C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gripe - What I have learned about Corvette exhaust manufacturers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 03:44 PM
dudeskie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gripe - What I have learned about Corvette exhaust manufacturers. (BSeery)

Get it done local. That way it's done right and if it's not, you can have them fix it.
This is exactly what I had done. I have 2.25" Stainless steel piping, tight and secure against the chassis. I already had the mufflers so the exhaust job for me was pertty cheap. Straight back from the headers cost me $300.

[Modified by dudeskie, 8:45 PM 4/11/2003]
Old 04-12-2003, 09:48 PM
Magic Fingers
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Gripe - What I have learned about Corvette exhaust manufacturers. (kfede1)

I have been on the phone with Keith at Torque Tech about this very project. I first learned of mandrel bent exhaust through the Buick GS Club of America back in 1984. They offered a source for the system in 2 1/2" , then 3". I had purchased both systems, and was pleased with fit, performance and quality of (aluminized) materials. I met Keith at the GS Nationals back in the late 80 's , while drag racing, and he seems like a straight shooter. Back in 1996 I fabricated a 3 1/2" total system for my Buick, from straight and mandrel bent sections (made by Nelson, a truck exhaust supplier), and the car ran 10.51 at the GS Nationals. Keith now sells a 3 1/2" system for those cars, which would have saved me 10 hours of chopsawing and welding. Now that have my 68 & 70 Corvette (since 1986), I am in search of equal exhaust potential. I spoke with Keith about 9 months ago about Corvette TRUE mandrel exhaust, and he was very interested, even to the point of stating he may have it ready within a year. Check out his web sight, let him know you are serious. (www.torquetechexh.com) The more of us that let him know , the better chance of getting a exteme-quality bolt on mandrel exhaust system.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:49 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Gripe - What I have learned about Corvette exhaust manufacturers. (Magic Fingers)

Magic Fingers, I understand that you are looking for a true bolt-on exhaust system and I hope you find one soon. For people who have more time than money might want to consider this do-it-yourself option:
[Idea] Mandrel Bent, Stainless Steel Exhaust System. Do It Yourself. CHEAP!? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=386032

Magic Fingers, being that you have built a custom exhaust system using mandrel bent pipe segments, chop saw, and a welder, do you have any tips and tricks to share? Was it really difficult? I sure would like to try doing it someday.

Quick Reply: Gripe - What I have learned about Corvette exhaust manufacturers.