C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed a gilmer drive belt system on there 1979 Corvette? Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Pettyofficerramsey
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed a gilmer drive belt system on there 1979 Corvette? Need help.

Hi everyone I am installing a gilmer belt system on my 1979 Corvette the problems I'm running into are after taking off all of the pulley's and installing the gilmer belt drive is as follows.

1. The alternator shaft came up just a hair short , I was able to get the nut on the shaft with the new pulley but without the lock washer, tried placing the lock washer on with the nut and there was not enough threads with the lock washer installed. So I am looking for a solution to that.

2. After removing the two pulleys from the harmonic balancer and placing the new gilmer drive pulley in their place the V belt on the back of the the gilmer pully failed to line up with the power steering pump. I am in need of a spacer to bring the pulley out further away from the hamonic balancer which brings me to my question for someone that has installed one on theirs. How much of a spacer do I need to get the two too line up?

Thank you in advance.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:11 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Other than suggesting loctite red or green on alt threads, I have no help to offer here .. but ...
... why have you chosen to run Gilbert drive?
The following users liked this post:
Pettyofficerramsey (06-26-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:18 PM
Pettyofficerramsey
Cruising

Chose the gilmer system because of continuous belt slippage when engaging the four barrel.
I've changed out all my belts twice and treated them with belt dressing with still no luck.
And I seen someone on youtube with the same set up on their 73, and not only did it cure the belt slippage problem, it also lightened up the car a little since they are all aluminum and it makes a nice little whine like a supercharger at the same time, so win win win.
Also the new system can extend the life of your water pump and alternator due to less tension on the belt system, the Gilmer system stays on like a supercharger belt by groves not by tension.

Last edited by Pettyofficerramsey; 06-26-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I would not use red Loctite on a thread you might have to remove at some point. Use the blue stuff.
If I remember correctly, the thread on the alternator shaft is opposite of the direction of the spinning so it should not come loose.
Pettyofficerramsey (06-25-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Did you call Gilmer? You can always mill it down some Id imagine
Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The stock alternator pulley is assembled onto the shaft with a spacer behind it first (spacer, pulley, lock washer, nut). Maybe the new pulley doesn't use that spacer?
Old 06-25-2019, 11:59 PM
Pettyofficerramsey
Cruising

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Did you call Gilmer? You can always mill it down some Id imagine
I did contact them and they where not sure what others have done to remedy the problem.
I am thinking along the same lines, that if I mill the back half of the pulley down I will have have the clearance I need.
Or as suggested above using some blue lock tight to keep it from working it's way loose should do the trick.
I think I'm going to take it in steps, locktight first, then milling if the locktight doesn't hold.
But I'm pretty sure the blue locktight will hold it since it is a reversed thread .
I will just have to keep close eye on it for potential issues.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:07 AM
Pettyofficerramsey
Cruising

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The stock alternator pulley is assembled onto the shaft with a spacer behind it first (spacer, pulley, lock washer, nut). Maybe the new pulley doesn't use that spacer?
When I removed my stock pulley it came off in this order, ( nut, lock washer, pulley.) Unfortunately no spacer.
I might be able to gain just a hair by replacing the cooling blades but I dont think it will be enough to accept the lock washer and the nut.
Hmmmm, I'm might try a thinner lock washer if they make a thinner one that size.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:42 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Spacer must be behind the fan then.

Will it work without the lock washer? Put a dab of blue locktite on it instead.

Google Images shows a number of pictures of Gilmer pulleys on GM alternators and they seem to have enough shaft for the nut to fit even with the fan still on it.
Pettyofficerramsey (07-13-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone installed a gilmer drive belt system on there 1979 Corvette? Need help.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a gilmer drive belt system on there 1979 Corvette? Need help.