C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 12:14 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS

Im pretty sure we have seen those little Hondas with the big wings and engines that sound like a weed eater, the wild paint jobs, and the expensive wheels. I understand that the compact cars are quite popular and in my opinion the General had produced a vehicle that just may be the answer to these ricers and that vehicle is the....Pontiac Fiero. In fiero GT you have the looks already in place, areodynamic,lightweight(SMC panels attatched to a steel tublar frame...the engineers called this a 'space frame') mid engined so weight distribution is a non issue, has fastback pillars and a spoiler already on the rear of the vehicle. As far as engine performance is concerned it already comes with a larger engine (2.8l V-6 Chevy engine) at idle it warbles an offbeat rhythm that rises to a splendid snarl when asked. And most important you can place in it virtually any engine made by GM. I have seen the high output quad 4 engine, you can even fit a small block chevy V8 back there with all the HP you want, yes I have also seen the late model corvette engine and even and I could not believe this... the northstar engine :eek:, it came with a short throw Muncie-Getrag tranny. As far as handling the rear tires were larger than the front and came with BBS cloned wheels, and the 88GT had the WS6 suspension package. In my opinion this vehicle already has a solid foundation to build on. This was my first car(purchased it in 1988) because at the time I had always wanted a C3 vette but couldnt get one until two years ago. I was in my early 20's then. Comments an opinions are welcome.

[Modified by Oldguard 7, 5:15 AM 12/7/2002]
Old 12-07-2002, 12:37 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS (Oldguard 7)

There are two locals with BAD AZZ Fiero's. One has a Ferrari 355 kit on it with real Ferrari interior and the whole set cost him about $50K for the car. Under the rear hood sits a DOHC Northstar Caddy V8 with a 200hp shot of Nitrous. His friend has one with the stock body but has a built LT4 in the rear.

I'd drive that 355 replica. :yesnod:
Old 12-07-2002, 02:43 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS (Oldguard 7)

Yep, Fieros are cool.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:04 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I had a Fiero' 88 Formula 2.8 the last of them in '88 was the best of the bunch, upgraded suspension and brakes....run like a charm...BUT you have to get used to the rear engine design....in the rain it's a constant arguement as to which end is first down the road....allways gave me that impression....
needed Posi in the rear...but that might have made it worse....
the 2.8 DPFI engine was a fine performer, good enough for a car of that size...really, but the engine swap you really want is the Northstar....
any more weight in the rear is/would be a killer aspect due to the wet weather handling....

negatives are like all other GM cars of the era, including Vettes...the interior sucked....cheap plastic abounded...poorly executed and short lived....

overall, I wish I had my '88 Formula back again...regretted selling it,....

GENE
Old 12-07-2002, 03:04 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My '88 GT was a blast to drive, handled like it was on rails but even with the factory installed 2.8 "big" motor :rolleyes: they imo are painfully underpowered. I would have kept it forever had I had the storage space :cheers:
Old 12-07-2002, 03:17 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS (yellow 72)

Yellow, I don't know what was going on with your car...mine was automatic...only a 3 speed as I recall...but anyway, that thing would suprise a whole lot of things off the line...took many a ricer in an inpromptu street tangle....of course I tuned it right, not some EPA settings....took out a LOT of pollution things...and bumped the timing a bit....overhauled the distributor...

GENE
Old 12-07-2002, 05:07 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS (mrvette)

Oh I'm sure it would have smoked a lot of stuff, but it still lacked that hard pulling torque. Mine was a bone stock 5 speed but well tuned :cheers:
Old 12-07-2002, 06:08 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS (yellow 72)

NO, it not have the torque of a V8, but in all honesty the V8 has troubles getting traction the way that rear engine/tranny combo did....with a torque converter, that silly little car could launch pretty good....hard to burn rubber, but the swat in the butt on take off was pretty impressive without burning rubber uselessly...and in the rain...it was ASTOUNDING!!! easy beating any FWD car....weight xfer is the reason, I think.....

not much of an engine to be sure, but the chevvy books used to list lotsa parts, and there was a fair support on aftermarket stuff also....

then again they did do a 3.1 and something bigger yet, I think in a 60degree V6 combo....which should bolt in no sweat....
NOW, I think the SB V8 is a bit much on the weight....but the NOrthstar would be about equal weight wise....but would need posi traction at that point....

that '88 had vented rotors....not so shabby for a POS....

GENE
Old 12-07-2002, 06:26 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS (mrvette)

there is a cool post in the 'other cars' section about fieros :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS

Quick Reply: NON C3 TOPIC: PONTIAC FIERO....RICER KILLER?......COMMENTS