Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

1969 Starter Wiring ID

Old 06-10-2019, 10:29 PM
LeMans Pete
CF Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
Default 1969 Starter Wiring ID

My wire colors are a bit irregular, can you help me ID the wires and their location on the solenoid, going from left to right, based on their gauge and connection? If it helps, I made a note in the AIM that the yellow (#4) appears to go to the S terminal.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:24 PM
Peterbuilt
CF Senior Member

Received 470 Likes on 428 Posts

All the red wires connect to the TOP solenoid terminal.
The black wire is a ground and connects to a starter or bell housing bolt.
Your yellow connects to the 'R' terminal on the solenoid.

The following users liked this post:
blue427 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM
bradleyb66
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt View Post
All the red wires connect to the TOP solenoid terminal.
The black wire is a ground and connects to a starter or bell housing bolt.
Your yellow connects to the 'R' terminal on the solenoid.
But I think one of those wires needs to connect to the 'S' terminal? Since the colors seem to be incorrect, I'd connect #3 to the large terminal and #2 (black) to the ground as Peterbuilt suggests, then use a test light or multi-meter to see which of the other two wires has 12 volts only when the key is turned to the 'start' position (and clutch pressed if you have a manual trans). The wire that has 12 volts only while the key is in the start position will go the 'S' terminal, and the other wire should be the one that goes to the coil?
Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 PM
LeMans Pete
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by bradleyb66
But I think one of those wires needs to connect to the 'S' terminal? Since the colors seem to be incorrect, I'd connect #3 to the large terminal and #2 (black) to the ground as Peterbuilt suggests, then use a test light or multi-meter to see which of the other two wires has 12 volts only when the key is turned to the 'start' position (and clutch pressed if you have a manual trans). The wire that has 12 volts only while the key is in the start position will go the 'S' terminal, and the other wire should be the one that goes to the coil?
This would be the smart approach. I don't agree that all the reds stack on the middle post, as they won't all fit (both in diameter and length).

Like I said, the only note I did make was that the yellow connector wire goes to the S terminal. I'm mostly confused where the black one goes.

I do already have the large black ground wire from the battery mounted to the starter with the secondary support to the bellhousing if that makes a difference.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 PM
bradleyb66
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete View Post
This would be the smart approach. I don't agree that all the reds stack on the middle post, as they won't all fit (both in diameter and length).

Like I said, the only note I did make was that the yellow connector wire goes to the S terminal. I'm mostly confused where the black one goes.

I do already have the large black ground wire from the battery mounted to the starter with the secondary support to the bellhousing if that makes a difference.
I'm fairly certain that the black one is ground, as PeterBuilt said. I've seen several threads where that wire has incorrectly been attached to the starter terminals, and things stop working. But, with the other wires having incorrect colors, who knows what Bubba did here. Maybe a picture of your current ground wire might help?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:21 PM
LeMans Pete
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I'm fairly certain that the black one is ground, as PeterBuilt said. I've seen several threads where that wire has incorrectly been attached to the starter terminals, and things stop working. But, with the other wires having incorrect colors, who knows what Bubba did here. Maybe a picture of your current ground wire might help?
Hi Bradley,

I agree that it's a ground wire, just not sure where to ground it?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 PM
LeMans Pete
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Current ground on starter.
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 AM
bradleyb66
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I think the wire you are referring to is actually the positive battery cable? Don't let the color fool you - the cable on my 69 is black also, but if it connects to the large terminal on the starter solenoid, then it's the positive cable. The only 'large' ground wires should be from the battery to the frame (right under the battery box), and in the front you should have a large cable running from the frame to one of the motor mount bolts (at least that's the 79 setup - I'm assuming that 69 should be similar, but haven't looked).

As PeterBuilt mentioned, the small ground wire in your first photo (#2) goes to one of the bolts that hold the starter on, or really, any bolt that connects to the block or bell housing in that general area.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 PM
LeMans Pete
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I think the wire you are referring to is actually the positive battery cable? Don't let the color fool you - the cable on my 69 is black also, but if it connects to the large terminal on the starter solenoid, then it's the positive cable. The only 'large' ground wires should be from the battery to the frame (right under the battery box), and in the front you should have a large cable running from the frame to one of the motor mount bolts (at least that's the 79 setup - I'm assuming that 69 should be similar, but haven't looked).

As PeterBuilt mentioned, the small ground wire in your first photo (#2) goes to one of the bolts that hold the starter on, or really, any bolt that connects to the block or bell housing in that general area.
Excellent,'I think you have me straightened out Bradley!
The following users liked this post:
bradleyb66 (06-13-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1969 Starter Wiring ID

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: