C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:35 AM
MRVETTE74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1974 Overheating

I recently replaced my head gaskets and the car seems to run ok, but after driving for a while on the highway on a hot day, the temp guage goes about half way between 200 and the red mark.

I had a guy at a machine shop take a look at it and he checked the timing and said it was ok. But, we both thought there was too much heat coming from the engine. He then checked with a laser thermometer, and it read 230. We shut the engine off for a while and then it would not start due to the battery, so we let it charge for about an hour and cranked it over a few times, but it wold not fire up. About an hour later I tried again, and I got it running.

I replaced my thermostat a few years ago before the head gasket blew, and I replaced the fan clutch with a new HD AC Delco unit a long time ago, but I don't think I drove it enough for the clutch to go bad.

Someone told me that that even though the timing reads correct, the distributor may still be a tooth off.

Could this be correct?
Old 09-28-2016, 12:55 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

There is really no such thing as a distributor being off a tooth. The timing light will give you the true timing. Do a search for overheating on here and you will come up with some things to look at.

Quick Reply: 1974 Overheating