C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 12:06 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air question

After spending close to $300 last summer to get the original AC working well in my 73, I found that the evaporator core is leaking. I didn't replace this back then, nor did I buy a much needed new wiring harness.

Now that I am pulling the engine for TPI, I was looking into the cost of the evaporator and wiring harness. For only a couple of hundred more, I can get an entire vintage air kit that will function much better and save me the problems with the blower etc...

So here are the questions:

How much difference in air flow is there between the stock unit and the different vintage air Gen II kits.

The mini is the smallest and least air flow, but no numbers on their web site.
The compaq is what vintage air recommends if you can fit it behind the dash and the Supercooler puts out the most and is only an inch or so taller.

THen there are the hot rod air units that they say are just as good, but vintage air does not consider them quite comperable (of course).

Basically, if for $900-1000 I can get the vintage air compaq complete with everything, it's only about $300 more than the new evaporator, wiring harness and condenser which is probably needed too. :rolleyes:

Anyone have comments on the airflow and size for fitting the three Gen II models of vintage air?

Once I do this, I'll have a brand new VIR and hoses for sale along with a working compressor and condenser. Since I am going TPI, I might as well do it all. It's only $$$ right ? :D :eek: :eek:
Old 02-12-2003, 12:26 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Another Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air question (phoenix)

I think it's a good idea. I posted a while back that http://www.oldairproducts.com can make your controls work with their unit and I don't think the other AC companies can do that so you'd have to use after market controls.

I can't speak to the quality of any of the units but I think they all put out more CFM than the factory Vette blower. Old air told me 6500cfm, and that seems like a lot of air.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:40 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Another Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air question (74-Roadster)

i never put one in a vette before,but i have installed one in a 34 ford street rod i built for a guy,nice setup and easy to install,blew nice and cold.But it also was a completely different setup in a 34 then a vette.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:41 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed a Vintage Air Compac II in mine last year. It works better than the OEM unit. The only thing is that it uses return air only, where there is no outside air introduced to the cooling. I don't have a problem with that, but some might. The controls I received fit in the same space as my original ones.

What I really like is that it uses no vacuum for the controls, eliminates the air box on the fire wall and the compressor and condensor coil are smaller and more effecient.

I have pictures (about 50) if you are interested, I can e-mail them to you. It's not very simple, but can be done in house, if you are capable.

Old 02-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Another Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air question (GWHITE75)

Good to see you drop in again! Did you ever get a chance to work on the write up of your A/C system. I still have your pictures and am still willing to put them on a webpage for you.

Old 02-12-2003, 04:01 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

GWHITE75,

Thanks, I'd love to see the pictures. Please email them to me. :)

myunes@massmed.org

Did you use the control kit that they supply, the 4 sliders?

I just talked to old air products and of course they say that their system is better than vintage air. It is basically the same except for one major difference... you can send old air products your stock control panel and they will adapt it to work with their new stuff. The controls can be either vacuum run like the original or with all electric components. It will look stock though.

Old air products says that their system puts out 325cfm.

When I asked vintage air the same question, they couldn't tell me. I wanted to know the difference in the air flow between the mini and the compac models. All the guy told me is that I wouldn't notice the difference. :confused:

That doesn't tell me what I want to know.

Does anyone know the cfm for vintage air stuff?
Old 02-12-2003, 04:35 PM
GWHITE75
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

Smokehouse What's been going on? I have not been on the forum much lately as I do this at work and work has picked up a little. As for the document, Man I completely forgot about it. No excuses. I have to admit that I have ignored the car lately. There it sits, just waiting for me to buy a turbo.

Did you ever put the dual Spal's on your car? I did, then sold them when they did not cool as good as the OEM system.

Are you going to the Vette Show in Houston this weekend?

phoenix Yes, I used their slider control panel. They come in two configurations and I used the one that replicated ours the most. You will need to fabricate some tabs to adapt them, but it's easy.

I did not get the CFM either, but I did speak at length with the only gentleman, at the time, who put these units in C-3's and trusted him when he told me they put out more air than the OEM system, which I did not find hard to believe, compared to mine. The gentleman's name is Roger Lewis (Lewis Makeovers 281-485-7366) in Pearland, TX. He might be able to quote those specs. to you now. Also, he told me they were developing a system for the C-3's and might have them available now. It does perform better than my old system.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Yeah Gary, I put in the Spals this fall, so far they have done fine. Of course that's with a ZZ4, not a 502! They did seem to run a lot more than I had hoped at first, then I realized that I had 190 thermostat in the car, so just about as soon as the thermostat opened the fans would kick on. I went down to a 180 and that improved things a great deal.
No, I'm not going to make it to the show this weekend. My son is coming home this weekend and we are going to do a brake job on his truck, (lots o' fun!) and he's going to help me fit the new L88 hood on my car.
You need to come spend some more time on the forum and stir things up a little! And see if you can't get that write up started. :D Inquiring minds are wanting to know about A/C!
Good to see you back!
Old 02-18-2003, 01:37 AM
tzavaleta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have posted Gary's vintage air discussion and pictures on my website...
http://zavaleta.net/thomas/projects/articles/index.html

Old 02-18-2003, 09:20 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Before you launch into this, check with Zwede. He knows the tricks to make the OE AC cool very adequately.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:55 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Another Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air question (flynhi)

Before you launch into this, check with Zwede. He knows the tricks to make the OE AC cool very adequately.
Thanks, I followed Zwede's advice last summer. It cooled well for a day before I realized that all the oil was leaking into the car via the evaporator core. :(

Now, since the dash is all out and the wiring harness needs to be replaced as well as the evap core, I figure... WTH... why not go for it. :)

Get notified of new replies

To Another Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air question

Quick Reply: Another Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air question