C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA smog law update (SB 708)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 11:10 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CA smog law update (SB 708)

Well it looks like we won. They completely rewrote the bill and it looks like we wont be affected. You can read the bill here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/s...ended_sen.html

You can see where they crossed out the the old proposal and what they added is in italics.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
:cheers:
Old 04-23-2003, 11:19 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CA smog law update (77Dream)

WoooHOOOO!!!

:hurray:

Until you get down to the part where we MUST stop and allow INSPECTION when the CHP has a traffic stop for inspections.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:24 AM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: CA smog law update (SanDiegoPaul)

Yeah but that's not so bad. I think all they will be checking is to make sure that there is no plumes of black smoke coming out your exhaust, I don't think they would be doing any kind of emissions testing.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm hoping they kill this dog anyway. If I read this correctly, it authorizes a County board of supervisors to set up a roadside check program to randomly check vehicles for emissions violations (both visual and emission) and intoxicated drivers. Right now, '74 and older vehicles are required to be in compliance, but there is no mechanism to check that they are (no regular inspections). Neither my L-68 or BOSS Mustang get driven much, but I don't have smog pumps on them either and they would fail a visual.

The whole reason for the exemption in the first place (thanks, Maurice!) was that the older cars were a small part of the vehicle population and typically well maintained and rarely driven. With this, all I see is a way for the counties to generate revenue, if they lay out the bucks initially for the equipment and the personnel. May not happen anyway with the current deficits, but still a bad idea.

Hans
Old 04-23-2003, 01:36 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: CA smog law update (Wrencher)

They are already doing these checks anyway, it just gives them a way to get some more money for doing it. They have been setting up stops and checking the the ricers for illigal stuff, like loud mufflers, too low to the ground, nos and anything else non-street legal. I have been through one of these stops and they just waved me through, they only stopped imports.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:47 PM
77Dream
Drifting

TTT for the afternoon crowd :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To CA smog law update (SB 708)

Quick Reply: CA smog law update (SB 708)