C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions on my 77

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:39 PM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default A few questions on my 77

I removed my non functioning AC and I want to remove the heater core because I don't need heat either. There are many vacuum hoses running off of the manifold. I have the AIM and the service manual for my car and neither have any kind of vacuum hose layouts. I want to remove all of the hoses that involve the heating/AC system.
Also... I want to block off the waterpump and the manifold. I was told to get plumbers plugs.. but how do I plug up the waterpump? I included a picture showing what I am looking at.
Do I need the EGR stuff or can I remove it all? Connecticut doesn't have emissions or inspections for cars over 25 years old. I want my engine compartment to be as clean as possible. I am installing hooker headers on the car.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:21 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

The only vacuum line for the HVAC system is in your first picture. The fitting on the intake behind the carburetor.
Get an EGR block off plate.
On the water pump get a short threaded pipe and cap it.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:04 PM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by MelWff
The only vacuum line for the HVAC system is in your first picture. The fitting on the intake behind the carburetor.
Get an EGR block off plate.
On the water pump get a short threaded pipe and cap it.

Can I also cap off the vacuum junction that is in front of the carb right near the thermostat housing?

Where does the headlight system pickup its vacuum?
Old 07-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by jgcable
...Where does the headlight system pickup its vacuum?...
The manifold fitting at the rear of the manifold in front of the distributor.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:50 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Default Vacuum

Originally Posted by jgcable
Can I also cap off the vacuum junction that is in front of the carb right near the thermostat housing?

Yes

Where does the headlight system pickup its vacuum?
Same as HVAC
Old 07-21-2015, 08:10 AM
jgcable
Racer

Here is another pic of a bunch of hoses. One of the ports on the manifold has 3 outlets on it. The top one goes directly to the carb. I assume that one needs to stay where it is. The one below it went to a valve on the passenger side exhaust manifold. I am installing headers. Can I plug it? The 3rd port is open and appears that it has always been open.

Also... there is a hose that goes from the back of the carb up to the air cleaner. I am no longer using the factory air cleaner. Can I plug it off?
Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

You can use a plug just like what is on top of your water pump to plug the heater hose outlets. Similar plugs can be used in the intake to plug the vacuum ports. I went with brass plugs that had a little nicer look to them for the intake area.

EGR block off plate helps to clean it up some as well. You can see most of the items I've mentioned in this shot.

One other thing I should mention. Don't be surprised if you get some belt squeal now that you've removed the A/C belt. I ran into this problem and ended up getting a belt that runs from the water pump to the crank pulley to replace the A/C belt (this was how the factory did it without AC or smog pump options). Once that was in place, no more belt squeal.

Adam

Last edited by AdamMeh; 07-21-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A few questions on my 77

Quick Reply: A few questions on my 77