Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

SBC 350 Oil Prime: No oil to passenger's side

 
Old 06-09-2019, 05:15 PM
  #1  
NewbVetteGuy
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NewbVetteGuy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Woodinville WA
Posts: 2,528
Received 204 Likes on 179 Posts
Default SBC 350 Oil Prime: No oil to passenger's side

I've spent probably the past 20 minutes trying to get my 350 to oil prime but the passenger's side just won't prime...

I'm using an oil prime tool and an 18v battery powered drill. I can run it on low speed as long as I want but if I run it on high speed I can smell that overheating smell.
Driver's side primed almost instantaneously; passenger side not at all.

I tried having my wife run the drill while I spun the crank over but no luck there, either.


I did not use any white lithium grease ANYWHERE -only red, sticky assembly lube.
Cam bearings were installed by machine shop; all new pushrods, rockers, bearings, Melling SharkTooth oil pump (also new) -"standard volume, standard pressure" but the SharkTooth design gives +10% pressure and +10% volume.

I should note that the oil priming tool does NOT seal around the hole in the block and lots of oil flows over it. I think this is the problem...
I read the 1* reviews of my tool on Jegs and lots of complaints about this problem... UGH.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/7...2/-1#reviewTab


Adam
NewbVetteGuy is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 06:58 PM
  #2  
HeadsU.P.
CF Senior Member
 
HeadsU.P.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Cool Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,238
Received 401 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

You answered your own question. There are two types of oil priming tools. A good one for $25+ with a collar. Or you can get a $9.95 piece of crap without the collar.
You took the wrong path.
HeadsU.P. is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:03 PM
  #3  
resdoggie
1976 Blue-Green L-82 4-sp
Support Corvetteforum!
 
resdoggie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2011
Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Posts: 3,134
Received 361 Likes on 330 Posts
Default

Did your pour oil over the valve train while filling the crankcase? If so, go start up your car. It won't grenade.
resdoggie is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 PM
  #4  
Gunfighter13
CF Senior Member
 
Gunfighter13's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 211
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

Look at this one. See the size of the channel compared to the one you bought. That is why there is no flow to the passenger side.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/23640/10002/-1
Gunfighter13 is offline  
Old 06-09-2019, 10:40 PM
  #5  
gkull
CF Senior Member
 
gkull's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: Reno Nevada
Posts: 19,290
Received 377 Likes on 339 Posts

Default

To actually prime a motor it takes a big *** 1/2 inch electric drill. I gave up doing all that hoopla ages ago. Other than assembly lube. I dump quarts of oil all over the lifters and rockers before buttoning it up. Just before firing the motor I use the mini starter without any spark plugs in and give it a 30 - 40 second spinning. Then install the plugs and fire it up for the 2500 rpm run

Last edited by gkull; 06-09-2019 at 10:56 PM.
gkull is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:32 AM
  #6  
HeadsU.P.
CF Senior Member
 
HeadsU.P.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Cool Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,238
Received 401 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

NbVG,
Just read your post a third time. Clarification needed. You said your primer tool does not seal around hole in block.
Do you mean hole in Intake? Or is the Intake not installed yet? Makes a big difference as far as primer tool function.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 06-10-2019 at 07:34 AM.
HeadsU.P. is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 AM
  #7  
jackson
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Timmonsville SC
Posts: 5,324
Received 199 Likes on 187 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy View Post
I've spent probably the past 20 minutes trying to get my 350 to oil prime but the passenger's side just won't prime...

I'm using an oil prime tool and an 18v battery powered drill. I can run it on low speed as long as I want but if I run it on high speed I can smell that overheating smell.
Driver's side primed almost instantaneously; passenger side not at all.

I tried having my wife run the drill while I spun the crank over but no luck there, either.


I did not use any white lithium grease ANYWHERE -only red, sticky assembly lube.
Cam bearings were installed by machine shop; all new pushrods, rockers, bearings, Melling SharkTooth oil pump (also new) -"standard volume, standard pressure" but the SharkTooth design gives +10% pressure and +10% volume.

I should note that the oil priming tool does NOT seal around the hole in the block and lots of oil flows over it. I think this is the problem...
I read the 1* reviews of my tool on Jegs and lots of complaints about this problem... UGH.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Speedmaster/7...2/-1#reviewTab



Adam
Did you read reviews before you bought it? Why choose $ that one?
jackson is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 AM
  #8  
stingr69
CF Senior Member
 
stingr69's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Little Rock AR
Posts: 4,309
Received 169 Likes on 158 Posts
Default

I have always use an old gutted distributor and a drill. You can run the drill until the oil comes out at the top end or you can just use it just long enough to get the galleries full. You will know when they are full because the drill will load up. You did lube up all the surfaces when you assembled the engine so no need to over think it.
stingr69 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 AM
  #9  
NewbVetteGuy
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NewbVetteGuy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Woodinville WA
Posts: 2,528
Received 204 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P. View Post
You answered your own question. There are two types of oil priming tools. A good one for $25+ with a collar. Or you can get a $9.95 piece of crap without the collar.
You took the wrong path.
This one actually has a collar, I just took it off. The problem is that the shaft is just too long and doesn't seal the distributor tunnel so oil just pours out the top of the distributor hole and floods the valley-obviously this prevents any significant oil pressure building up.
They literally shouldn't sell that Speedway priming tool. It is a fatally flawed design.

I hacked up my old distributor and ground the teeth off yesterday and then ground the head of the shaft down enough to get it to fit in my drill chuck: it worked a treat and actually squirted oil out the top of a rocker a couple of feet while it got the air out of the system.

-I assume it's normal for the rockers at the rear of the engine (closer to distributor) to have more oil coming out than at the front of the engine?


Adam
NewbVetteGuy is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:03 AM
  #10  
NewbVetteGuy
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NewbVetteGuy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Woodinville WA
Posts: 2,528
Received 204 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jackson View Post
Did you read reviews before you bought it? Why choose $ that one?
I did but it was last November and quite a few of the 1 star reviews have come in since then. I think it had a 4 star review on Jegs then; only 3 stars now, but 2 Stars on Amazon. (2 Stars on Amazon is pretty horrible.)
I'll add another one Star review on Jegs as 3 stars is just way too high for a tool that can't fulfill it's reason for being.

Adam
NewbVetteGuy is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:06 AM
  #11  
NewbVetteGuy
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NewbVetteGuy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Woodinville WA
Posts: 2,528
Received 204 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P. View Post
NbVG,
Just read your post a third time. Clarification needed. You said your primer tool does not seal around hole in block.
Do you mean hole in Intake? Or is the Intake not installed yet? Makes a big difference as far as primer tool function.
Intake wasn't on. It doesn't seal the distributor hole going into the lifter valley. In addition to being at least a full inch too high, it's too small of an OD so even if you cut ti down an inch you'd lose a ton of oil pressure still between the OD of the tool and the ID of the distributor hole.
It's looks great, but it's truly worthless. Old Distributor is a million times better.


Adam
NewbVetteGuy is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 AM
  #12  
69427
Tech Contributor
 
69427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Posts: 12,804
Received 213 Likes on 175 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy View Post
This one actually has a collar, I just took it off. The problem is that the shaft is just too long and doesn't seal the distributor tunnel so oil just pours out the top of the distributor hole and floods the valley-obviously this prevents any significant oil pressure building up.
They literally shouldn't sell that Speedway priming tool. It is a fatally flawed design.

I hacked up my old distributor and ground the teeth off yesterday and then ground the head of the shaft down enough to get it to fit in my drill chuck: it worked a treat and actually squirted oil out the top of a rocker a couple of feet while it got the air out of the system.

-I assume it's normal for the rockers at the rear of the engine (closer to distributor) to have more oil coming out than at the front of the engine?


Adam
Good job! That's what parsimonious guys like me do. My cut up old distributor works like a champ.
69427 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by 69427:
Gunfighter13 (06-10-2019), jackson (06-10-2019)
Old 06-10-2019, 06:24 PM
  #13  
HeadsU.P.
CF Senior Member
 
HeadsU.P.'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Location: Cool Northern Michigan
Posts: 2,238
Received 401 Likes on 379 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy View Post
Intake wasn't on. It doesn't seal the distributor hole going into the lifter valley. In addition to being at least a full inch too high, it's too small of an OD so even if you cut ti down an inch you'd lose a ton of oil pressure still between the OD of the tool and the ID of the distributor hole.
It's looks great, but it's truly worthless. Old Distributor is a million times better.


Adam
Well no wonder your primer tool didn't work. The intake not only seals the oil pressure but takes ALL the wobble out of the shaft when rotating.
I bet there is nothing wrong with the tool.
HeadsU.P. is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:07 PM
  #14  
jackson
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Timmonsville SC
Posts: 5,324
Received 199 Likes on 187 Posts
Default

no.
jackson is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 10:09 AM
  #15  
NewbVetteGuy
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NewbVetteGuy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Location: Woodinville WA
Posts: 2,528
Received 204 Likes on 179 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P. View Post
Well no wonder your primer tool didn't work. The intake not only seals the oil pressure but takes ALL the wobble out of the shaft when rotating.
I bet there is nothing wrong with the tool.
*Sigh* Look at the 1 Star and 2 Star reviews on Amazon.com and Jegs saying exactly what I said.

I can also post a video just for you and do this all over again, if it makes you feel better.
No one should be buying this tool. Don't confuse someone into thinking it's not the tool.

I should've read more reviews first, but it's definitely the tool that's the issue.



Other recent reviews of the tool online:

A month ago: "This tool will not allow the right side lifter to build up oil pressure to the rockers. The oil galley way (channel)on the tool is spaced about 3/8" to wide, thus allowing oil to bypass the right lifter galley without building pressure."

A month ago: "Either it doesnt work on all SBC engines or it is designed incorrectly. The camshaft oil galley seal is not machined correctly for my GM crate HT383E, which leads to oil bleed off so you cannot lube top end."

"Looks Great:": "The Blue Bushing is located in the wrong area. It should be lower to seal the distributor hole in the casting of the block. This allows the oil to flow out of the passage and not pressurize the rest of the engine. I ended up cutting up the stock distributor and using it. I should have done that in the first place, but i love cool looking tools."

"tool was undersized, wouldnt pump on right head
tool did not work wouldn't pump up to right side of head. Used a old distributor, cut the head off (seen on you-tube) got oil on right side with in one minute"

"Bypasses oil 90% on upper half of engine.
I used it without the intake manifold being installed to see what it would do.Most of the oil was blowing out around the tool it was not saying oil into the engine heads".

"Do not buy this it not work." "I used it without installing the intake middle . So I could see what it was do. 90% of the oil was bypassing and not going and to the engine hands."


Adam









Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 06-11-2019 at 10:11 AM.
NewbVetteGuy is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SBC 350 Oil Prime: No oil to passenger's side


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: