C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol (LemansBlue68)

Use a decent SG or better rated "dino" oil and change it every 3000 miles. You'll do just as well as any synthetics and pay 1/4 of the cost. If you want to run synthetics, you should still change your oil every 3000. So if you want to pour that extra $3/qt down the drain all the power to ya if it makes ya feel better. The biggest factor that I've seen with respect to wear and carbon accumulation in the 100K+ fleet motors that I've looked at (and we run 'em all over the country) is the regularity of the oil changes--synthetic oil or not.

When Mobil 1 first came out, they touted that you could extend your oil changes out to 25,000 miles. They back peddled on that statement really fast when customers started taking them literally.
When I had my Toyota SR5 V6 4X4, I use to change the oil every 10,000Km's. I never had a problem with that truck, and I put over 120,000KM's on it. My Ford Explorer on the other hand :rant: What a load of junk. My next car is either an a) VW, with Diesel motor, b) Honda, probably a civic, c) another Toyota. Everytime I think about cars that damn Ford pops in my mind. END RANT.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol (BeaterShark)

I've read that Mobil 1 tends to shrink seals. Amsoil on the other hand does not. Also heard that GM is having some problems w/Mobil 1 in the newer vettes because it's consuming the oil. Any thoughts on this.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Yellow79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol (Van Steel)

i use synthetic in anything that i would beleive is worth over 3000 dollars, enginewise. whether thats because its original or because its a good buildup. ive never heard problems with mobil one shrinking seals. id reccomend royal purple all the way though. ive liked all their products, which includes a lot of synthetic juices. if you want synthetic oil but dont want to pay the mobil one price, go with royal purple.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:18 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol (Van Steel)

I've read that Mobil 1 tends to shrink seals. Amsoil on the other hand does not. Also heard that GM is having some problems w/Mobil 1 in the newer vettes because it's consuming the oil. Any thoughts on this.
I've run M1 in my vette for years and have no leaks, so I would say the "shrinking seals" spin is false. The problem with LS1's and oil usage is caused by GM using piston rings with too low tension in order to try to save fuel. If you have excessive consumption on a LS1 GM will pay for a piston ring replacement with a new design ring that has higher tension.

I don't know where the 3k mile oil change comes from. It makes no sense. Maybe in the 50's, but not today. I change at 7k miles and that is probably too often. I'll probably try 10k miles and send it in for analysis.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:28 PM
mountainmotor
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of the PAO fluids will dry out seals if not mediated with other chemistry in a formulated oil. Mobil's Supersyn does not cause seals to dry out . In fact I have personally seen some quite high milaege engines changed over without any problems.

By chance did a Amsoil Saleman tell you this about the Mobil :D

The new Vettes/Camaros have the ring package located too high on the piston and use a thin ring with light tension and a piston that tends to rock. Those problems in the inherit design will allow any motor to use a lighter VI oil like the Mobil SS 30wts . It is obvious the piston can rock when you hear some of these hammers start up cold .

If I owned one I would not burn good synthetic oil-- If I bought the car new I would place in the part of the Generals body that it belonged if he would not repair it

Whoooooa! :smash: :p:
Old 08-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol (zwede)

Zwede
That makes good sense. Like i said thats just what i've heard. My father and i use Amsoil in all of our cars and trucks. We have a 80 Vette, 70 Monte Carlo, 97 S-10 Blazer and a 00 dualle deisel. We've had no problem whats so ever w/Amsoil. Thanks for the input. :thumbs:
Old 08-06-2003, 01:17 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol (MELVIN)

Ditto Zwede and Mountainmotor on the problems with C5 engines. It was worse in engines that were driven at higher RPM before they were fully warmed up. Part of the fix was a change to the ring configuration to change the scraper on the ring package.

I read somewhere that the recommended 3,000 mile oil change had some validity in the days of leaded gasoline, carbureted engines and toilet tissue oil filters since carbureted engines frequently squirted excess gasoline down the cylinder walls that ended up in the crankcase, leaded gasoline burned a lot dirtier and oil filters didn't filter nearly as well as current, high quality filters.

No one doubts that oil changes at 3,000 miles keeps cleaner oil in your crankcase. But, with a fuel injected engine burning unleaded gas and a high quality oil filter, extending that interval to 5,000 or even 10,000 miles is probably "safe". Using Mobil 1 is an extra margin above that..........
Old 08-06-2003, 05:47 PM
Pacha
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol (BeaterShark)

If you want to run synthetics, you should still change your oil every 3000.
My VW Passat 1.8T states oil change interval of 20.000Km that's about 12.500mi
And that is less that a gallon of oil for a turbocharged engine (no, it`s not diesel)
by the way I am using Castrol RS 10W60 Fully synthetic (very turbo friendly)
Old 08-07-2003, 03:01 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol (Pacha)

83 toyota supra that I run hard as hell and have since new....it has 309,000 miles on it, motor never apart, change oil every 5-6K with regular dino, no syns for me. :D but to each his own,do what spins your crank or make you :)

Quick Reply: Full synthetic engine oil comparison: Mobil 1 vs Castrol