C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to identify Big Block valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 01:25 PM
John Lynch
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to identify Big Block valve covers

Through the years I have accumulated chrome big block valve covers so that I could replace the M/T's on my early '71 with the correct valve covers. Now that I have four of them I find that they are all different. How do you identify which valve covers are correct for an early '71? The variations on the left one are: raised area on inside rear, raised area on inside rear with wire loom bracket, and smooth area on inside rear with no wire loom bracket. I would attach pictures, but don't know how. The pictures in the Vette Vues fact book are no help. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Old 01-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: How to identify Big Block valve covers (John Lynch)

Just a helpful hint. The Automotive Industry considers that you are seated in inside the car and left and right are dictated from that position. A lot of people consider right and left as if you are looking at the engine from the front of the car. This is not the common method. Otherwise, it is best to describe the covers as passenger side, driver side.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

If they're chrome they're wrong for a 71 anyway. Unless there was a very early in the year overlap that I'm unaware of, the 71 and newer big blocks had orange painted valve covers.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:56 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: How to identify Big Block valve covers (Solidlifters)

It is my understanding that early '71's came with chrome valvecovers, and then they switched to painted orange. My '71 was built December 8th 1970 and has orange, so the switch was before december.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

Default Re: How to identify Big Block valve covers (zwede)

I had a 71 LS5 that I sold to a friend several years ago. It seems like I remember it being Sept or Oct. build. I could double check if nobody else knows for sure, but this car was real unmolested and definately had orange valve covers.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:06 PM
John Lynch
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How to identify Big Block valve covers (Solidlifters)

Good information. My car was made in October of 1970 and I had someone tell me I needed chrome covers. All four of these covers have drippers, so are they all Corvette, just prior to 1971? How do I know what application they are for? There is probably someone that needs these covers for their Corvette. I had they rechromed and they are beautiful. Also is there a picture somewhere of what dents and bumps should be where to be correct for my car?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need the one with the little bump at the rear with the wire loom about 3" forward of the upper rear corner. This is the left side (driver's viewpoint)

[Modified by silvervetteman, 7:20 PM 1/29/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 07:53 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

The info you are seeking might be in the NCRS technical specifations and judging guide. You may also get a few additional experienced opinions from the "factory correct restoration" section of corvetteforum or the technical discussion board at http://www.NCRS.org

MJ
Old 01-29-2003, 08:18 PM
71DropTop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 71 build date of sept 70 vin 01598 has painted and I am looking for a correct set of chrome but according to ncrs all 71s with a vin of 4000 or less had chrome???? :confused:
Old 01-29-2003, 09:54 PM
Solidlifters
Pro

John, there were other Chevy big blocks with the drippers besides the Corvettes.

The 71 I sold my friend is still in storage with some of my other cars and I can shoot pics of the valve covers on it if you don't come up with a better idea. I'd say with almost certainty that this car has THE original valve covers. My 70 definately has replacements, so I wouldn't use it for a source if you decide that yours is within the group that got chrome. (I've never seen an original chrome valve covered 71 myself)

Get notified of new replies

To How to identify Big Block valve covers

Quick Reply: How to identify Big Block valve covers