents is not fitting with my center bezel above
the center gauges.
Anyone else have this problem
There is a difference in the rear bottom lip
I have a picture of the original plus the comparisons to the VA

Glenn in San Diego

Last edited by gwgwgw; 05-11-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:15 PM
twinpack
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Can really offer you any help except the obvious to call Vintage Air. I have a 68 and trying to decide if I should install the A/C. How have you found the project so far minus the vent fitment. Where did you purchase from.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:00 PM
20mercury
CF Senior Member

Received 204 Likes on 186 Posts

My 2 cents; I want to remember having to cut the lip or modify on one of my VA installs too.

Thought for you and what I finally did on one of the VA installs; I made a transition piece out of alum roof flashing (make the design with paper and scissors first to understand how it needs to fold up), duct tape it up and reuse your existing bezel vent. I thought the existing bezel vent looks better anyway.

Hope this helps.

One more suggestion, I found it a challenge to get the full charge into the system (and so max cooling) until I exactly followed VA instructions for charging (4 fans in front of the radiator, fast idle, etc. Also used a postal scale to determine charge weight). Good luck and a/c is fully worth the effort in Louisiana and CA too I would imagine.

Last edited by 20mercury; 05-12-2019 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gwgwgw (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 PM
bluegtp
CF Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 20mercury View Post
My 2 cents; I want to remember having to cut the lip or modify on one of my VA installs too.

Thought for you and what I finally did on one of the VA installs; I made a transition piece out of alum roof flashing (make the design with paper and scissors first to understand how it needs to fold up), duct tape it up and reuse your existing bezel vent. I thought the existing bezel vent looks better anyway.

Hope this helps.

One more suggestion, I found it a challenge to get the full charge into the system (and so max cooling) until I exactly followed VA instructions for charging (4 fans in front of the radiator, fast idle, etc. Also used a postal scale to determine charge weight). Good luck and a/c is fully worth the effort in Louisiana and CA too I would imagine.
100% agree in Louisiana weather. 10 years w/out ac in my c3 and this year i finally have it and makes driving in the summer so much better.

I'd say call va..... everything I've read is they have good customer service. Good luck
Old 05-13-2019, 02:15 AM
gwgwgw
CF Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for the replies

I have reached out to VA and they are checking for me.

i also have eyed modifying the existing bezel as mentioned above

Glenn
Old 05-13-2019, 03:16 PM
carriljc
CF Senior Member

Received 212 Likes on 200 Posts

Some ideas for you. I did similar to this thread at first with a used tube of RTV and attached to back of a stock a/c vent bezel.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1571981113

It worked well enough that I kept it like that for a while.

Subsequently I fabricated and angled contraption so I could maximize air flow. Just some ideas for you ....
The following users liked this post:
20mercury (05-13-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:18 AM
rugerm44
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vent

mine came this ridiculous single vent for the center vent so I bought original one and made fiberglass duct adapter for it.
Originally Posted by carriljc View Post
Some ideas for you. I did similar to this thread at first with a used tube of ​​​​​​​RTV and attached to back of a stock a/c vent bezel.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1571981113

It worked well enough that I kept it like that for a while.

Subsequently I fabricated and angled contraption so I could maximize air flow. Just some ideas for you ....
Old 05-18-2019, 08:56 AM
BigBill94
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Given their name recognition and how well the cooling module fits, you would think they would come up with a better system for the various vents... Nope. Dealing with those hoses and center vent SUCKS. 10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vintage Air central bezel not fitting

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: