Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...

C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...

Old 12-03-2002, 05:49 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (soundguy)

Why not just buy a shiny new Honda to start with instead of bastardizing an American classic with these ricer monstrosities that look like they'd be more at home on a forklift or baggage cart.

I'm glad that Zora isn't around to witness this particularly unsettling era of car mods...
[sarcasim]
Allright soundguy! :thumbs: thats what we're used to hearing when this topic comes up!!! and let me tell ya, i cant get enough of it. i love it when vette owners rip on each-other for opinions on minor stuff. ITS NOT YOUR CAR. if you don't like it, hit the back button.[/sarcasim]

Great wheels Stingraycrazy, i want to see those mounted! i am going to get Intro's Vista, or Twisted Vista. i wanted 18s, but i may consider 20"s. i was at a Classics, RODs, and Customs show last weekend and saw tons of cars with 20s. mostly boyd coddington... :confused: SOUNDGUY: NO HONDAS! %100 CLASSIC AMERICAN MUSCLE AT THIS SHOW!

Pics of the wheels i want:

OR

18x10 rears and 18x8 fronts with rubber is under $3000. 20s would probably be nearing $3500 with rubber.

Please email me pics when you get everything together!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Hey Groovy, you got any new pics of your wheels mounted? im dying to see 20s to see if i want to go that big. :cheers:

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 4:14 AM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-03-2002, 06:07 AM
groovyjay
CF Senior Member

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Stingraycrazy)

Stingraycrazy: What company's are you talking about? I've been in contact with BAER, WILWOOD and BREMBO and none of them have bolt on big brake kit for C3.

I got an offer from a Germany based company called Mov'it, They use Brembo monoblock calibers and you get to choose the rotor diameter to match your application. So far they are the only company I've come across who makes direct bolt on kit for C3, regardless of the rotor diameter. They provide everything from braided lines to caliber brackets and pads. Please let me know if there's better solutions for this, 'cause this kit costs 7000$. :cheers:
Old 12-03-2002, 06:11 AM
groovyjay
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (427V8)

[QUOTE]Off the shelf?

Who makes brake systems for Vettes that are actually better than stock? Besides that german place that wants like $3000 per axel?[QUOTE]

Thanks Keith, I didn't see your reply there at first, yeah you actually got it covered already :lol: :cheers:
Old 12-03-2002, 06:17 AM
groovyjay
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (groovyjay)

Here's the offer I've received awhile back:

Offer

mov’it brake system for
Chevrolet Corvette C3 from 1979 with 20” American Racing Torque Thrust 2 rims

Dear Mr. Ahola,

thank you very much for your enquiry We appreciate your interest in our equipment and
are pleased to submit the following quotation for your “Corvette C3”:

Front-axle:

for 18/19“ rims with min. 428 mm inner diameter

 movit 6m1 6-piston-aluminium MONOBLOC calipers 28/32/38 mm piston dia
rotors, 380 x 32 mm vented and cast-in holes
genuie pad set for street use ( 78,5 cm² )
custom adapters for a.m. calipers, CNC machined from highest grade steel alloy
customer brake bells for a.m. rotors, CNC machined from highest grade aluminium alloy
custom stainless steel coated PTFE lines for front & rear

price: complete kit including all needed parts: € 5250,00 + 16% tax + shipping

Rear-axle:

 movit 4s1 4-piston-aluminium-calipers, 28/28 mm piston dia.
rotors, 322 x 28 mm vented and cast-in holes
genuie pad set for street use (62,5 cm²)
custom adapters for a.m. calipers, CNC machined from highest grade steel alloy
customer brake bells for a.m. rotors, CNC machined from highest grade aluminium alloy
custom stainless steel coated PTFE lines for front & rear

price: complete kit including all needed parts: 2550,00 + 16% tax + shipping

!!! Important !!! Please measure !!!
From the outer side of the disk to the inner side to the wheel spoks we need a caliper clearance
Of 70 mm. If you don`t have this place you need spacers; for one axle € 160,00

Calipers in red with scripting “mov´it” free of charge
Custom caliper scripting for one kit (e.g. Corvtte) € 130,00 net + 16% tax
Changing the calipers calour and caliper scripting € 200,00 net +16% tax

Iinstallation you can do also by yourself or an working station, you need between 4 - 5 hours
for one axle. The kits are preassembelde to make installation easier. The parking brake works
as before.

The prices are all net, so you have to pay also the tax of 16%.

4-piston- aluminium calipers guarantee extreme braking force since they are developed for heavy street cars, not light race cars. The unsprung weight is reduced by using highest grade aluminium alloy.

A unique ventilation system with a surface nearly twice as big as a normal disc guarantees
absolut fading free operation, also under extreme conditions on the track or for heavy security
cars.

Our brake kits offer highest quality with maximum braking force and highest fading resistance.
The lifetime of the wear items is by far higher then any other product on the market. It is nearly unpossible to bring these brake kits to the limit. Absolute no fading !!

All items are produced on our modern in-house CNC working stations, using highest grade
steel or aluminium alloy, under water- ultra sound tested and coated to prevent corrosion.

If you have further questions do not hesitate to contact us !

Best regards

mov’it
Old 12-03-2002, 06:17 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jay, your not addressing my post! :lol:
got any new pics of the mounted 20s? in the sig pic you have they dont look too big to me. meaning toooo big. and all those 20 inchers i saw last weekend on C1s/chevelles/mustangs etc looked great.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:21 AM
groovyjay
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... ('79ProwlerOrange)

Hi There Prowler, how;s things? I absolutely love those wheels you posted in this thread, the upper ones! Who makes them?
I haven't been able to take more pics lately, cause I'm still living in the UK for 9 more days, then it;s time to go back to Finland and start ripping the car apart again... just the doors, hood, bumbers etc to get it ready for painting! I try to see if I have any more pics of the wheels.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:27 AM
groovyjay
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (Stingraycrazy)

Here's how the 20"x10" rear wheel looks:

[Modified by groovyjay, 1:33 PM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-03-2002, 07:05 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think that top 78/79 vette has to have 22" or something because the 20s look great on your car. Intro makes the wheels. http://www.hvydeez.com <--- thier retailer. they will make any size, and every set is custom to the car it is going on. the Vistas are the only wheels i like from them really... what color did you decided to paint it? red if i remember...

things are going ok for me. im slowly buying an interior for the vette, and currently scraping away at the current interior to clean it up, and sound deaden it. we have some boo-boos to fix on the paint, but i want to wait until its all together to fix. the worst is the fromt spoiler. we used the wrong primer, so it chipped :mad but its an easy fix.

no rush on pix, itll be at least 3-6 months before i can afford wheels, so im in no hurry.:D
Old 12-03-2002, 07:58 AM
groovyjay
CF Senior Member

Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... ('79ProwlerOrange)

Thanks for the link. I think the colour will be black, but I still have two weeks to decide otherwise. Glad you still got the car, that is going to be one of the nicest cars on the forum when finished. :cheers:
Old 12-03-2002, 11:21 AM
Stingraycrazy
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Jay,
Looks like we are talking about the same company (Movit) :eek: I didn't know Wilwood and Baer didn't have any big brake upgrades for C3's. I assumed... I guess I made an butt of myself on that one... I sent an email to the below site for a quote for basically your same request. I'll post there reply when I get it.
http://www.ultimategarage.com/bbcorvet.html

SoundGuy, No comment. I think 79ProwlerOrange covered it just fine :yesnod:

Thanks Ben, your Vette Rocks! I was set on a color just like my buddy, "Smokedtires" but after seeing yours I don't know... I looked hard at the wheels you posted above before I bought mine. There's a guy 69MyWay, Chris you need to talk with. He has a set of Penta's from the same company. He loves em! :crazy:
Old 12-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Stingraycrazy
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (SmokedTires)

Yea Mike, I'll give ya my tires when I done with em... :lol:
Old 12-03-2002, 11:39 AM
tshort
CF Senior Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

This is one thing I always find funny....In the original post Stingraycrazy asked for our opinion on his new wheels. Now, I agree, soundguy was a little harsh but ease up on him, after all, Stingraycrazy DID ask for opinions and that's what soundguy was doing, giving him his opinion.
Okay now, that's off my chest :p:
Old 12-03-2002, 11:43 AM
ry
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (tshort)

wheels llok great. show pics when you get em on
Old 12-03-2002, 12:17 PM
groovyjay
CF Senior Member

I did assumed that wilwood or Baer would make kit for these cars, but no. It's kinda funny when you think about how many of these cars (C2 and C3) were made and how many would like to have a brake upgrade for them these days. You can get Corvette socks and tie and all kinds of other stuff, but when it comes to better brakes you're almost on your own. I like what Keith has done with Wilwood's and he's got some great ideas about better brakes. I hope he'd start making the kit for us ;) :yesnod: :D :cheers:
Anyways keep us posted on your project, now that Merlin's almost done, we need another Vette nut here! :lol: :cheers:
Old 12-03-2002, 01:19 PM
MN-Brent
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree with you Groovy Jay. For example, on 4th gen F-body, you can get a brake upgrade kit which requires you to saw off some of the existing suspension metal to allow fitment of a new caliper mounting bracket, caliper and larger rotor while possibly retaining the existing MC. To me thats a pretty fair amount of customization to fit a new brake set-up.

It seems to me, if we could get a kit with new mounting brackets which allows use of floating pin high grade aluminum calipers, whether GM or aftermarket, there would be a substantial demand for this since the maintenance would be much less severe with this style design.

I believe in as previous discussion on this subject on the forum, the argument against using calipers like Z06 type is the C3 calipers possibly offer more stopping power due to the 2x2 piston set-up and total surface area of applied pressure by 4 pistons.

Almost wish I had some venture capital, this doesnt really seem unfeasible and you could maybe partner with a group like VBP.

Brent.....
Old 12-03-2002, 01:34 PM
Stingraycrazy
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (tshort)

Hey Jay, Hold on a minute... No way do I compare to Merlin's insanity. That Vette is a monster... I love reading his first ride post. I got car :U just from reading it... Unreal!

Travis I agree with you... :yesnod: I asked an opinion and I got em. Thanks for all of them. I appreciate honest opinions. But I take offence to my Corvette being compared to a Honda.

Red73, Those wheels do look allot larger than Jay's. They must be bigger than 20's...
Old 12-03-2002, 01:51 PM
Stingraycrazy
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jay, where did you get the side pipes? I noticed they weren't the 4 into 1 version. I would like side pipes on my car. With the Turbos the pipes would need to start from the Turbo exhaust flange @ 3" in diameter. :crazy:
Old 12-03-2002, 03:41 PM
burners
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Those are pretty cool looking wheels. I would really like to see them on the car to get a real feel for how they look. I am of the opinion that 20's look a little cartoonish on C3's. I haven't seen a lot so I'll reserve judgment.

Check these out. Sorry for the picture size. I just linked to their web site

I think these are some of the best looking wheels. They look really sharp on a C3. I believe they are 18". The rear tires could be a little wider, they don't fit the rims to well.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:07 PM
Stingraycrazy
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes... (burners)

Burners, that’s a Sweeet ride... Whose car is that? The ZL1 flares look awesome on Shark's. I hope mine look as good. I like the headlights. My tilt front-end doesn’t have the headlight cutouts and that gives me an Idea :thumbs: Very cool looking wheels. The open wheel look is what I was after... :crazy:
Old 12-03-2002, 04:17 PM
Titanium Rat
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

those are some good looking wheels,,,,on a c3, who makes them?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Now that's a big wheel! Now I need some fancy brakes...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: