C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with electrical problem...probably easy for most of you!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 03:21 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Need help with electrical problem...probably easy for most of you!

I need some help with a small electrical problem....

This summer I had a hard time keeping my battery charged...needed to charge it often to get it started. The battery finally went dead and I replaced it.

The car sat for ~2 months without being started after I replaced the battery. I tried to start it this weekend and it was flat dead again. I put a charger on the battery and was able to start it a couple days later.

I took it out last night to put gas in it for one last ride for the year...I noticed that when I was idling, the dash lights were dim and the blinkers were slow. When I brought the RPMs up, the lights would brighten up, the blinkers would speed up, and the voltage gauge (previous owner put this in) would increase to 13-14 volts (it was around 12 volts at idle). Now today when I drove it into work, the blinkers seemed to be the faster speed, even at idle.

So, what would the cause of the dim lights/slow blinkers be? Is it a sign that my alternator isn't working...or is it just that maybe my battery isn't fully charged yet?

Next I'd like to discuss why this is happening. I had the car for a few years and didn't have any battery problems. The last couple of years I have been hearing a VERY faint sound that sounded like a car alarm going off...VERY faint. The previous owner had installed an after-market alarm that he told me didn't work. So I thought maybe this alarm was drawing some current and draining the battery. So, I removed it so I knew that it wouldn't be pulling any current and I thought that would solve the problem. I did this when I got the new battery this summer.

Now, I STILL hear the faint alarm sound. What could this be? I believe 1970 Corvettes had a factory alarm option, but I don't know if my car has it. I'd be surprised if it does, because I don't have many options (A/C, power windows, etc)...so I'd be surprised if it had the optional factory alarm...but maybe it does and that's what's drawing the current? How do I tell if I have the alarm? I know it's a stupid question. But where would it be, and how would I disconnect it? Can anyone else think of what might be causing this faint sound and draining my battery?

Thanks for any thoughts/comments!!
Old 11-08-2002, 03:35 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Need help with electrical problem...probably easy for most of you! (Mpls Funk)

I found that I was alternately replacing my battery and alternator for the past several years. Never both together. Well, I found that I was 'eating' alternators like crazy. I'm on my third (and last) for the alternator warranty that I received from Discount Auto. Although, this time I also replaced the battery with it. Problem solved. I think that it all started with a drain on the battery. Having a weak battery, the alternator was always charging/catching up. The battery would go and then shortly followed by the alternator failing/giving up the ghost.

I'd suggest you have the alternator tested and possibly replaced. Also, get the battery good and charged. If the problem persists after checking/replacing the alternator and getting battery charged good, I'd go through the following checklist.

Other areas to check for good connections:
Are you running a high amp stereo system. They can put major demands on a 20 year old wiring harness and charging circuit.
Starter solenoid posts - tighten cables/connections
battery +/- terminals tighten
car alarm - I finally disconnected mine since it is 'always on'
examine your battery cables - may have some damage from underneath as they run from battery to starter

With the 20-year old wiring in the C3's, there is some drain from clock, alarm system, etc. that, if you leave the battery connected and the car sits for more than a few weeks, the battery will need a charge. I have resorted to disconnecting my battery if I know the car will sit for an indefinite time.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:27 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Need help with electrical problem...probably easy for most of you! (Mpls Funk)

As for the factory alarm, you would have a key lock in the center of the rear. the horn is located up inside the driver's side rear fender. You should have door switches at the rear of the doors as well as the front, and one under the hood on the passengers side above the heater box. The relay, etc. for the alarm is located in the storage compartments under the bins, the main power feed is orange(I think). The sound they make is to blow the horn, which could be a low mmm if it is rusted or defective. Do you hear this with the car off? The alarm is turned off or on by the rear key lock.

One option to isolate the drain, is to pull fusesone at a time.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with electrical problem...probably easy for most of you!

Quick Reply: Need help with electrical problem...probably easy for most of you!