C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips or tricks for seat upholstery installation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:26 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Any tips or tricks for seat upholstery installation?

I have the article from Corvette America detailing installation instructions. I just want to get some insite from some of you who have done this before. I plan on starting the process tonight. I have disassembled and cleaned one fram and plan pn disassembling the other in stages so I can reference back to the origional while putting on the new stuff. Any comments and\or help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:35 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Default Re: Any tips or tricks for seat upholstery installation? (BlackRat)

i put the seat on a card table so that I could work on the seat from all angles.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Give the covers some time in the sun it helps soften and free them up.
If you have trouble pulling the covers over the foam, put a plastic garbage bag over it first and it will slide right on....
I agree with getting the seat up to a comfortable height to work on.

Mike :cheers:
Old 08-05-2003, 10:22 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Was reading the CorvetteMagazine.com article again and it says you can use a coat hanger fashioned as a hook to pull the seat hooks through the foam. Is this what you guys did? Also I did't order the hog ring pliers, does AutoZone or places like that carry them? If not where?

Thanks
Wade
Old 08-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found some of the pliers at an old hardware store, but a farm supply store should have them.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:31 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Was reading the CorvetteMagazine.com article again and it says you can use a coat hanger fashioned as a hook to pull the seat hooks through the foam. Is this what you guys did? Also I did't order the hog ring pliers, does AutoZone or places like that carry them? If not where?

Thanks
Wade
I used one of the old seat wires to fashion a T handle with a hook at the end to pull the hooks and found a hog ring pliars at the local hardware....
Old 08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Any tips or tricks for seat upholstery installation? (yellow 72)

Thanks I will stop at the hardware store on the way home tonight. Hope this job goes well. :eek: :crazy: It dosen't look that hard. :smash:

Thanks
Wade
Old 08-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had NO problem doing the seat bottoms, but couldn't even begin to get the backs over the foam. It was new foam, and I didn't know about the garbage bag trick, but it quickly became apparent that I was going to blow out some stitching if I kept at it. I ended up taking the backs to an upholstery shop where they had a large steam machine that they used to finally get them on. The guy charged me $100, but told me when I picked them up that it was a tough job and he didn't charge enough. Good luck!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any tips or tricks for seat upholstery installation? (Tex71BB)

seems like I remember an episode of horsepower tv where they were redoing the interior of a chevy , and had sprayed a silcon spray on the foam to ease the new covers on, anyone else see that show?
Old 08-05-2003, 03:04 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I KNOW all the upholstry guys will gasp, BUT

electrical TIE WRAPS....those black/white long zip ties...work great!!!

for one thing they are adjustable for any feel/form you want, they are plentyful and cheap, and don't take any special tools,....
they last a long time too....been on my seats for 7 years, and never a failure...
and the assembly is much easier as your don't have to be pulling and tugging on the vinyl as you insert the ring and clamp it shut....
just wrap the plastic tie wrap around what you need, and pull to desired form...simple as hell...

GENE
Old 08-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Rich1968
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BlackRat,
I did my vinyl seat covers on my 68 a while back and remember using a hair dryer to help soften up the vinyl to get it to stretch better - It worked pretty well for me! I also bought the hog ring pliers as was suggested and they are a definite must for the job you are about to undertake. I also used a small hook l think its is called a crochet hook my wife had to grab the hooks that go through the seat foam and that made the job alot easier. You probably will have to make some holes for where seatback and bottom attach (pivot)and maybe for bumpers after you have the covers stretched in place. I used spent brass bullet casings ( like 45 caliber or so) that I lightly tapped with a hammer (remember I said "spent") to punch out the holes in the vinyl and although this may sound nutty it made a nice clean round punched hole. Mine turned out well for a first timer and I hope with some of the good suggestions you have already recieved yours will turn out well too! Good Luck!

Rich
Old 08-06-2003, 08:09 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Default Re: Any tips or tricks for seat upholstery installation? (Rich1968)

I used spent brass bullet casings ( like 45 caliber or so) that I lightly tapped with a hammer (remember I said "spent") .
:smash: :lol:

Thanks Rich and everyone else for the GREAT! suggestions. Hopefully I can give you all a successfull update soon.

Thanks
Wade
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Any tips or tricks for seat upholstery installation?

Quick Reply: Any tips or tricks for seat upholstery installation?