C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you paid with a CC do a charge back ASAP as well.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:44 PM
daniel444
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default affordable fuel injection is scam ,fraud ,junk

SCAM - FRAUD- i spend $1300 .it doesnt work no matter what you do, i have 4 holes on my intake manifold , this tbi has 2 holes ,it doesnt align with holes at all. plus ECM was used from junk yard , chip wasnt programmed , the wiring was incorrect ,norman told the me swith the wires backward , now i returned all that junk ,they refunded me less than half what i paid for ,$625 ,i lost 2 weeks fooling around this junk . i lost close to $2000 ,for auto repair shop , fuel line hoses , muffler shop , i have a huge damage to my truck , drilling , pinching wires , removing all the smog vacuum lines ,hoses , STAY AWAY <YOU ARE WARNED > it is FRAUD < SCAMMING> it is like this ,i go to junk yard pull out the TBI from old truck from junk yard all send it to you ,if you cant make it work ,i only refund less than half of what you paid for. PERFECT SCAM < i dont care about their return policy all that, MY POLICY IS ,DONT SEND ME JUNK DOESNT WORK AT ALL.i called BBB , i disputed the charges with my bank , i am taking them to court soon ,
Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 AM
daniel444
6th Gear

Default dont waste money on AFI is a scam

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
You see that powdercoated chrome tpi unit on special for 1550.00 with custom harness and everything,that has your name written all over it.
NO RETURN POLICY AT ALL .IF YOU RETURN THEY CHARGE MORE THAN 50 PERCENT . JUNK .SCAM . FRAUD . BUY EDELBROCK . HOLLEY . EZ FAST . MSD . THEY LOOK LIKE A CARBURETOR , AND FITS LIKE ONE . Used parts from junk yards . Ecm .chip doesnt work etc .STAY CLEAR .FROM AFI. Affordable fuel injection is scam . I called my bank disputed the charges . I called BBB .Attorney general . Next I am going to court with them . Keep your carburetor .it is simple . affordable fuel injection too many things to go wrong with . 1.fuel pump 2 ecm .3 chip .4 coolant temp sensor .5 map sensor . 6 throttle body sensor 7 idle sensor 8 wiring .9 too many lose end wires with this 10 distributor 11 ignition module . I can give alit of more reasons to stay clear from Affordable Fuel injection . You get worse gas mpg .less power .more headache. Cold start exist all day .my carburetor has no problems at all .
Old 03-21-2014, 04:37 AM
daniel444
6th Gear

Default affordable fuel injection is SCAM .FRAUD junk yards parts

Originally Posted by phoenix
I found this site and have been getting information from them.

Has anyone dealt with them or have experience with them?
http://www.affordable-efi.com/

Thanks
It speak for itself NO RETURN POLICY AT ALL .50 PERCENT CHARGE EVEN MORE .THAT IS $700. NO WARRANTY AT ALL .
Old 03-21-2014, 04:40 AM
daniel444
6th Gear

Default affordable fuel injection is SCAM .FRAUD junk yards parts

Originally Posted by phoenix
I found this site and have been getting information from them.

Has anyone dealt with them or have experience with them?
http://www.affordable-efi.com/

Thanks
It speak for itself NO RETURN POLICY AT ALL .50 PERCENT CHARGE EVEN MORE .THAT IS $700. NO WARRANTY AT ALL .affordable fuel injection is dumbest things out there .biggest scam artists .I promise .I let the whole world know about their scam .I let BBB knows about their scam
Old 03-21-2014, 04:48 AM
daniel444
6th Gear

Affordable fuel injection is scam . No warranty .no return policy . 50 percent refund .you lose $ MORE THAN $700 .junk yards used parts .wrong wiring etc fraud .scam .too many **** to go wrong with .bad gas MPG .BAD STARTS COLD OR HOT .no power etc .carburetor has nothing to wrong with .very dependable for years
Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 PM
daniel444
6th Gear

Default affordable fuel injection i junk ,scam

stay away from AFI it doent work . they wont refund your money , all used junk yard parts , ecm ,chip is used , tbi is used ,ecm not programmed at all. You pay more than $1300 ,they only refund $600 ,wiring is all incorrect . biggest scam out there . you would cause so much damage to your truck , stay clear , go buy ez fast , edelbrock , holley ,howell ,,,, afi doesnt even align with my intake manifold holes , my intake manifold holes 4 of them , afi has 2 holes , biggest fraud scam out there , you will damage your truck really bad to make this work .throttle , gas pedal cables are no where close fitting ..huge mess stay aaway
Old 03-21-2014, 06:22 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

LOL, that just proves you can't fix incompetence. The pictures from AFI CLEARLY show the flat TBI adapter plate with 2-holes which OBVIOUSLY won't fit over a 4-hole manifold. The site also makes it VERY clear the TBI and ECM are both used.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:06 AM
Strick360
2nd Gear

Default Not have I dealt with AFI

I have an 88 Jeep YJ and was looking at the Howell and Affordable Fuel Injection (AFI) options. I learned everything is basically GM parts except the wiring harness and, if you want a closed loop fuel and ignition system (which I decided I did), AFI is the option as Howell doesn't offer it.

I read some really bad reviews about AFI and delayed ordering for that reason. Finally I took the plunge and ordered online. Shortly after I began having reservations about doing business with AFI. That along with an above average spring had us already using the Jeep so, I decided I would cancel the order about 1.5 weeks after and think about it again this winter when we put it away - we only drive it when the weather is nice and it hasn't seen a top since I bought it a couple years ago.
After the order I called to see when they expected to ship it and they told me it would absolutely be three weeks because of how busy they were so, I was expecting there to be no problem with the cancellation.

Either that day or the next the owner called me back. I can't remember his name. I have a few for him but I’m pretty sure none are ones his parents or friends have given him (if he has any - of either). He informed me the harness was complete and I could not cancel the order. I explained about being told it would be the three full weeks before anyone could get to it so, was surprised to hear a cancellation would not be possible. He said the only way I could cancel the order was to pay a $200 restocking fee. I expressed my reservations about doing business with them to begin with after reading other people's experiences and his answer was "we've been in business since 97."

You'd think a normal business would say something along the lines of "we would really like to earn your business. We sell a lot of these for that year YJ and probably won’t have any problem selling it to someone else being as busy as we are. Let me see if I can sell it in the next few months. If I can, then I won't charge you anything. If not, fall will be just around the corner and we can revisit your purchase at that time." I would have been extremely satisfied with such a reasonable response. But, that's not how they do it at AFI. He mentioned they've "been in business since 97."

To their credit, I screwed up my order. When I chose my engine it defaulted to a Holley carb on it (instead of the 2 barrel turd) and I would need the 4 barrel adaptor plate. That is an additional $70. Instead of telling me that and asking "would you like us to charge the same credit card or would you prefer another form of payment?" they just used the info from my previous purchase to charge my card again.

A week later it arrived and I went through it and the instructions (which I had already been through several times). I read a number of different experiences about the installation online so, thought I'd check with a local shop to see what they'd charge me to do the install. They had a mechanic who had done the same thing to his Jeep (just bought the GM parts instead of a kit) and said they could do it for $500. I figured I could have it installed by a professional mechanic, with a warranty on their work, for around the same price as the Howell system alone that had no closed loop distribution, so decided to have them do it. I'm very glad I did.

It ended up taking him about 9 hours for the complete installation. I've read where people have done the install in 3 hours but read that they also had to 'do this and that' to complete it. Well, the devil's in the details my friends. The shop that did the install wasn't real impressed with the kit because it really wasn't what they'd call a "kit." It was missing all hardware, fuel lines, clamps, you name it. Just a basic collection of GM parts and programmed computer. Here's a collection of additional items you'll need:
• Properly rated ignition coil
• Air filter and assembly
• 1.5" fire wall grommet
• Self taping screw and miscellaneous hardware
• ¼" barbed fuel line connector
• 5/16" barbed fuel line connector
• 4' of ¼" fuel line
• 4' of 5/16" fuel line
• Miscellaneous sealers and gasket prep materials

All totaled, it will probably run you around $150 - $200 extra. It's my understanding most of this stuff comes with the Howell kits.

I live 25 minutes from the nearest anything. So with runs back and forth to the parts and hardware stores, I figure the install would have taken me about 2 weeks.

Anyway, they got the install done. One of the problems they ran into was a vacuum leak around some of the mounting screws on the throttle body adaptor plate and used some ATV sealant. This seemed like an odd thing to me and thought it had to be out of the ordinary. So I called AFI and their fix was to use some silicon over those mounting bolts. I explained "Put some goop on it" isn’t really an acceptable solution to an engineering/design shortcoming. The owner said they've "been in business since 97."

The other problem was the throttle sticks like crazy. The mechanic at the shop told me there's a lot of play in the throttle body shaft and suspected the bearings/races had been worn out and were not part of the rebuild process they use for that part (and that’s when I realized it is a rebuilt throttle body - I should have caught that little detail). I won't go into the driving characteristics of a vehicle with a sticky accelerator/throttle other than to say they are very unpleasant and a neck brace is advisable.

So, I called the wonderful owner again who immediately informed me that wasn't the problem with the throttle body. I explained I really didn't give two sh*ts why it was sticking, I just needed one that didn't. He reluctantly agreed to send me the lower unit of the throttle body only. When I asked why just that portion instead of the complete throttle body, he said I could just remove the upper unit from the one I already have and put it into the replacement one. I told him I would prefer to simply get a new, total throttle body replacement. He refused and informed me they've "been in business since 97."

A week later I got an email that the lower portion of the throttle body had shipped (not sure why it took a week). A week after that it arrived and I immediately noticed it didn't include a new gasket. I called the next day (Tuesday) and got their answering machine during their normal business hour (I should have said earlier that this is a regular thing) and left message that I would need a gasket too. That Friday I thought I'd call to verify the gasket would be sent. The lady who answered the phone explained the owner was in the lunch room having lunch and would have to call me back. I said I would in no way like to inconvenience an owner of a company that has been in business since 97 and left my number for him to call back. When he did, I asked him when I could expect to have the gasket and he played ignorant. I explained I had left message earlier that week and he avoided that little tid bit by asking, "what’s wrong with the gasket you have" to which I responded "it’s not new." I don’t know about the rest of you but, I learned one rule early on in my wrenching days that you NEVER reuse a gasket. He then told me that if I needed one I could go down to the parts store and get one.
That’s when I lost it and told him I’m sorry I ever did business with them and their crappy company. He informed me they’ve "been in business since 97."

Bottom line, I hate this company and their owner. He's the biggest piece of human waste I've ever had the displeasure of doing business with. Problem is, if you want a closed loop fuel and ignition system, you don't have much of a choice outside of AFI. I suspect they know that and, after all, they've "been in business since 97."
Old 06-13-2015, 05:45 PM
Strick360
2nd Gear

Default Finished at last

Got the throttle body replaced today. One of the things I left out (yeah, I actually left some stuff out) about my conversation with the owner at AFI was, after telling me to just reuse the gasket on it he said "it's just $.87 at the parts store." Of course the gasket had to be replaced as it ripped to pieces. That little trip to town took a little over an hour and the gasket cost just under $7 which tells me AFI gets great prices on their parts and/or they're completely out of touch with what their customers go through.

The other thing I noticed swapping out all the things from the original throttle body is that everything was just hand tight at best.

Lastly, the butterfly valve is rubbing against the side. That's why it was sticking. Don't know if that's due to a crappy rebuild job or sloppy shaft that the return spring pushes out of wack - or both.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:19 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You should be able to feel the play in the shaft if it's worn. Otherwise, try opening the throttle blades a bit via the adjustment screw so the blades don't close enough to stick.

About $40 on ebay can get you a kit to put a bushing in for the shaft if it's worn.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Not car related, but I got screwed by a company regarding a rebate...Went back and forth for a few months. Sent everything to the State Attorney General and had it within a few weeks.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:53 AM
Nk6887
1st Gear

Default Afi scam

Daniel 444, I have had this exact same misfortune I own a mechanic shop in Colorado and have been trying to get one of these less than favorable systems to work properly and to prove the fault of the system and resolve it with the owner of afi for over a year, in Colorado our air is a little thinner, this kit was supposed to go on a 100 percent factory 79 trans am w the 400ci. Avg vehicles with a 200-275 hp v8 engines at my altitude (5150') will get 16-18'' of vaccuum at idle. This trans am was making 16'' and apparently the owner must've been a relative of Harry Potter because he could tell me over the phone that the cam was bigger than stock specs after I put the degree wheel on to verify the cam specs Harry potters relative came back out and I was still wrong, and how dare I question this man that's been in business since 97' and knows what cam is in this 400? So after this went on for months I agreed to data log and send the info off so he could burn me a new chip, got the chip low and behold the car ran the same, wayyy too rich I could not run the car for more than 2 mins and I would have to replace the plugs, another three months went by and he agreed to take the kit back and send me a new self tuning unit under the grounds that if it did not work that I would be able to send it back which was agreed upon by both parties. I get told will be a week out I wait two weeks still nothing then I get told two weeks I wait three and still nothing then I get told snother two then three then 4 months, so at this point I state that I want my money back and that if I don't I will take legal action and he huffs and puffs gets mad says he will not! That now I will be receiving the faulty kit instead of what is right. So was wondering if you were able to get anything settled?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dude, this is a 14 year old thread and your replying to a 2 year old post.

Nice first post though.

Quick Reply: Affordable fuel injection... anyone have experience with them?