C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Listen to these files - Does this sound like a loose valve lash setting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 12:57 AM
Langadorf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Listen to these files - Does this sound like a loose valve lash setting?

Since I put my heads back on my engine got it running I've reset the valve lash twice - both times because I thought I heard a rocker arm work loose and make a clacking noise. Each time it seems to go away after I reset them. I'm running a Comp Cams CC306 with Crane valve springs and 1.6 RR. This time I'm not sure if it's the same sound as before when it was the loose lash. Listen to these files and tell me if it sounds like a loose valve lash. If it sounds different, what do you think it is?

Both files are AVIs The first file is just over a meg and includes the exhaust sound and the sound from the valve covers - I apologize if my uplink is a little slow (128k). The second is just the sound from the valve covers. Here they are:

http://langhoff.dhs.org/exhaustvalvecovers.avi
http://langhoff.dhs.org/valvecovers.avi

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2002, 03:50 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Listen to these files - Does this sound like a loose valve lash setting? (Langadorf)

The sound quality is fine but it's still pretty hard to tell what I'm hearing. Is there a slight flutter on one side through the exhaust? Have you felt the exhaust pulses behind the pipes to see if they are consistent from one side to the other? Also, have you tried the old trick of listening to the valvetrain by putting a stethoscope or even a tool(w/ your ear at the other end) on the valvecovers at various spots to see if you can find the noise?
Old 12-21-2002, 06:10 AM
Langadorf
Pro

Default Re: Listen to these files - Does this sound like a loose valve lash setting? (Les)

It seems there is a slight flutter at the driver side exhaust and that seems to be where I here the unusual noise on the driver side valve cover.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:25 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default Re: Listen to these files - Does this sound like a loose valve lash setting? (Langadorf)

OK, sounds like you have a good starting point. Try to isolate it in the manner I described. I've even used a ratchet, w/ the handle end sealed against my ear. You'd be surprised how much sound is conducted through the metal. This should get the offending part(s) identified. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:04 PM
Langadorf
Pro

Default Re: Listen to these files - Does this sound like a loose valve lash setting? (Les)

I'll give that a try - thanks.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:30 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I ran my 406 with 1.60 rockers on the first cam(Comp XE-274) and had noise too. I never ran this big of a cam/rocker setup and thaught it must be normal.Well I was wrong. In 2000 miles the cam had flattened a lobe.Had to tear the engine out and redo it. I suggest you check your oil for grit.(Easy if you're running a magnetic drain plug.) I hope for your sake I'm wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Listen to these files - Does this sound like a loose valve lash setting?

Quick Reply: Listen to these files - Does this sound like a loose valve lash setting?