C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 11:13 PM
DJ Serotonin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (Monty)

speaking of budget turbo's

I am looking to switch my engine out with either an ls1 or an lt1 engine.. with that said what would be an average price on a turbo kit for either one of those engines.. price range that is.. so I know if I see a good deal or not

Thanks monty and checked out your car site.. AWESOME! made me drool :lol:
Old 06-28-2003, 11:20 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (Monty)

Monty,

The thing I've found interesting in talking with a person w/ a turbo Subaru is the "waste gate" that they have. As it was explained to me, when the engine slows down, the intake side bleeds pressure off to keep the turbo spinning fast until the motor spins back up. To someone who doesn't know much at all about forced induction (me... :D ), that sounded like a decent way to combat the turbo lag issue.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:20 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Now we need to have a screw supercharger thrown into the mix. I think it might win.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (DJ Serotonin)

DJ Serotonin,

There are turbo kits available for LS1/6 engines for C5 Vette's and F-bodies ranging in price from $7000 (Cerra Racing single turbo) all the way to $50k LPE TT systems. Whether these would fit in a C3 with an LS1 is anyone's guess. Some rework would need to be done for sure, but it might be a starting point. With that said, if you or someone you know is capable of welding you could build a very nice turbo system using new turbos, wastegates, intercooler, etc with stainless headers for less than $5000. It's not hard, it just takes alot of time and fabrication. I spent a good 6 months building my turbo system - weekends and evenings.

As far as the WRX wastegates, all turbo's utilize wastegates. Without them, there would be no way to control boost and thhe turbo would overboost resulting in engine damage. A wastegate uses a combination of spring pressure, and iuntake manifold/boost pressure/vacuum sensing to open/close a valve which diverts a portion of the exhuast energy past the turbine, slowing it down and hence limiting boost to a predetermined level. You can limit boost to be equivalent to the wastegate spring rating(5#, 10#, 20#, etc) or you can use a boost control which will allow you to apply boost pressure against the top of the wastegate spring and diaghram which will contract the spring, allowing you to raise the boost pressure higher than the spring would otherwise allow.

A screw supercharger would probably perform somwhere closer to the Centrifugal, maybe between it and the turbo, but I doubt it would "win". It still suffers fromt he same limitation and parasitic losses associated with all belt driven supercharger, albeit they are generally more efficient than Centrigual and Roots.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:58 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Great info. thank-you Monty and all that posted. When I log into the forum this is the type of thread/discussion I pray that I will see and be able to learn from. I have been looking into the idea of adding a turbo to my next project and this post is so helpfull that I am saving it and printing it out for future reference. Once again THANK-YOU all so very much. Now I have to search the archives for suspension upgrades and how ppl were happy or not with them. :cheers:
Old 06-29-2003, 07:15 PM
garagedweller2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (gdh)

Give me whooosh, pffft, wooosh anyday! :D Hey Monty, how would a pair of T66s spool on a 350SBC?
Old 06-30-2003, 06:27 AM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (garagedweller2)

All we need now is to see which one of theses units will fit without some major modification under the hood of a C3..... as we know "having a real sleeper is real cool" :thumbs:
Old 06-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Weird Science
Instructor

Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (73jst4fun)

All we need now is to see which one of theses units will fit without some major modification under the hood of a C3..... as we know "having a real sleeper is real cool" :thumbs:
I agree. I was wondering if a late model LT1 or LS1 in a C3 with a corvette SC kit would fit under an L88 hood. The c4 guys don't seem to have much room under the hood either so I wonder if it would fit.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:38 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (Weird Science)

My cynical side says that they didn't include a screw type blower, or a bigger roots type because the companies didn't buy a big enough advertisement. Most 5.0 guys run the centrifugal, is it because of paid advertising or free ads like this article? Joe
Old 06-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (joe73vette)

Size and simplicity, the easiest of the three to install and will fit under the stock hood. The roots blowers cost less but are harder to install and stick out the hood.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:48 PM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (Fevre)

yeah, but for pure wow factor you can't beat one of these........
Old 06-30-2003, 09:36 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging (yellow 72)

yellow 72 I certainly agree with the wow factor. At the car shows I am just about the only car with a blower. There are a few with centrifical supercharges and they seem to agree that under 3000 they don't get much boost but it comes on strong in the top end.
How often do we drive in the top end? I spend most of my time in the 1500-2000 range now that I removed my 4.11 gears. At 50 mph or 1400 rpm in 5th I have just to touch the throttle and the boost is right there. I don't look at the gage much but 9-10 pounds without pushing it is easy. If you are pushing it you don't have time to look at the gage.
I agree turbo's are the way to go but for me it was too complicated to install, I would prefer fuel injection plus I didn't want all the exhuast work or heat under my hood.
I found installing the 8-71 very easy and the hardest part was cutting up a perfectly good hood.
But guys once you have driven a blown car you can never go back. My blower is made for top end but don't tell it. At 1200 rpm it is quite contented to whine along making any boost I want and just lean into the throttle and unless you are in a higher gear it just breaks loose.
I am still a fan of the blower over the centrifical supercharger because of the low end punch and also over the turbo because of simplicity.
Keep your sleeper I get cars pulling over just to let me go by, I get thumbs up constantly or people shouting NICE CAR.
It makes you feel good and when I have the wife along I lug the motor almost to stalling and the noise disappears. No resonance and the whine with the top on is not bad. The motor is quite happy lugged right down.
The roots tested fits under the hood and is good for bottom end but lacks on the top.
I will keep my 8-71 blower and if anything happens to it I WILL buy another. I did spend close to $9000 converting to the blower from a 11.25 compression nitrous motor but it was worth it.

Quick Reply: Battle of The Boost - Turbo vs. Roots vs. Centrifugal Supercharging