C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part from Mid 70s Tilt Tele Column?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 10:17 PM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Part from Mid 70s Tilt Tele Column?

I have a mid 70s tilt tele column and found this little curved spring or contactor hanging loosely just inside where the tilt lever screws in. It's a small strip of curved copper. Maybe it acts as a spring or possibly an electric contact inside the column. But I haven't found enough detailed pix of a torn down column to figure out what it might be...

Can anyone confirm if this part goes inside a tilt tele column? And if so what it does? (which may mean I'll have to tear the thing down to re-install it...)

Thanks,

Old 11-10-2020, 12:34 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Looks like the electrical contact parts for the key buzzer piece . Especially as there made of copper.

Unless you really want that feature , then you have to go fairly deep into the column to replace it.
The following users liked this post:
TPIShark (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 03:09 AM
GunPowder
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
Looks like the electrical contact parts for the key buzzer piece . Especially as there made of copper.

Unless you really want that feature , then you have to go fairly deep into the column to replace it.
Could be a part of the key buzzer switch - but very deformed

Old 11-10-2020, 07:51 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by GunPowder
Could be a part of the key buzzer switch - but very deformed

There's nothing else in the column that looks anything close to the O.P picture.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:16 AM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at the picture of the buzzer switch I agree it is almost certainly a piece off of one but distorted. Thanks for the fast responses!

I can probably test this 'feature' on the column by installing a key cylinder and checking continuity on the 2 wires (pink and black I think). But if the key buzzer switch isn't working properly - I think that alone I could live without (vs diving into the guts of the column).

While on the subject of tilt tele columns: I picked this mid 1970s column up long ago, it 'may' have been rebuilt, It's very clean in appearance, smooth mechanical operations, tilt spring seems strong and overall it seems very tight - no obvious slop anywhere.

What else should I check out electrically or mechanically before proceeding with a swap into a 71 with a fixed column?

thx

Get notified of new replies

To Part from Mid 70s Tilt Tele Column?

Quick Reply: Part from Mid 70s Tilt Tele Column?