C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A hundred questions, a thousand thank-you's per answer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 02:33 AM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A hundred questions, a thousand thank-you's per answer

I put my engine in yesterday and everything went pretty smoothly. This is surprising, it being my first engine installation. Now comes the enormous task of hooked everything up, and doing it correctly. So here is my list of questions that I can think of. Any answers you know off the top of your head would be greatly appreciated!

1. How do I route the vaccum hoses? I have a Holley 750cfm double pumper (#3310), a Performer RPM manifold, and a vaccum advance distributer. No pop-up headlights.

2. What bolt sizes/threads do I need to connect the radiator and support? I know this is a broad question but I don't remember what I did with the box of bolts that I removed. :rolleyes:

3. What size/thread bolts are used to hold the flywheel cover in place? My engine never had them, so I didn't have bolts for it.

4. Is it possible for an exhaust shop to slightly bend one of my headers so it misses the transmission eaiser? The collector seems to angle just slightly enough so that I won't be able to fit my exhaus cut outs.

5. I have Dart Pro 1 heads (200cc). In each one between two of the exhaust ports is some sort of collant hole. Are these meant for temperature senders? If so, where would I get them? I called Advance Auto Parts but they said they didn't know.

6. Does anyone have a diagram of the fuse box that details what size fuses go where?

That's all the questions I can think of for now. Thanks for any help!

:D :D :D
Jerry
Old 07-25-2003, 03:02 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: A hundred questions, a thousand thank-you's per answer (jerryjfunk)

1. How do I route the vaccum hoses? I have a Holley 750cfm double pumper (#3310), a Performer RPM manifold, and a vaccum advance distributer. No pop-up headlights. --- Vacuum advance goes to the "Ported"vacuum on the carb. That will be a smaller vacuum fitting that does NOT have vacuum at idle. PCV / Power brakes to the large port, all other vacuum from the vacuum port or off the intake.

2. What bolt sizes/threads do I need to connect the radiator and support? I know this is a broad question but I don't remember what I did with the box of bolts that I removed. :rolleyes: -- sorry, don't know.

3. What size/thread bolts are used to hold the flywheel cover in place? My engine never had them, so I didn't have bolts for it. -- sorry, don't know.

4. Is it possible for an exhaust shop to slightly bend one of my headers so it misses the transmission eaiser? The collector seems to angle just slightly enough so that I won't be able to fit my exhaus cut outs. --- If they are not ceramic coated, maybe. It would be up to them.

5. I have Dart Pro 1 heads (200cc). In each one between two of the exhaust ports is some sort of collant hole. Are these meant for temperature senders? If so, where would I get them? I called Advance Auto Parts but they said they didn't know. --- Yes, they are for temp sensors. No one has found a replacement / aftermaket temp sensor that will work with the Vette gages. You have to use your original. If it does not fit the head, then put the sensor in the intake manifold near the t-stat housing. Use pipe plugs to fill the holes in the cylinder heads.

6. Does anyone have a diagram of the fuse box that details what size fuses go where? -- what year ?? I know I don't have anything like that.

That's all the questions I can think of for now. Thanks for any help!

:D :D :D
Jerry

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:50 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

I'm not a huge help for most of this stuff, but I will give you a free piece of advice for the next time you do the project:D Before you pull out your engine, take a bunch of pictures of how everything is routed. Then take masking tape and label every hose and electrical connection you remove. When you take your bolts off, put them in ziplock bags and either use a perm marker and label the bags, or stick a piece of paper in the bags with what each set of bolts goes to.

I did all of this for my project and I'm very glad I did, even if I could have figured some of it out again, the peace of mind is worth it.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:23 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]2. What bolt sizes/threads do I need to connect the radiator and support? I know this is a broad question but I don't remember what I did with the box of bolts that I removed. --The bolts for the radiator and support are 5/16 x1 USS :

3. What size/thread bolts are used to hold the flywheel cover in place? My engine never had them, so I didn't have bolts for it. --If you mean the lower pan I think they are 1/4 -20 x1/2"

I hope this helps. Craig :cheers:
Old 07-25-2003, 09:57 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: A hundred questions, a thousand thank-you's per answer (CF6873)

BSeery-

The headers ARE ceramic coated. I think I might be in trouble here. Thanks for the advice on the vaccum system.

Dath-

I did label everything and put bolts in boxes. But when you do your very first complete frame-off restoration over the coarse of two years, things get lost. I'm doing it in my one and a half stall garage and parts are scattered throughout my basement, bedroom, and back room. I'm doing the best I can here! :crazy: :lol:

Craig,

It does help, thank you very much!

[Modified by jerryjfunk, 10:05 PM 7/25/2003]
Old 07-28-2003, 11:32 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Dath-

I did label everything and put bolts in boxes. But when you do your very first complete frame-off restoration over the coarse of two years, things get lost. I'm doing it in my one and a half stall garage and parts are scattered throughout my basement, bedroom, and back room. I'm doing the best I can here! :crazy: :lol:
For that, I cannot really help you as I have the same issues, though I'm not doing a frame off, I do have a whole lot of stuff pulled off at the moment. It's a royal pain, I know. :crazy:

Get notified of new replies

To A hundred questions, a thousand thank-you's per answer

Quick Reply: A hundred questions, a thousand thank-you's per answer