C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake with TPI in 76 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 12:23 AM
hogger67
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake with TPI in 76 Vette

I have a 1976 Corvette with a 1991 TPI 350. Right now the intake for the TPI draws air from just behind the radiator, which i guess most aftermarket tpi units do. I am curious if anyone out there has a C3 and TPI with any ideas of how to run a cold air kit along with it. Not a lot of room to fit the intake ducting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:10 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Cold air intake with TPI in 76 Vette (hogger67)

Well, since I wanted a BB hood, I cut a hole in the original style hood, having allready an add on on top.....so it's kinda like a cowl induction...open in back....see sig file pix.....that aluminum box was very time consuming to make and takes some TIG welding....made from aluminum....held in place with bottom bolt into top of water pump, and two top t-body bolts, oval hole cut in aluminum, and of course fitted/shaped to go around all other things, and a flange for rubber seals against hood....

I had thought of all sorts of differant arrangements including an early C4 air cleaner...and could NOT figger out any workable arrangement with anything close to stock hood hinges...just not enough clearance on my 72...period...

finally just gave up and decided doing what I did was the easiest workable solution to get cooler air to the engine...besides it has a certain 'cool' factor...

GENE
Old 03-29-2003, 07:24 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Cold air intake with TPI in 76 Vette (mrvette)

70ls1 and i cut our rad. support and ran it straight out the front down to the grill.We used a c5 air bridge to go over the rad. support and then down to a vortex air filter behind the grill.Hood closes with no problem but when you open it all the way up it hits the tube,i need to oval it a bit more and it will work with the factory hood support.I then welded it back up and have a rod connecting the support back together underneath the air bridge.Yhe next thing im gone to do is connect a y pipe at the front and have dual vortex air filters one behind each grille for air.Gene i never noticed how you had yours ,thats a good setup you made. :thumbs:

[Modified by patsnitrovette, 9:00 AM 3/29/2003]
Old 03-29-2003, 10:28 AM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Cold air intake with TPI in 76 Vette (patsnitrovette)

Here is another perspective to the setup that Pat and I are using.

Old 03-29-2003, 10:53 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Cold air intake with TPI in 76 Vette (hogger67)

Another member was using the C4 setup out of an 85 I think. Check the archives, it may have been budman. The intake he was using was much flatter and wider than the C5 intake.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold air intake with TPI in 76 Vette

Quick Reply: Cold air intake with TPI in 76 Vette