C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work

Old 02-04-2003, 08:21 AM
toy350
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work

I was looking in my Chevy High Performance Magazine and came across Speed-O-Motive, Inc. out of California. I was looking at their 500 HP sportsman stroker motor and was wanting to see if anybody is familar with their work? Would you recommend them? Did they stand behind their work?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:29 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (toy350)

Never purchased from them, but I have heard many complaints on this forum about them.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (toy350)

I had one of their engines eat a rod bearing almost on start up. I heard a very faint tapping noise when I fired it up but thought it might be variable lifters which are known to make a little clicking. Well the thing starting banging at about 200 miles. I bought a short block with oil pan installed and did not check clearences before install. My guess is that they did not clear the over casting on the block enough to allow clearence at high rpm's. When I pulled the engine there was a noticeable mark on the oil pan rail where that rod was tapping it. Mistakes happen and although I was upset I was willing to see what they had to say. The engines come with no warranty but thought they might atleast hear what I had to say. The builder I talk to gave me a 'tude from the start and wouldn't even entertain the idea that they might have done something wrong. If they had said send it back and will take a look see I would have been happy but it was 'You can send it back but we ain't fixing it without charging since we never make a mistake'. So if you are a gambler and don't mind getting no customer service from them then buy one. I would suggest looking elsewhere.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:36 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (Fevre)

I had one of their engines eat a rod bearing almost on start up
That just plain bites. I have never purchased from them but I can offer one piece of wisdom. If you buy a crate motor, short or long. It is cheap insurance to crack that crankcase open and check torque values at the very least - if not actually checking clearances. I've installed several purchased shorts for myself and freinds. One from GM and two from parts stores such as Kragen or Autozone.

Even the GM short had sub-spec torque values on one rod. The kragen block would have flown apart had i not checked - two mains and three rods had values in the 20's - the Autozone Block was fine with one main down about 4 psi.

Im a huge proponant of doing things myself - I mean if you cant Trust GM to torque the rod bolts who can you trust. And dont go telling me that "it's got a warrantee so it ok" - GM's warranties on thier crate motors isnt worth spit. If you read it closely it first says it warrantees only the parts that fail and not any other parts that might have been damaged by that failure - then you have to take into account that the motor has to be removed and replaced after being repaired. NO Sir - do it right the first time.

All that aside - even a perfectly built motor can grenade early in life - how many magazine motors built by professional builders have blown up on teh dyno over the years.

I guess the upshot is - if Speedomotive uses quality parts - has a reasonable price - and you double check their work - you would probably be okay.

I prefer to build my own :yesnod:
Old 02-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (fauxrs)

I had one of their engines eat a rod bearing almost on start up

That just plain bites. I have never purchased from them but I can offer one piece of wisdom. If you buy a crate motor, short or long. It is cheap insurance to crack that crankcase open and check torque values at the very least - if not actually checking clearances. I've installed several purchased shorts for myself and freinds. One from GM and two from parts stores such as Kragen or Autozone.

Even the GM short had sub-spec torque values on one rod. The kragen block would have flown apart had i not checked - two mains and three rods had values in the 20's - the Autozone Block was fine with one main down about 4 psi.

Im a huge proponant of doing things myself - I mean if you cant Trust GM to torque the rod bolts who can you trust. And dont go telling me that "it's got a warrantee so it ok" - GM's warranties on thier crate motors isnt worth spit. If you read it closely it first says it warrantees only the parts that fail and not any other parts that might have been damaged by that failure - then you have to take into account that the motor has to be removed and replaced after being repaired. NO Sir - do it right the first time.

All that aside - even a perfectly built motor can grenade early in life - how many magazine motors built by professional builders have blown up on teh dyno over the years.

I guess the upshot is - if Speedomotive uses quality parts - has a reasonable price - and you double check their work - you would probably be okay.

I prefer to build my own :yesnod:
Expensive lesson learned. :banghead:

I did buy a GM crate after that and have had no problems with it. I will be building my own from now on.

[Modified by Fevre, 9:50 AM 2/4/2003]
Old 02-04-2003, 01:47 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,054 Posts

I have built several of their 383 master kits that start @$1500. I trust my own work and the local machining done by my friends.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:27 PM
jimtreber
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

It's been years back but my 406 consisted of a Speed-O-Motive crankshaft kit which in turn consisted of forged SpeedPro 12 to 1 pistons, single molys, tricked rods, crossdrilled crank, inserts, balanced and blueprinted. I rechecked everything, fitted the rings to the walls and made many low 12 second runs on nitrous without a problem. Other than cam experiments, I never opened the engine again. Thus, my experience with them is good.

Old 02-05-2003, 03:35 AM
442olds
Pro

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (jimtreber)

I just helped install thier 400 HP street Master 383 stroker motor in a freinds 88 monte carlo. So far its run like a champ. We were very happy with the engines build and the free shipping is a nice touch. They do garantee the engine workmanship if it should spin a bearing on start up or something shoudl go terribly wrong. We asked. They have been in the business of makeing stroker engines for a long time and that has to say something about them.

I just bought a set of their H-Beam Con Rods for my big block project and was very happy with the quality.

So for the price you can't beat them.

Old 02-05-2003, 04:45 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (442olds)

I just helped install thier 400 HP street Master 383 stroker motor in a freinds 88 monte carlo. So far its run like a champ. We were very happy with the engines build and the free shipping is a nice touch. They do garantee the engine workmanship if it should spin a bearing on start up or something shoudl go terribly wrong. We asked. They have been in the business of makeing stroker engines for a long time and that has to say something about them.

I just bought a set of their H-Beam Con Rods for my big block project and was very happy with the quality.

So for the price you can't beat them.
The free shipping is new and very nice but hope your friend does not have to try to get warranty work:

Engines are shipped FREE to closest major air terminal. An additional charge will be made for door to door an lift gate deliveries. Each engine is insured and shipped in a container that may be returned for a full refund. All parts sold without warranty or any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for the intended purpose. Not legal for sale or use in California on pollution controlled vehicles. This contract deemed to be entered in West Covina, Los Angeles, California
Direct from their website.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:56 PM
442olds
Pro

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (Fevre)

What they said dealing with any repairs if need be was that they would pay for the parts and what not but we could have the work done locally rather than ship it back to them.

I wish we would have taken a picture of the crate the engine came in. The only shipping charges they have are a deposit on the crate (which you get back once you send the crate back) insurance, and the cost to send the crate back to them. I think the insurance was $50, and the shipping to send the crate back was also $50. The deposit was $250 for the crate. I guess you can't really call it a crate its really a large plastic tub that they can put large metal straps around so that no one can break into it and steal parts off the engine. They said they have had problems with shipping engines in the past and since they went to this plastic crate which no one can see what's inside they haven't lost and engine or its parts in shipping yet.

Here's a pic of the engine with a few of the accessories already bolted on it

Old 02-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (442olds)

I am guessing I just got a bad apple and that is life but I really did not care for how I was treated and the attitude the engine builder took with me. I have read other people say have good luck customer service is king in my book and they came up a :jester . :rolleyes:
Old 02-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Fevre
Race Director

toy350

Forgot to mention how sweet your vettes are! :yesnod:
Old 02-05-2003, 10:06 PM
toy350
Instructor

Fevre,

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:19 AM
mastiff
Instructor

Speed-O-motive sent me the wrong size main bearings as well as a bent connecting rod. If I hadn't gotten it checked out by a pro I would have destroyyed my engine very quickly. I would not recommend using them.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:31 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (mastiff)

Sure is a moral to this story - crate engines are suspect. Even the GM's onl difference is they have a strong waranty from the dealers. Most seem to still trust either their own work or a trusted machine shop. Get a warranty on all engine components and assembly from the shop if you do not do it yourself.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:48 PM
chicken's73sting
Instructor

I had a 383 stroker built for my last car ('69 z-28) by them and within a month (even after break-in) the engine was destroyed and i had just wasted almost 5,000 dollars, i raced it once and other than that i just drove it daily around town and NEVER on the highway, my advice is dont buy from them.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:57 AM
tersian
Pro

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (chicken's73sting)

Hey East Stroudsburg person(chicken's73sting), do you know of any good engine shops around here? I'm in Myerstown so I'm fairly local.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:37 AM
gkull
Team Owner

What LBS of springs are you running the front? I'm just asking because I've never been able to determine how close I can run my body to my tires. they will hit body before going up in the wheel well.

I have 17X9 wheels with 255/45/17 4.5 B.S.

I personaly have got some good deals from Speedomotive on master race kits which are about $1500 for the 3.75 stroker and then you add options. I was in a hurry for quick kit with options which would have brought it to the $2200 range. within 3-4 days all this stuff ended up on my door step. I had ask for the light weight internally balanced 4340 with nitrided crank, 6 inch H beam 685 gram bushed floating rods, JE SRP pistons. well what showed up was this 38 lbs super crank with everything oil repellant......... with tiny throws. I did it all on a credit card and i was worried that my order wasn't right. so i called them and they said what i ask for wasn't in stock and "No Problem!" We just gave you this super crank that they had on a shelf. I had just bought another 4340 393 ci kit and a 383 4340 kit a couple of months before. So when this crank arrived i knew it was something special.

Like any kit motor - from anywhere they are assembled with the cheapest labor. But just look at this jewel. The digital camera distorts the size on the near end. but you get the picture?

[Modified by gkull, 11:41 PM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-13-2003, 12:52 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work (gkull)

This is a 4340 forged crank 42 pound internally balanced 383 ci crank that i just stuck in to help me grind the block clearences with before i put in the larger main caps and full ARP stud kit.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody familar with Speed-O-Motive Engines & Quality of Work