C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 11:35 PM
Bacchus
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good deal?

I'm new to Corvette's and am looking at buying my first one. Here's a run-down: '72 t-top, all original w/64k miles. Mille Magenta Red (sp?), black interior. Automatic, air, power windows. Paint is "okay" from 20 feet, but will probably need to be redone soon. Mechanically the car runs out good, shifts fine, etc. Engine puffs smoke at first start-up, but then gone (probably guides). Interior is very clean and solid. All gauges work, except clock. Lights pop-up just fine, and wipers and windows work great. no apparent major leaks. Frame is solid and no stress cracks in the body that I could find. Tires are 90%. One muffler has just developed a hole. Brakes have not been worked on, but are currently working well with no leaks or pulls.

$9,000. Good deal? Or not?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2002, 11:39 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Good deal? (Bacchus)

The indication of smoke upon start up is more than likely the valve seals. Nothing a valve job couldn't take care of. $9K sounds pretty good, especially a low mileage car.

If it all looks well, I'd go for it. :cheers:

[Modified by Corey 68, 10:49 PM 12/7/2002]
Old 12-07-2002, 11:42 PM
Bacchus
Safety Car

Default Re: Good deal? (Corey 68)

Thanks. I thought the mileage looked pretty good too. And I agree, the initial smoke is probably nothing more than guides or seals and a valve job would take care of that. Anything additional I should look for?

Brian
Old 12-07-2002, 11:47 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

I will give you a forewarning....

These C-3's can get addictive. You put new carpet in and the seats look rotten. You redo the seats and the paint looks lousy. Next thing you know you have the body off and the motor in pieces. :)

Don't believe me? Look around this board!

:cheers:
Old 12-07-2002, 11:48 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are the chrome bumpers? You said the wipers work...does this include the wiper door? Valve seals are not a difficult job to do. Even so...I think 9k is a good deal. I have almost the exact 72, but it was in worse shape than yours when I bought it. So I would Go for it!!! :yesnod: :thumbs: :yesnod: :thumbs:
Eddie
Old 12-07-2002, 11:56 PM
Bacchus
Safety Car

The bumpers look good. The front is near perfect. The rear(s) are just starting to show those telltale signs of what look like small spiderwebs, but which I know to be rust/corrosion starting to come up through. They could be rechromed for sure without problem.

Brian
Old 12-08-2002, 01:26 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are some articles that you might want to check out.

Mechanic Inspection before buying C3 - Part 1 http://corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part1.htm
Mechanic Inspection before buying C3 - Part 2 http://corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part2.htm
Mechanic Inspection before buying C3 - Part 3 http://corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part3.htm

Visit Corvette Forum member, Terry Rudy's web site for more good links than you could ever hope for!
www.corvetteFAQ.com http://corvettefaq.com/index.asp
Old 12-08-2002, 02:18 PM
Bacchus
Safety Car

Default Re: Good deal? (MIKER)

Great feedback everyone, thanks!

Brian
Old 12-08-2002, 02:34 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian that looks like a sweet deal. Take advantage of it! :cheers:
Old 12-08-2002, 06:32 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

You didn't mention whether it is big or small block? If it is a big block, it's probably a steal. Make real sure about that frame though, rust hides in the corners ahead of both rear kickups where the main rear crossmember meets the side rails. Repairs in those areas will mean a frame-off restoration. Also remove enough trim and molding to inspect the windshield frame at both top corners and at the bottom where the body mounts are. As far as a little somke on startup, big blocks are famous for that (probably valve guides). Hope you have fun with that Vette, and welcome to the forum!

Get notified of new replies

To Good deal?

Quick Reply: Good deal?