C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Fancy paint jobs.

Old 01-24-2003, 02:12 AM
DaBo
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Fancy paint jobs. (vettinator)

You can use the Dupont ChromaLusion to make flames. They will look like they are moving as you are driving. Dupont offers 36 different types of the ChromaLusion.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:03 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Fancy paint jobs. (QuickVet)

Thanks for posting those pics :cool: I like that mustang. Mine is just like it except it is white :crazy: Dont get me thinking about doing stuff to the slow stang :smash:

[Modified by QuickVet, 7:18 PM 1/23/2003]
No problem. Ben's (yea we have the same name) 'Stang is pretty :cool:. he only had exaust, underdrive pullies and a couple other bolt ons, but he was getting ready to supercharge it last time i talked to him, which was a few months ago.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:53 PM
NHvette
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Fancy paint jobs. ('79ProwlerOrange)

My ghost flames will be done with a two-tone color changing pearl (red/gold).
This paint is mucho expensivo - $400 a pint. A pint should do all the ghost flames
that I intend.

I think you may be thinking Kameileon (sp?) color paint. thats about $400 a pint, but its defineatly not ghost. looking at Rogers vette closer, i think his may hve been done with Kandy color, because i dont see a pearl effect. when someone says ghost flames, or ghost stripes it %99 of the time was done with pearl.

Here is a good pic of my vette that shows the pearl effect:

now my color was 1/4 pearl so most pearl jobs wont "Flash" that much. (flash is what they call the pearl effect) see how the top of the hood is dark orange, the side of the hood is bright orange, and the side of the car is almost yellow? look right under the window and you can see it has quite a few diffrent colors in it. my vette looks copper at night under lights, so pearl can drastically change a cars color. im almost positive that Vetteflame79's are kandy flames after comparing the two.

You can achive a multi-color change with pearl (red/Gold) but pearl is a paint additive. it is a fine powder that you add to the paint. it used to be scraped off oyster shells hence the name pearl. i think its synthetically made now though. if you go to a local paint dealer, ask for an ounce of pearl (red/blue/white/ even black) and dip your finger in the powder. hold your finger up to the light and move it arround, you can see exactly what the Flash looks like. you could sprinkle it on your car if you wanted and see how it would change it, but it dosent react the same. it needs to be in the paint or clear coat to be perfect. :cheers:
The HOK color changing paints are sold as pearl additives (powder).
Other manufacturers sell as a paint (mixed in a clear base), such as
Sherwin Williams. This is where I quote the $400/pint.

The color changing 'pearls' are manufactured from multi-layer metalic oxides.

You ghost the flames (color changing or not) by mixing the paint down with a
clear base. The less clear base added - the less 'ghostly' effect you get.
It appears as vetteflame79 had his flames done to fully conceal the black -
hence no 'ghostliness'.

Anyway - I am a newbie as far as painting myself - but I have several close
friends that paint or work in a body shop with lots of experience to draw on.
Who know - maybe I'll even pay 'em to do it for me. (doubtful).

:seeya
Old 01-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Alwyn678
CF Senior Member

Liked 47 Times in 44 Posts
Default Re: Fancy paint jobs. (Intimidator454)

[QUOTE] :seeya I did the pace car paint scheme on a friends Vette with the top halve in Gold Pearl and the bottom in a Silver Pearl. :cool: He won best in class at the "World of Wheels" in Birm. Al.

Pics?????
Old 01-28-2003, 05:50 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Fancy paint jobs. (NHvette)

i think i may email Vetteflame79. i could swear they are candy. they just dont look like pearl to me. i havent see it in person, so i cant say for sure, but by the pics just look like a candy color to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fancy paint jobs.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: