C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toe In way off after front end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 01:48 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Toe In way off after front end rebuild

So I installed new control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, center link ball and stud, and idler arm along with new springs in my 69 L46. Everything went pretty smooth except I noticed that the toe in was off - specifically
it was toed in about 1 inch too much on each wheel. I thought I had recorded the number of turns on each tie rod end and put it back that way, but I ended up having to get a rough toe in using a string from the back wheel to the front. So it appears fine now, but is it normal to have the toe in so far off after a rebuild?

Also, since my engine hasn't started in 4 months (because of various projects on the car) should I shoot some fogging oil in each cylinder before starting the car? I'm going to change the plugs out anyway so I thought that might be a good idea...
Old 06-19-2019, 02:26 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

old alignment settings may've been compensating for worn parts ... & none of us are dead nuts perfect.

Your toe experience Not unusual.

4 months ... no worry ... but if it makes you feel better, spritz it AND spin it over, just before you install new plugs ...
... short spin is perfect time to see oil pressure on gauge & fill fuel bowl.
Before you spin it over, perhaps drape motor ... but not w/ her "company's coming" towels.
The following users liked this post:
bmans vette (06-21-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 02:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Resetting new parts for the "number of turns" when old parts are disassembled merely gets you in the ballpark. Every time you change ANY parts in the steering/suspension system, you need a new alignment. These parts come from different manufacturers and there is way more tolerance in part manufacturing that can be tolerated for alignment tuning.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:16 PM
0CSM Performance
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

We've found on some aftermarket tie rod ends that the distance from the center of the joint (it's a ball joint by technicality) to the start of the threads is not always the same. Say it was normally 3" (arbitrary value) and their production tolerance ranges anywhere from 3.050" to 2.950". Even through you kept the thread count constant, the distance from the joint that you started the threads could be different from the original leading to a Toe condition. Same story for tolerances on the ball joints and such, who knows if they have the same exact joint center-line that the factory ones had. Bushings could be slightly off center, etc... They all combine to cause an error. Nothing an alignment can't solve!

Colton @ CSM Performance LLC
www.csmperformance.com
Old 06-19-2019, 03:16 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jackson
Before you spin it over, perhaps drape motor ... but not w/ her "company's coming" towels.
Oh to see my wife's face if she spotted her good towels on top of my engine... Married too long to pull that one - but that would be priceless to see!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:17 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Thanks 7T1vette!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:18 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Thanks CSM !
The following users liked this post:
CSM Performance (06-19-2019)