C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic timing gears, why and for how long were they used?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:27 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 511 Likes on 311 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Plastic timing gears, why and for how long were they used?

I know some years of the 350 V8 had these plastic timing gear or gears, but what years used them and why? how long did they last on average? I've heard something about noise, but a gear can't make that much noise? can it? :rolleyes:
Old 01-20-2003, 02:35 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Plastic timing gears, why and for how long were they used? (killain)

GM used plastic gear teeth over aluminum/steel centers on all their cam gears across the lines that I know of...since the early 60's....it's said it was for quieter operation...but in fact I have NEVER heard the steel equivalent make noise one little tiney bit....
frankly I think it was done to sell something in 60k miles...equivalent to 6 years average driving....to force a trade in....planned obsolescence....not that there weren't plenty of other failures built in...but this one fails just like clockwork....the rest are all over the map.....

GENE
Old 01-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Plastic timing gears, why and for how long were they used? (mrvette)

Noise is one reason but there is another reason for the nylon teeth... If you drive long enough and neglect the oil changes the chain will get enough slack to actually jump a tooth or more. When this happens with nylon teeth, the teeth just rip off. With metel teeth this would destroy the engine as the pistons would collide with the valves. I have seen this happen and even at idle with metal toothed gears, results in bent pushrods, pulled studs, bent and broken valves. I do not like nylon toothed gears myself but they do offer a margin of safety.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:46 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Plastic timing gears, why and for how long were they used? (killain)

Nasty awful things. I had one in my '69 Cougar that went south. :nonod:

Get notified of new replies

To Plastic timing gears, why and for how long were they used?

Quick Reply: Plastic timing gears, why and for how long were they used?