C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 LT-1 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 07:38 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Default 1970 LT-1 Questions

I recently looked at a '70 LT-1 (or so the owner claimed) for sale, and have a few questions about authenticity and value. The car had a good running small block, but NOT the original motor. It's a T-top coupe.

What is the correct tach redline for an LT-1? This car had a 6000 rpm redline, with yellow a little earlier (I think 5700). The console plate had the correct information... 370 HP, 380 FT LBS torque, 11:1 compression... but I know the console plate can easily be changed. It also had a high rise aluminum intake that the owner said was original (I didn't check the number) and the decal on the air cleaner was correct. It had the correct hood, but the underside was a bare cream colored fiberglass. That looked strange to me... I thought it should be black on the bottom of the hood.

Did all '70 LT-1's have transistor ignition? Is the box located on the driver's side of the radiator support like the earlier big blocks? I didn't think to check on this car.

Finally, what would be rough estimate of the value of the car? In addition to the above information, consider: The owner has no documentation, although he didn't know what a tank sticker is or where it's located, so it may be there. The color is Donnybrook green with a beige interior. Those are the original colors. Paint was a decent quality repaint that looks good from 20 feet but is cracking in numerous places so it needs paint. Interior is presentable but could use seat covers, etc. Could use the usual TLC, and the driver's side window is broken. The car seemed to run and drive ok, but doesn't have the original LT-1 motor. Original mileage is about 77,000. There are no other options ('70 LT-1 Coupe with 4 speed, NO PS, PB, PW, or tilt-telescopic).

Thanks very much for any information about how to determine whether this really is an LT-1, and what it might be worth.

Old 01-05-2003, 08:01 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: 1970 LT-1 Questions (BlackbirdZ07)

One suggestion - you might post this (or a link to this thread) in the "factory correct" forum. There are some very knowledgeable folks that may see it here and give you a full response, but there are one or two real experts on LT-1 cars that are more likely to see it over there.

As for me, a certified non-expert, I THINK.... as in... maybe, but you better confirm this with somebody who knows something about something, the 1970 LT-1 came with a Holley carb (that part I know) and no fuel return line. All the other 70 vettes (smallblock and bigblock) had Qjets with fuel return lines. So, the absence of a fuel return line would support the original LT-1 claim (certainly not prove anything) while the presence of a fuel return line would make many of us doubt it was a real LT-1.

As for value... with the non original motor and no documentation I would not value it any more than a base engine coupe in similar condition.... maybe even less than a "matching numbers" ie, original engine base engine coupe... but that's just me - I love LT-1s, but I have grown a bit skeptical about real cars. Blame the forum!! :lol: MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 8:01 PM 1/5/2003]
Old 01-05-2003, 08:54 PM
Mag Red Man
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 1970 LT-1 Questions (MNJack)

The 6000 rpm redline is for the 350/350 horse motor. The LT1 has a 6500 rpm redline.

And yes, the underside of the hood should be black. Whats on there now is a replacement, probably from collision repair.

So it's basically a non-original motor 350 horse car, and I would think low teens would be a reasonable price.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 1970 LT-1 Questions (Mag Red Man)

:iagree:

Chuck
Old 01-06-2003, 12:52 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like this owner doesn't have a clue and obviously isn't a vette guy or he'd research the car he's trying to pawn off a little better. Another thing to check on LT-1's are the rear u-joints, if it's an LT-1 they will be like the big block style and have caps, if it's anything else they will be regular band style, as already been said the tach is wrong for an LT-1 car. Sounds like a bogus LT-1 to me, with an unknown history and requires some work. I'd move on unless it was cheap, then I'd check into it further.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-06-2003, 01:07 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Re: 1970 LT-1 Questions (73 LS-4)

Thanks very much for all the input. Everyone pretty much confirms what I was thinking. I think that more than just about any other Corvette, people buy the LT-1 for the engine. So without the engine, it's just a non-numbers matching '70 coupe. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it's worth a whole lot more.

The owner is definitely not a Vette guy, he just knows LT-1s are collectible and therefore thinks the car is worth lots of money. He started at $14,000 firm, but is now down to $13,000 negotiable. Considering it needs paint and some interior work, I think he's still a little high if he can't prove the car is an LT-1. I think I'll pass for now, but if I decide to reconsider I'll definitely check out the fuel return line and the rear end U joint caps.

Thanks again everyone for the information!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not an LT-1 as mentioned. The tach is the giveaway. Unless the tank sticker or protecto plate is available, I treat it as the 350/350.

For what is worth, I differ on the value of the car being tied to the engine. Bought mine without the original engine for a pretty penny. There aren't many left and being fully documented and enough proper numbers matching parts around, short of the block stamp, the car can be complete. The value of the car is in the documentation. I have been offer more that I have invested to this point for the car.

A well documented rare find could be a great deal.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 LT-1 Questions

Quick Reply: 1970 LT-1 Questions