C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[The Bad Vendor Experience (that never ends)] Did you know that. . .

Old 12-04-2002, 07:35 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default [The Bad Vendor Experience (that never ends)] Did you know that. . .

When you have the bank put a "STOP PAYMENT" on a check, the stop payment is only good for 6 months? I didn't know that until last week when Carl Shuhi cashed an 8 month old check of mine for $322. I thought the check was forever null and void. Carl is the owner of VettePartsOnline, formerly/currently!?! known as: (Florida Caliper Manufacturers, Inc. Florida Corvette Manufacturers, Inc. Florida Precision Calipers, Inc. and Vette Parts.)
For those who may not know or recall my situation, I sent Carl my caliper cores and ordered the Premium Caliper Kit on February 15, 2002. I learned of his deceptive business practices shortly AFTER I sent him my cores. It was TOO LATE to turn back.
On 3-18-02 I had to pick up my order at the UPS office because it had been delivered COD. I paid the COD with a personal check and then immediately upon returning home I opened the box to find what other victims had warned me of. It was an incomplete order (short 4 brake lines) with three of the four calipers containing the wrong pistons among other defects and one of the brake pad liners was completely separated from its metal backing. This was obviously unacceptable so I stopped payment on the check used for paying the UPS C.O.D. and immediately sent an email message to Carl to with pictures of the calipers that he had sent and notified him that I STOPPED PAYMENT ON THE CHECK, etc.
To make a L-O-N-G story short, after going through a LOT of B.S., on April 8th we agreed to settle up with me paying $239.82 and I ended up with 4 good calipers remanufactured by Lone Star Caliper Co. They weren't equipped with O-ring pistons like I had originally wanted but at least I once again had brakes for my car.
I thought that was the end of it but on 6-6-02 I received a bill from Carl. He claimed that I owed him for an additional caliper and extra freight. I sent him a reply debunking his bogus bill and that was the last I heard from him until last week when he cashed the original $322 check from 3-18-02.
I think we caught it early enough and our bank credited our account and renewed the stop payment.
Sooo. . . What would you guys do if you were in this situation?

Hey Carl Shuhi, stop lurking on the CorvetteForum and JOIN. I would certainly like to hash this out with you right here, in open forum.

Whew! Almost fricked up and bought Caliper 2000 rear calipers http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=440687
[BAD Vendor Experience] Ordered from Vette Parts in Delray Beach, Florida http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=258171
UPDATE: [BAD Vendor Experience] Vette Parts in Delray Beach, Florida http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...590341#2590341
Vette Parts Online complaints http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=379511 http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/n...33000000004868
Old 12-04-2002, 08:07 PM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (that never ends)] Did you know that. . . (MIKER)

Never new that about checks, that's pretty dumb. As for Carl, what a dick.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:20 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (C3 Shark Tank)

That is very interesting. I have never stopped payment on a check, but I would never DREAM that it would only be good for 6 months. Why do I get the feeling that this guy has had lots of experience with stopped checks??? That is really unbelievable that a bank stops payment on a check, presumably for a good reason such as fraud.... but after 6 months will pay the check??? That blows my mind!!! And I guess after one year they wont pay even a good check. Anyway, good luck and thanks for the heads up.. I think I will remember this! :) MJ
Old 12-04-2002, 08:32 PM
greatgonzoglenn
Racer

Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (that never ends)] Did you know that. . . (MIKER)

If you ever meet him, kick him in the N*TS. That's BS and I hope the word gets out on this guy and NOBODY gives them their hard earned money. He sure in the hell doesn't deserve a penny. Just my .02.... :cuss :nono: :mad :flag
Old 12-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (greatgonzoglenn)

I never knew that............man that is sick
Old 12-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I would speak with your bank. Stop payment means null and void. They made the mistake.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:26 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (paul79)

I agree. this guy deserves to have his berries mashed.

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 7:27 PM 12/4/2002]
Old 12-04-2002, 09:41 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

I did not think that a personal check would be be good for more than six months. How long is a personal check good for?

Dwayne
Old 12-04-2002, 09:47 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Dang Mike, I thought you lived on top of the hill. And sh-it only flows downhill. This guy must be some really bad sh-it. :smash: :smash:

I've gotten the word out to at least 3 different Vette owner who were looking at purchasing his O-ring calipers. None of them surf the forum, so when I showed them a print out of your past topics, none of them bought from him. One guy is up the street, 79, another is in Chicago, 73 (but he just sold) and the third guy works in my office, 82 CE.

So his bad practices published on the forum has certainly have hurt his income. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 12-04-2002, 09:52 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (BigBlockVette)

I did not think that a personal check would be be good for more than six months. How long is a personal check good for?
Personal checks are normally null and void if not cashed within six months of the date written on them, so he probably knew what he was doing. If you receive a copy of the cashed check, see if he changed the date (which is technically a forgery)!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What a total scumbag!!! :cuss It is a real shame that he has the potential to produce a quality product, but can't get his act together to do things the right way. :nono:
Old 12-05-2002, 08:56 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luckily your bank gave you your cash back and renewed the stop payment. However, that means good ol Carl got an extra $322 out of the deal, right? Please don't tell me that Carl has gotten away +$500 for rippin you off.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:12 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

MIKER,
I went through that BUT for alot less money, 6 months after I had to stop payment on an ebay deal my bank wanted MORE MONEY to issue another "stop payment" BUT at the same time they told me a check is only good for 6 months.
...redvetracr
Old 12-05-2002, 03:12 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (that never ends)] Did you know that. . .

Apparently personal checks are good FOREVER??? and stop payments are only valid for 6 months. This is all new to me as well because this is the first time that I have EVER stopped payment on a check but somehow I get the feeling that Carl knows a LOT about this kind of stuff. I have learned a lot from doing business with Carl and I have been more cautious about online purchases ever since.
$322 has indeed been credited back to my account and my bank did not charge me for renewing the stop payment. However I have no idea what took place with his account. As far as I know, he'll continue trying to cash that check for the next 30 years :crazy: :lol: That will require me to renew the stop payment 60 times :eek: :lol:

There is a lot of informative consumer protection information online. I recommend that everyone spend some time reviewing it.
I don't like posting negative crap on the forum but I feel obligated to warn my fellow Vette owners and I feel that all of you would do the same.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:23 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

MIKER, My wife tells me that a personal check is only good for 6 months (as others have mentioned above). At least that would logically explain why a stop payment is only good for 6 months: Because after 6 months the check is null and void anyway and you shouldn't need a stop payment. SO... either the bank cashed it in error without noticing the date, or your friend changed the date, which as mentioned above, is fraud. Might be worth looking at the check.... to check :) MJ
Old 12-05-2002, 04:13 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (MNJack)

I agree. A null and void cheque is fini.
Old 12-05-2002, 04:29 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An old check is called a "stale dated" check. The bank made an error in processing it. But if you ever saw how quickly checks get processed, you'd be amazed that more errors aren't made. If the check was cashed as part of a bank account deposit, your bank will likely get the money back from his bank account...

Get notified of new replies

To [The Bad Vendor Experience (that never ends)] Did you know that. . .

Old 12-05-2002, 05:15 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (page62)

Or in the future you could do what companies do on their reimbursement checks. In the comments section, write "not valid if not cashed or deposited by XX/XXXX"

The entire check is legal tender (I asked my wife who is a lawyer) and if the bank accepts the check after this date, they are responsible for the funds.
That is why businesses do it that way, but they also have extra protection in that the checks are drawn off separate accounts too.

Sorry for the ordeal though, that sucks. :mad
Old 12-05-2002, 08:32 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: [The Bad Vendor Experience (phoenix)

What a crook! :eek:
Old 12-11-2002, 01:02 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My bank refuses checks over 6 months old. It should not have been honored by your bank. I would assume the stop payment expiration would coincide with the stale check policy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [The Bad Vendor Experience (that never ends)] Did you know that. . .