C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with Gateway Classic Cars near St. Louis, MO?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Black Snowman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone familiar with Gateway Classic Cars near St. Louis, MO?

I'm thinking about buying this:
http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/di...php?stock=2171

I was curious if anyone has had any experiance with them or was in the neighborhood and interested in checking it out. If not I'll have to make a road trip or fly out there. Only coming from KC it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:15 AM
stram9877
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone familiar with Gateway Classic Cars near St. Louis, MO? (Black Snowman)

Yes i am familiar with this place I have been there several times. I actually bought my 1977 corvette there. It might be worth a trip they have a lot of nice cars to see, but to be quite honest they seem to be rather overpriced on most of their cars. The cars there are sold on a cinsignment basis. One place you might look into is in St.Charles MO. called fast lane classic cars. Higher end stuff but prices seemed fair last time i was there.

P.S.
Fast lane is right down the street from just vettes (a corvette junkyard)

hope this helps
Old 04-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Black Snowman
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Gateway Classic Cars near St. Louis, MO? (stram9877)

Helps a lot thanks! I was thinking about offering $8500 for it since the front clip obviously needs to be replaced, the rear isn't much better, and I'm sure there are a few "suprises" waiting as there are with any old car. My brother lives out that way I thought I'd visit him and take a look-see.

Wow, I can't believe I found Fast Lane with my 1st Google search! For those who are interested the site is: http://www.fastlanecars.com/
Old 04-20-2003, 05:14 PM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Gateway Classic Cars near St. Louis, MO? (Black Snowman)

He could have vacuumed the car! :banghead: And I'm not sure about the racing harness :skep: Looks like it needs a paint job too.

I'm way too far away to comment on the dealership...no harm "looking" at the '76, but then go to the other place and check out the '72 big block :thumbs:
Old 04-20-2003, 05:29 PM
69vette66
Pro

Also You Might check out this place. Very nice cars Here http://www.happycarz.com/ There was only a couple of vettes last time I looked. But look at some of the other cars

:cheers: Larry
Old 04-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Black Snowman
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Gateway Classic Cars near St. Louis, MO? (standup)

I think it HAS been vaccumed and the interior is that trashed. It DEFINATELY needs paint and the front clip has cracks and the rear looks like it's shrunk a bit, but if it's really as mechanically sound as they say that's all stuff to bring the price closer to what I want to pay. I want to do a custom interior and some bodywork anyway so it doesn't bother me so much. I'm a function before form kinda guy. That makes the C3 a bit of a departure for me since I want one solely based on the curves ;)

I shot them an e-mail with a few quesitons on the condition of the frame, the weatherstripping, do the headlights work, etc . . . to try and weed out some things ahead of time and maybe save myself a trip.

We'll see Monday how much they are willing to admit :skep:

The '72 BB is sweet, and a little over twice what I can afford. . . well to be honest I can't really afford ANY 'Vette but you only live once right? I'll let them repo the rest of my toys 1st :leaving: ;)
Old 04-20-2003, 07:52 PM
standup
Drifting

...but you only live once right?
TOO RIGHT! :)

Definitely check the frame, frsh welds and rust....especially in front and behind the wheel arches!!!! A wheel alignment will tell you a lot...too many shims is not good...

Have fun :seeya
Old 04-20-2003, 09:15 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Snowman, No way in this world would I give 8500 for that car. If you look around a little, you can find some nice cars for that amount or close. I know of one 1975, Orange that makes this one look sick for 10,500. Take your time and look around, youll be much happier.............LT
Old 04-21-2003, 12:51 AM
Black Snowman
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Gateway Classic Cars near St. Louis, MO? (ltinnell)

Ya, My left brain is not in a hurry, but my right begs to differ. I just need to make sure reason wins out of emotion. Thanks for all the input from everyone. Especially the shim hint. I hadn't thought of that :thumbs:
Old 04-21-2003, 07:18 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES, BUYER BEWARE! :skep: :skep: :skep: :cheers:
Old 04-21-2003, 10:23 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It says the new engine has less than 1000 miles on it. I'm wondering if those miles were racked up ¼ mi. at a time? ;)

Personally, I would BEWARE any car that looks like it's been raced. It tends to tear the snot out of absolutely everything! (Oh, and this is a very tired-looking car. The only enticement is the new engine, and that's hardly a big deal.)
Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Beware_of_Gateway
1st Gear

Default Buyer beware - Gateway

Originally Posted by ;1543773373
I'm thinking about buying this:
http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/di...php?stock=2171

I was curious if anyone has had any experiance with them or was in the neighborhood and interested in checking it out. If not I'll have to make a road trip or fly out there. Only coming from KC it shouldn't be too bad.
Beware of Gateway Classic Cars, ILL. They sell others cars on consignment- jack up the price use fancy words and awesome pictures -- they will tell you what you want to hear!!! I purchased from them and they were not creditable. Beware Beware. I have e-mails to prove it and telephone conversations.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone familiar with Gateway Classic Cars near St. Louis, MO?

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with Gateway Classic Cars near St. Louis, MO?