C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If it's not one thing, it's another!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 12:42 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Default If it's not one thing, it's another!

I recently fixed some oil leaks on my engine and tranny. The chrome valve covers I had kept leaking no matter what I did so I replaced them with finned aluminum covers. Leak fixed
My distributor was leaking, fixed that. The bolts on my aluminum tranny pan were loose, probably from the expansion and contraction of the aluminum pan. I snuged the bolts up and that fixed that seeping.

I pulled my Vette out yesterday and saw there was fresh oil and tranny fluid spots on the garage floor. Now what??!! I put the Vette up on my buddies lift and there was oil all over the flywheel cover. The flexplate and torque is dry up to the crank, the torque converter is also dry. After a bit of looking I traced the leak to the new last fall oil pressure sensor.

The tranny leak I traced down to the speedometer drive gear housing. The fluid was coming out of the speedo cable end. That gear and seal were also new last fall. Arrrg!

On the upside, neither leak is bad or hard to fix and it was a beautiful day and evening. I put some top down miles on the car and also attended the local cruise in at the drive in.

Mike
Old 05-31-2019, 07:15 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Yes it can be frustrating dealing with semi-continuous weeping of drive train fluids . Makes you feel better AFTER you deal with them and get to drive it on the SAME day though.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:10 PM
ganshert
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

It makes me wonder about blow by and crankcase ventilation. That wouldn’t explain the transmission leaks but would explain the rest of them. Maybe do a compression test and check out the health of your PCV system.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:32 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ganshert
It makes me wonder about blow by and crankcase ventilation. That wouldn’t explain the transmission leaks but would explain the rest of them. Maybe do a compression test and check out the health of your PCV system.
I have excellent crankcase ventilation. Anyway, it would have nothing to do with an oil pressure sensor leaking. That’s just junk aftermarket parts.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
jackson (06-02-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To If it's not one thing, it's another!

Quick Reply: If it's not one thing, it's another!