C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 04:11 PM
lampedusa
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start?

Basically all the wiring harnesses are hooked up and are working, but I have to put a bettery in the car yet (:)), where do I start in the interior? The steering wheel is in place, and I have pretty much everything except the carpets, but I assume those go in last. Not only where do I start. but how? It seems like the dash pads and console are just held up on each other? Do I just start makeshifting it into place or what? This is so confusing. :cheers:
Old 12-22-2002, 04:33 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start? (lampedusa)

I'm in this process on my 73. I put in the drivers side dash and the top dash pad first. Then I did the carpet in the rear. I'm now working on the front carpet. Next will be the consoles and center guage cluster. The right side dash panel can go in anytime and the seats of course will be last. Good Luck, Craig :)
Old 12-22-2002, 04:54 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I removed the dash pads, console, gauge cluster, seats, door panels, storage compartments, carpets, interior trim panels behind the seats, etc. While all that stuff is out of the car, I had it restored or redyed. You can reinstall the dash first, then lay sound/heat barrier beneath the carpet. Be careful not to put any around the accelerator pedal. Install the carpet and refurbished trim and storage compartments. Other forum members may have this procedure on the websites. The seats are the last and crowning moment to a good interior job. This is very brief and I am not including a lot of steps, but I hope it helps.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:37 PM
tshort
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start? (virtue4u)

"Not only where do I start. but how?"

First open the door. Do this by pressing down on the silver handle/flap thingy. :lol: :lol: After that, the rest is downhill....NOT!

In all seriousness, good luck with the interior. It feels so much cleaner with a new shiny interior.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:52 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. A :cheers: GREAT! :cheers: place to start would be on my '76!~ :seeya
Old 12-22-2002, 08:59 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start? (SanDiegoPaul)

Hmmm. A :cheers: GREAT! :cheers: place to start would be on my '76!~ :seeya
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-04-2003, 01:42 AM
lampedusa
Pro

Default Re: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start? (GrandSportC3)

Pictures anyone?
Old 01-04-2003, 02:07 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

start by tearing everything out. :thumbs: makes for a noisy ride, but feels very roomy. :lol: im currently sound deadening mine, and groovyjay is re-doing his int. too. check out his site, and here are some pics of the sound deadener:

I dont have any "Progress" pics of it, and i dont even remember how i took most of it out. i pretty much tore the carpet out (it sucked and i deemed it un-sellable) loosened all the screws, pulled everything out after screw removal and trashed everything i was going to get new. which is almost everything. you may want to remove the plastic pieces that go on the A/B pillars, roof, and arround the rear storage area. makes for a nice starting point.

and trash the scerws. TLD sells a complete interior screw set for about $20 which has evey single screw, and they are all brand new. im pretty sure Zip also has a screw set, but i think it was a couple bucks more. :cheers: good luck! :thumbs:

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 12:08 AM 1/4/2003]
Old 01-04-2003, 07:49 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start? (virtue4u)

[QUOTE] Be careful not to put any around the accelerator pedal.

This is good advice. I just installed my carpet last week and I had to remove the insulation around the pedal that I had just installed so I could get enough travel.
Craig
Old 01-04-2003, 08:20 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Re: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start? (CF6873)

I started with the rear carpet, then the front carpet, then the center console, then the parking brake cover, then the gauge cluster, then the passenger side dash, then the driver's side dash, and then the top dash pad. I did it in that order because the dash pads are held up by each other and the gauge cluster, so I built everthing up to that.

[Modified by 7t2vette, 8:58 AM 1/4/2003]
Old 01-04-2003, 09:05 AM
lampedusa
Pro

Default Re: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start? (7t2vette)

Do you guys know of anywhere that sells the A/B pillar moldings?

I'm going to buy some acetone to try and clean up the wires good. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 01-04-2003, 09:49 PM
jdcrvt
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start? ('79ProwlerOrange)

Hi Prowler. I am wondering who is TLD? Also what type of sound deadener are you using? It seems like a great idea. I also checked out vettefxr's website. he lined his floor pans with some type of sound deadener and reflective insulation which he obtained from Summit. Appreciate the feedback. JD :thumbs:
Old 01-04-2003, 11:39 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start? (jdcrvt)

I started by removing the seats, then going to the higher up interior peices by seatbelt retractors and rear window trim and then worked up the t-top trim to the front window pillar trim. then removed the kick panels trim, door panels and then carpet. next came dash. Install was the reverse of this.

Here is my real tip.

Once you remove a single piece, take all the screws for that peice and wrap them up in masking tape and label what piece they went to with a sharpie type pen.

When your done removing everything, you will have 20 + ***** of tape/screws which are all labelled to what peice they went to. Once you refinish each peice and start reassembling, you wont beleive how easy it is to do it since you have the correct screws that went to each peice. It makes the job 1000x easier.

This is how I did it and everything went back together just like it was fresh out of the factory.

Brent....

Get notified of new replies

To Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start?

Quick Reply: Beginning the interior restoration...where do I start?