C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:10 AM
tzab19
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Exhaust

Good morning, I am looking to purchase a set of headers for my 81, looking for the best bang for my buck, any suggestions? I live in Chesterfield,Mi any good places that work on corvette's?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:58 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Your best bet is to go to Summit Racing web site. Punch in your info for long-tube, 1 /58" tubes, three bolt / three inch collector. Yr, make model, Exh port size. Then compare prices.

Please spend the extra money and get ceramic coated. You will not be sorry. The non-coated are a constant battle with rust and seldom last as long as ceramics.

Then you will need some soft metal gaskets for a good seal and ARP 12 point bolts listed under "header bolts" / fasteners (12 pack).

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 07-09-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:25 PM
mongoose87
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

I just put a set of flowtech headers on my 1972 vette. Here is the part number:
BIG-31106FLT
They were the best bang for buck option that I found.
I bought these after trying out some really cheap stainless headers off ebay, but the ones from ebay didn't allow enough ground clearance despite being marketed as c3 corvette headers. Not saying you can't get some from ebay on the cheap, but i think it would take a lot of trial and error and wasted money. Most of them are not coated either, so if you factor in 2 rolls of heat wrap or about $250 for another company to coat them, these come out to be a good value.
My '72 doesn't have air conditioning, so I can't speak to that A/C bracket that may need to be changed.

The passenger side went on easy, but on the drivers side the oil dip stick tube had to be removed
Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Gunfighter13
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tzab19
Good morning, I am looking to purchase a set of headers for my 81, looking for the best bang for my buck, any suggestions? I live in Chesterfield,Mi any good places that work on corvette's?
The only issue you may have is ground clearance issues with long tube headers. The floors are different than the earlier C3 Vettes. Most say they will fit 1965-1982 year models but that is not true. Maybe some one with long tube headers on a 80-82 can provide some photos and a good part number.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:55 AM
StDomingos
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I put exactly the same headers as Mongoose87 mentioned in my 81 last year. No problems with fitment or ground clearance at all. I’m quite happy for the money.

Get notified of new replies

To Header Exhaust

Quick Reply: Header Exhaust