C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Noises and Squeeks

Old 07-18-2003, 10:28 AM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noises and Squeeks

When driving my car, sometimes there is a strange squeeking noise coming from the driver side rear wheel area. There is also a click type of noise sometimes when changing to reverse or drive, and then when first beginning to drive, this noise also seems to come from the same place. No idea if they are related. Looking in the wheel well and around the wheel, nothing to be seen externally that would be causing this noise. Any ideas guys?

I hate squeeks!!!!! :mad
Old 07-18-2003, 04:20 PM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Strange Noises and Squeeks (SCVetteGuy)

I hate squeeks!!!!! :mad
I discover a new noise every time I drive mine......the only good thing about this is the new noise makes me forget about the old noise that was bugging me :)

You will have to dig a bit deeper than checking around the well.......get somebody else to start it up and put it in gear while you get closer to listen.....take the wheel off and check the hub, brakes, suspension......when's the last time you changed shocks or bushings????? Could also be in the diff or trans........

Also...."SOMETIMES" is a bit open ended......try to narrow it down......what speed are you driving at when you hear the noise, what gear are you in, are you driving up hill, down hill, cornering, what's the outside temp, engine temp, lots of etc. etc. etc........

Narrow it down.......or just turn the stereo up :)
Old 07-18-2003, 05:30 PM
adam
Drifting

Misery loves company, No :D

I had strange noises, squeaks, clunks, pops, you name it.
Worried a wheel bearing was going...
I noticed that the outer halfshaft u-join had orange-red powder around it. Hmmm.
Rust?

Jacked up the car and found out the wheel turns with a lot of noise.
[Support the tire, or remove it] Then I unscrewed the u-joint caps on the
half-shaft. One cap came off with a nice pile of metal filings in it, the other came
off with a set of rusty rollers in it. Time to get out the U-joint bag and replace it.

Problem solved... Now I get to check the rest of them.

:cheers:

Old 07-18-2003, 06:27 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: Strange Noises and Squeeks (standup)

We tried putting it in gear in the driveway, and listening, but it didn't do it that time, so we'll have to try again. I don't know when the shocks or bushings were changed, if they ever were, I've had the car for only a year.

Lets see if I can narrow it down some, I'll try, but I may not be much help. The noise comes under normal driving circumstances, its also in the lower speeds, around 15-30 mph. Since its low speed I'd be in 2nd gear. It doesn't do it consistently, like everytime I'm going up a hill. It does it on hills, around corners, and just going straight on flat road. The most recent times were both at night, but around 70-80 degrees (darned heat :mad ) I hope that helps.

I also wanted to add that we have troubles with the brake caliper on that wheel. We've replaced it a few times and it gets air in it everytime. We've also replaced the brake line. Still no luck, next we were going to see if it is the rotor causing the problem.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:29 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: Strange Noises and Squeeks (standup)

I discover a new noise every time I drive mine......the only good thing about this is the new noise makes me forget about the old noise that was bugging me :)
Me too :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 07-19-2003, 06:02 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

I just returned from a Road Tour to Hershey PA from Myrtle Beach with my 78...noises came and went throughout the trip.

At first I was worried...by the end of the trip...I didn't worry no more and accepted them as the normal groans of an aging Corvette stretching its legs after sitting for a few years.

From what you describe, it sounds like what you might exptect to hear from a rearend but I do know that I just redid all my brakes over the past year and they continue to squeak and clatter, and it goes away. After having driven it some 1200 miles, when it gets hot and with excessive braking...the brake caliper noise increases.

It comes from the brake pad metal clanging against the calipers. I pulled the springs on my rear calipers (when I redid) to reduce runout therefore the pistons "float" more than if the springs were in place adding the tension to keep pistons pressed against rotor.

It got worse in stop and go traffic while with casual braking after interstate travel (exits), I did not even notice it. So I experienced a range of noises depending on traffic, brake use and heat.

It sounds like you have done quite a bit of testing under different circumstances. Perhaps go for a long road trip with higher speeds but do keep us posted.

Spartanburg...huh?
Old 07-20-2003, 04:50 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: Strange Noises and Squeeks (hunt4cleanair)

Spartanburg...huh?
Yeah, Spartanburg. Nice place. Going to look into it more tonight I think. It doesn't sound like a normal sound, It does sound kinda wrong. But thanks for the input.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:02 PM
WPEDirect
Instructor

I noticed you have an L-48... your hamster wheel prolly just needs oil.

:auto:
Old 07-21-2003, 02:09 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: Strange Noises and Squeeks (WPEDirect)

I noticed you have an L-48... your hamster wheel prolly just needs oil.

:auto:
Hey now, no dissin on the L-48. Back to the squeeks, the squeek starts at low speeds and gets more frequent as I accelerate, then eventually dies off. There also seems to be a different squeek as I turn at low speeds.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:38 AM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

If it helps at all, it only squeeks when pressing on the gas, left off and it stops.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Noises and Squeeks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Noises and Squeeks