C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood stuck!

Old 05-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Ben's75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood stuck!

Hey, I'm kind of new to the forum, and now I have my first question for you guys...

My hood is jammed shut, and the release **** in the passenger compartment isn't functioning. I have only had the car for about a week now - when I first got it, the hood worked ok; very sticky but it released. Now, it just won't even release. Any suggestions how to get it open? I'm thinking I may have to go through the wheel well and take off the hinges. I have also tried to simply tug on the cable to release the hood - no luck there either. I'd be incredibly grateful for any suggestions!

Just in case anyone wonders - I would gladly hop on over to the neighborhood body shop and pay them to help me, but the transmission is clunked, and the car don't drive!

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Old 05-08-2003, 10:36 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Default Re: hood stuck! (Ben's75)

alot of guys on the forum has had this happend lately.....they know what to do.

[Modified by REDSHARKONBOYDS, 9:37 PM 5/8/2003]
Old 05-08-2003, 10:45 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this happen before. There is a one inch rubber bushing by the window wiper well that you can pop out. Once you get it out you can use a flat head screw driver and push on the hood release. It take a few tries but it may work for you. If you search the archived topics you can probably find an old thread on it. You may also look at corvettefaq.com and look if there is a topic on it there.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Dk Met Grn 80 L82
Instructor

I had this happen to me after I got my vette also. I had one side release and one not. It was really frustrating. I had my wife pull on and off the stuck side while I kept pushing and pulling the cable release. Finally it popped, got lucky. I changed the cable immediately after with no problems since.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:19 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Ben:
I have gotten my hood stuck on many occassions. Everything that has already been mentioned I have tried to no avail. The only thing that worked for me everytime was going in through the front fender. You can fit your hand in through the A-arm dust cover with a 1/2" open ended wrench and loosen the hinge bolts through there. You won't need to take them completely out. Just loosen the bolts on the driver's side and the passenger's side. Then pull the hood release and try wiggling the hood until it pops loose.

This should work for you. If it doesn't let us know. Good luck.

:cheers:
Old 05-08-2003, 11:34 PM
SAMMAN
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Had this happen to me three times over the past couple of weeks. There are many ways that may work but for me the only solution that was quick and not frustrating was reaching up under the front of the car and loosing the nuts that hold the front of the hood.

I now have the pins adjusted so that the hood no longer gets stuck, although the passenger side always pops up usually when l'm backing out of my driveway.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Ben's75
Instructor

Default Re: hood stuck! (SAMMAN)

Guys, thanks so much for your tips. I'll try them out tomorrow afternoon.

Ben
Old 05-10-2003, 01:10 AM
Ben's75
Instructor

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. I've tried all your ideas to no avail so far - the "thru the wheel well" idea worked well on the drivers side, but not the passenger...

I think I'll try removing the grill tomorrow - see if I can access the bolts that way.

I'll keep you posted - this seems like a common enough problem that one more method might be helpful to someone.

Ben
Old 05-10-2003, 02:25 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

This link might help.

http://www.madvet.com/shop?store=1&c...236&frame=3852

Old 05-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Ben's75
Instructor

Default Re: hood stuck! (mapman)

mapman - I was thrilled when I found that tutorial - however, the latches are very different on a 75. So much so that the pictures are not helpful. Thanks for the link though.

Ben
Old 05-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Ben's75
Instructor

ok, finally got it - with some help. My brother's friend came over, grabbed the hood at the corner of the driver's side and pulled it up. He then jammed a big blade screwdriver in there and pushed the latch open. Popped right up. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this method to those of you who have really nice paint jobs - it was a bit rough.

But the hood is up!

Ben

Get notified of new replies

To hood stuck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hood stuck!