C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper procedure for changing automatic transmission fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 05:43 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper procedure for changing automatic transmission fluid?

I'm going to have to replace my pan gasket and remember there's something goofy about refilling an auto trans. I know when I take the pan off there will still be fluid in the torque converter so the total capacity is NOT the amount of fluid I should put back in.

Do I just add a couple quarts, start, put in forward and reverse, check level, add if needed, forward, reverse, check... etc?

On a related note, any recommendations on trans fluids or stuff that will clean off transmission fluid.

This is all because in the middle of working out kinks in my fuel injection setup my transmission began to feel neglected and decided that NOW is the best time to start leaking fluid on the hot exhaust pipes. :rolleyes: :banghead:
Old 06-24-2003, 05:48 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Default Re: Proper procedure for changing automatic transmission fluid? (Cookwithvette)

Dont get it all over the garage floor! :banghead:

I dont think you want any tips from me :D
Old 06-24-2003, 06:06 PM
1yy07
Racer

Default Re: Proper procedure for changing automatic transmission fluid? (Cookwithvette)

Once you get the pan down, go buy a B&M #80250 drain plug!! time and $ well spent. use dextron fluid dont forget to blow out steel lines to the rad!!after you drill hole in the back of pan take it to be welded in , I would not put plug in the bottom i put mine on the back flat part of pan hope this helps. :cool:
Old 06-24-2003, 06:17 PM
bossvette
Advanced

Default Re: Proper procedure for changing automatic transmission fluid? (77Dream)

sounds like you have the same kind of luck I have. "bad or none" for what its worth when I do an auto trans I try to get the biggest drain pan I can find and first loosen all the bolts and then starting at one corner and going along both sides remove the bolts one at a time till there are only a couple left on each side then slowly loosen them to allow the oil to drain out the corner you started from. this is assuming a drain plug has not been installed, Change the filter and add oil the filter instructions may have the proper ammount to add I personally get it on the stick and then start it up and fill to suit :seeya
Old 06-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Andrew CM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed mine at the weekend. It's a good tip above, to slacken all the bolts slowly and release one corner so it drains out easily.
I measured what came out of mine so I knew how much to put back in. It was about 6 pints/4.3lts - so that shows how much was in the torque converter! When I'd put in nearly that amount I did a short run and topped up to the right level. I used Dexron 3 and a can of Wynns "stop leak" to help freshen the seals up. (AC Delco do a good filter and gasket kit - mines an L48 1980 and the product code is TF171)
The amount of debris in the filter was amazing, a good tablespoon full of grey sludge, but my filter probably hasnt been changed for some time. It may be my imagination but it sure seemed to run better after the change.
Be careful if you do the change after running the car as the oil can be really hot.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:39 AM
Chevyguy
Instructor

Get a suction pump, like a Mighty Vac and suck it out from the dipstick tube. You can get enough out that it won't make a mess when dropping the pan :chevy
Old 06-25-2003, 03:42 AM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

be sure to clean the pan up real well, if you dont have a solvent tank then carb or brake cleaner will work fine. I like Brakleen myself because its a very high pressure spray and evaporates fairly fast.

Also, if there isnt a magnet in the bottom of the pan already, put a big magnet there to help filter out metal particles.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Proper procedure for changing automatic transmission fluid? (Chevyguy)

Get a suction pump, like a Mighty Vac and suck it out from the dipstick
Cool! I hadn't thought of that. Just recently got one too.

Thanks for the tips guys! :cheers:
Old 06-25-2003, 02:47 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Get a suction pump, like a Mighty Vac and suck it out from the dipstick
Cool! I hadn't thought of that. Just recently got one too.

Thanks for the tips guys! :cheers:
:withstupid:

Get notified of new replies

To Proper procedure for changing automatic transmission fluid?

Quick Reply: Proper procedure for changing automatic transmission fluid?