C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious electrical component on an 82

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 07:51 PM
1-MORTOY
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mysterious electrical component on an 82

I have been helping a friend cleanup the headlight linkages etc on his 82 and we found something connected into the wiring harness that looks out of place. There is a small red component about the dia of a pencil and aprox 1" long with a lead out each end neatly crimped into the harness underneath the LHS headlight pod. One end is crimped to a black wire and the other to a green wire and runs to a connector that then "appears" to go to the front LHS cornering/ turn indicator mounted on the side of the car. This thing doesn't look like any resistor or capacitor I've ever seen and the wire leads from it are bare, no insulation at all :eek: . Would anybody have a diagram that could tell us what this circuit is and if this thing is needed or even what it is. TIA. :cheers:
Old 01-05-2003, 02:10 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Mysterious electrical component on an 82 (1-MORTOY)

A picture is worth a thousand words...
I don't see anything in the big book of answer's that might be where your describing...
Old 01-05-2003, 02:13 AM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Mysterious electrical component on an 82 (Desertdawg)

A picture is worth a thousand words...
I don't see anything in the big book of answer's that might be where your describing...
I agree. I don't see anything on mine like that. Bubba? :rolleyes:
Old 01-05-2003, 06:28 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Mysterious electrical component on an 82 (82dukman)

That is not an original part, there's certainly nothing like that in the 82 wiring harness (and I have repaired all my harnesses since I bought the car, I have them all in a box)

Marck
Old 01-05-2003, 11:08 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Mysterious electrical component on an 82 (1-MORTOY)

It sounds like nothing but a barrell connector, joinin the two wires together, nothig more....used all the time in auto/industrial electrical work....
I personally don't like them, as failure is fairly high....I solder all MY electrical work,,, tape and then RTV if it's in water area.....

GENE
Old 01-05-2003, 11:29 AM
1-MORTOY
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mysterious electrical component on an 82 (mrvette)

Well, its not a connector because it has writing on it, unfortunatly its unreadable & the leads come out just like a resistor, plus we checked the RHS but there is nothing over there. I'll try to get a digi-pic of it and post later on. We thought it might have something to do with making the front and side turn indicators flash out of sync instead of both on/off at the same time?? Maybe someone could fax me a copy of the wiring diagram that shows this section of the harness.
Frigging PO's, why do people do this sort of thing. The connector and harness is actually rubbing on the lower door arm :mad

[Modified by 1-MORTOY, 10:54 AM 1/5/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Mysterious electrical component on an 82

Quick Reply: Mysterious electrical component on an 82