C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker side pipes come with gaskets, bolts, and bushing??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 11:00 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hooker side pipes come with gaskets, bolts, and bushing??

I am about to go do my side pipes right now, but I ran out and bought a good set of gaskets and locking bolts to be safe, but I just took everything out of the boxes and there were no crappy gaskets, simple bolts, instructions, bushings to mount to the frame or anything. Is this normal?? The only reason I ask about the bushings is b/c someone else posted something about using them while installing. There arent even any bolts to mount the pipe to the frame. Not a single bolt. not even one for clamping the pipe onto the header??
I dont want to wait another week for something to be sent...so please tell me I dont need any bushings and I can use some normal bolts to clamp it on and mount the pipes?
Chris
Old 01-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hooker side pipes come with gaskets, bolts, and bushing?? (74VETTE)

Mine's just bolted to the engine. I'm using a fel-pro 1411 gasket on the engine. It's a blue gasket with metal sandwiched in between the gasket surfaces. Probably the nicest header gasket I've used so far. It has little hooks on the end, so you can just the the header "hung" on the side of the engine with a bolt on each end, slide in the gasket, then start inserting the other bolts.

If you can find the small block version of that gasket in that material you'll be set.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:11 PM
2nspire
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hooker side pipes come with gaskets, bolts, and bushing?? (Steve Straus)

I got the gaskets and bolts with my headers but they were all cheapies anyway. Your probably better off to get the good stuff for the headers. The side pipes should have come with the hardware though. They have the bolts that fit thru the slots in the frame that the sidepipe bracket slips on to. Also the rubber grommets and nuts and washers. An2 bolts, nuts, and washers that squeeze the sidepipe onto the header at the connection. Sorry, cars not here and I don't have any pics.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:12 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It seems you get what ever they feel like throwin' in the box.
FWIW..
I only used the rear sidetube mount and cut off the front one, I think it's plenty of support and really simplifies installation. As for the bushings and bolts I am using 5/16 ss bolts and common rubber washers :cheers:
Old 01-04-2003, 01:15 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: Hooker side pipes come with gaskets, bolts, and bushing?? (yellow 72)

I didn't anything besides the headers and side tubes.

:cheers:
Old 01-04-2003, 09:04 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hooker side pipes come with gaskets, bolts, and bushing?? (Corey 68)

ok....im confused guys...
got the headers installed along with a new 100 amp alt and mini-starter.
I used some good bolts and gaskets that I bought even before I knew they were missing since i figured they were cheap crap in there.
Obviously couldnt do the pipes tho cause im not sure how to mount them?

If someone could explain to me how the supplied hardware works to mount the side pipes, maybe I can make something up similiar. one thing I dont understand, is if they are just plain bolts that slip into the holes in the frame, how to you hold the head of the bolt, since there is no way to get to the bolts? Maybe somone explaing the supplied hardware will make me understand.
Thanks
CHris

Old 01-04-2003, 09:57 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

You should have some T-studs. Take off your rocker moldings and look for slots in the side of the frame. Take the T-studs and the bushings and stick them in the side of the fram like this.

You may need to grind or cut the little metal flanges that stick down near the slots.

You'll need to cut your rocker moldings near the front to get them to fit around the pipe.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:23 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Hooker side pipes come with gaskets, bolts, and bushing?? (Steve Straus)

Thanks Steve Straus.....I already have the rocker panels off and there are 2 elongated holes in the frame....but there are definitely no t-studs. I guess these are kind of like toilet bowl bolts. But how do they keep from spinning inside the frame? Regardless, I guess I am going to have to wait till I get the correct t-studs and bushings. unless someone can explain to me how to make something similiar to this with hardware from Home Depot or a hardware store?

how much is it a PITA to put the rocker molding back on after the pipes are installed?

Thanks for everyones help!!
Chris
Old 01-04-2003, 10:59 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Thanks Steve Straus.....I already have the rocker panels off and there are 2 elongated holes in the frame....but there are definitely no t-studs. I guess these are kind of like toilet bowl bolts. But how do they keep from spinning inside the frame? Regardless, I guess I am going to have to wait till I get the correct t-studs and bushings. unless someone can explain to me how to make something similiar to this with hardware from Home Depot or a hardware store?
You probably could make one, but it would probably be easier to just call hooker and get some. What holds it in place while you put it on is the bushing. When you get it tightened the torque holds it in place.

how much is it a PITA to put the rocker molding back on after the pipes are installed?
I just did mine tonight. I had to cut some reliefs into the front of the molding so it would clear where the pipe comes out from the frame. My primary tubes on the headers are 2 1/8", so you probalby wont have to cut yours as much as I had to cut mine. I fount it was easier to slide in if I took the rear wheel off.

--
Steve
Old 01-04-2003, 11:09 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Thanks again steve....id like to just call hooker and get them, but the car is in a township wharehouse right now and come monday morning itll be in the way. Gotta get it outta there. So its either drive it w/o the pipes on there, or make something of my own.
One thing i came up with after looking at ur pics again is.... take a bolt and washer....get them inside the frame...my father owns a heating and AC company and compressor bushings mounts are similiar to the bushing in your pics and thought i might be able to use them if i could find some in out garage. guess ill have to figure something out...gotta get it out of the warehouse tomorrow.

I was thinking of taking the rear wheels off as well. my one header seems to not be parellel with the car and aim inwards a bit, so taking it off would be best,,,and like you said will help with the rocker panel as well :cool:

I really appreciate your help Steve and everyone else. Ill be sure to let ya know how it turns out.

Chris
Old 01-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

If you're in a hurry, I'd do the rocker panels later, they take a little bit to do, it was a lot of trial and error. If you have access to a welder, just get some 3/8 16 rod and weld 1.5" worth to some 1/8 flat bar stock. The bar stock should be cut so that it fits in the slot. For temporary means you could use the same said bar stock, drill a hole in the center of it and run a 3/8 16 bolt into it.

My headers weren't perfectly straight either. As soon as I got the pipes mounted and ran it for a while the heat from the engine took care of that.

--
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker side pipes come with gaskets, bolts, and bushing??

Quick Reply: Hooker side pipes come with gaskets, bolts, and bushing??