C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ready to install new gauge bezel/ shift console but..

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 01:38 PM
stingraygene
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ready to install new gauge bezel/ shift console but..

after I took out the broken gauge bezel I seen the shift console was pretty bad shape. I ordered both new. Bit nervous as to where to start upon reassembly? I do have the gauges transferred over to new bezel but nothing plugged in back yet. just sitting on bench. Any experience in what to install first- shift console or bezal first? Im thinging bezel in first so I can move it around more freely to get it right but if I get that inplace will I have trouble getting shift console down in place? Park brake console also removed and trying to figure out how I get new plastic sliding piece inplace without taking it all apart too.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:30 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by stingraygene
after I took out the broken gauge bezel I seen the shift console was pretty bad shape. I ordered both new. Bit nervous as to where to start upon reassembly? I do have the gauges transferred over to new bezel but nothing plugged in back yet. just sitting on bench. Any experience in what to install first- shift console or bezal first? Im thinging bezel in first so I can move it around more freely to get it right but if I get that inplace will I have trouble getting shift console down in place? Park brake console also removed and trying to figure out how I get new plastic sliding piece inplace without taking it all apart too.
There is a method I'll try to find it but read the following.
FYI ! http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/1...-instructions/

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/c.../installation/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ake-slide.html

Last edited by caskiguy; 06-09-2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add more content
Old 06-09-2019, 11:25 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

The bezel HAS to go in first. You can not get it in with the shift console in place
Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 AM
stingraygene
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks on the info- appreciate it. going to tackle it next couple days. considering getting new oil line maybe first.. some oil residue on the insulation in there.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by stingraygene
thanks on the info- appreciate it. going to tackle it next couple days. considering getting new oil line maybe first.. some oil residue on the insulation in there.
If you currently have the original oil line in place, don't go to the auto parts store and get a new one without planning on changing ALL the fittings, including the one on the back of the gauge. GM used a slightly different style ferrule on the compression fittings. Mixing the 2 types will leak. BTDT.

As far as installation, the last time I did mine I assembled the bezel to the lower console and then slipped it all forward into place. Seemed to work pretty well and the 2 nuts were much easier to access.

Last edited by TimAT; 06-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ready to install new gauge bezel/ shift console but..

Quick Reply: ready to install new gauge bezel/ shift console but..