C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on

Old 07-09-2003, 09:06 AM
tompugh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on

Hello, Anyone have this problem before. When I turn on the headlights the red 'Head Lamps' indicator light comes on and stays on, until I turn off the lights. The lights seem to work fine. They go up and down, the low beam and high beams work (even the fiber optics). What does that lamp indicator light mean? What do you think, faulty indicator switch? Thanks, Tom
Old 07-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on (tompugh)

I think the light indicates that a door has not opened all the way like its suppose to.

I would check doors first and look if they're hitting the stops while open.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:24 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Same here - having confirmed that both switches work (I replaced one), I just thought it meant that the headlights were fully open. When they are fully closed, the light is out. Feedback thing....

Perhaps I am wrong. Someone will correct us!

[Modified by pws69, 9:25 AM 7/9/2003]
Old 07-09-2003, 09:25 AM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't answer you question .... but I will be watching for responses. Mine does the same thing, but goes out if I hit a bump. I think mine is a switch, but I'll wait to see what the experts say ..... including where this switch is ... and how to fix it.

Michael
Old 07-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

That light should come on while the headlights are opening and then go out when fully open. The is a miniswitch on the headlight linkage that engages when the lights are fully open and it then turns of the warning light. If the switch is defective or malfunctioning the warning light will stay on. Will also stay on if the headlight is not fully opening.

Check that switch. It is plastic and is easy to break. Replace one switch on mine and now the warning light works like it should.

tom...
Old 07-09-2003, 11:02 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on (75Rag)

There are two switches in the system, one on each headlamp bucket. One of mine was broken off at the threads (Plastic). It sounds like it may be broken, misadjusted or one of your buckets is not opening all the way. Look up from under the front facia and you'll see the switches. The light should go out when the lights are fully open.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Default Re: 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on (Tom73)

:iagree:
Both of mine were broken, and held in place with a little Bubba-glue by the previous owner. I replaced both of my switches and it works perfectly now.
If I remember correctly the circuit is opened when the switch is depressed (headlights fully open) so if your problem does turn out to be a broken switch a temporary fix would be to simply unplug the offending switch, leaving the circuit open all the time.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:16 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on (Kevin_73)

I took the bulb out......... :lol:
Old 07-09-2003, 01:29 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 215 Posts

Just unplug the switches at the headlight bucket linkage and see if the light goes out. One of my switches was broken - just unplugged it and sealed the wire connector plug end. No problem now. I don't feel like spending $25 for a replacement switch.
Roger
Old 07-09-2003, 01:49 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Guess I better fix mine also! :crazy::smash:
Old 07-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on (Kevin_73)

When the switch breaks, it falls down and thinks the headlight is only partially open, thus leaving the light on. Easy to get to with the lights in the closed position, from underneath.

Hans
Old 07-09-2003, 06:40 PM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

I had a similar problem. The replies are on track but also try this: turn on the lights and crawl under the front so you can reach the lights from below. You will see how the linkage extends to make the lights go up. Pull gently on each linkage (one at a time) and go up (or have someone tell you) to see if the dash light goes out. As the linkage fully straightens out and locks, you should get the light(s) to extend fully this way. You will also see how a part of the linkage contacts and depresses that cheap plastic switch already complained of by others in this thread! DO NOT MESS WITH THIS IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE THE LIGHTS MAY SUDDENLY RETRACT (I.E. SOMEONE WOULD SWITCH THEM OFF OR YOU HAVE VACUUM LEAKS, ETC IN THE SYSTEM - THEREBY TAKING A FINGER OFF. If the light goes out, you have to adjust the linkage. Easiest thing to try first is to unhook the rod from your vacuum can. Unscrew the end a turn or two, reconnect, and try again. You will eventually get it to go up to full extension. Next things are to adjust the up and down max travel of the lights if necessary. The bottom line is that once you examine how the linkage works, you can figure out what is happening with your lights. I'll bet one or both also bounce around a bit when you hit bumps - mine did. Enjoy!
Old 07-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on (djcwardog)

Gotta try to repair this myself. One of mine is broken and the other one has the wires cut off at the switch. At night when the lights are on I have a big red "Head Lamps" light staring at me.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:10 PM
HDIronman
Pro

Default Re: 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on (75Rag)

I can't answer you question .... but I will be watching for responses. Mine does the same thing, but goes out if I hit a bump. I think mine is a switch, but I'll wait to see what the experts say ..... including where this switch is ... and how to fix it.

Michael
mine does the same thing... :bs

Get notified of new replies

To 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 'Head Lamps' indicator light stays on