C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uhhhh...what happens when you put too much tranny fluid in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 05:14 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Uhhhh...what happens when you put too much tranny fluid in?

Well, yesterday my 200-4R went out on me. That's what I get for buying one at a junkyard for a little under $500 :lol:
So, today I took 4 hours out of my day to install a Th-400 out of a 74 Corvette. Now that it's in and working, I accidently put a quart too much in it. Don't ask how. I didn't know it until after I took a spin and got back home. Popped the hood, and transmission fluid was all over the place. On the hood, the engine, and it leaked down on the exhaust. So will it hurt anything, or will it just keep forcing it's way out of the end of the dipstick?
Old 01-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Uhhhh...what happens when you put too much tranny fluid in? (corvettemaster)

Get yourself some clear plastic tubing and run it down the tube, and start sucking, :D or you can make a simple vacuum trap to get the extra out. Take a jar, drill two holes in the cap, one on each side of the cap. Take clear tubing and RTV it into one hole, RTV a piece of vacuum hose in the other, screw on the cap to the jar. Run the clear tubing down thru the dip stick tube, and hook the vacuum line on to manifold vacuum. Start the car, it won't take long to suck that quart out of the TH400, soon as you get the extra out, clamp off the vacuum line.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:32 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Uhhhh...what happens when you put too much tranny fluid in? (corvettemaster)

Should just smoke alot until turning into a gooey grime. do the vaccum thing and then pressure wash the engine compartment.

BTW $500 is a hell of alot for a junkyard. its $75 for the one i go to.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:21 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Uhhhh...what happens when you put too much tranny fluid in? ('79ProwlerOrange)

BTW $500 is a hell of alot for a junkyard. its $75 for the one i go to.
Yeah I know. All the junkyards here don't want to get rid of anything. :lol: It's crazy. At the same junkyard I got the 200-4R at, they had a 327 they wanted $1000 for! :crazy: They also had a 427, they tried to sell me too. I can't remember how much they wanted for it, but I remember thinking I could by a new crate engine for the same price.
BTW, I went and checked the transmission fluid again, and it's not over the full mark. It either ran out while I took that first spin, or something. Could a valve been stuck since the tranny had been sitting for a while??
Old 01-12-2003, 07:15 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did it act like it shifted ok when you drove it? the fluid is actually what make the tranny shift, so if it felt like it was shifting hard, or even too soft it could be a problem with the tranny. but if it felt normal, id say it was just because it was too full.

Get notified of new replies

To Uhhhh...what happens when you put too much tranny fluid in?

Quick Reply: Uhhhh...what happens when you put too much tranny fluid in?