C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light trouble shooting help?

Old 09-07-2003, 11:49 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Brake light trouble shooting help?

I need some help trying to troubleshoot why my brake lights aren't working please. The connector that I have ID'ed has 1 orange and 1 white wire. The thing is and may be I am missing something but I traced these wires and the orange one goes to the fuse panel and the white one seems to go up in the dash towards the headlight switch. Where does it actually start to go to the rear lights. :confused: Jim Shea suggested that I unplug the switch and then jump the connectors\wires and the brake lights should light up. I tried that and saw nothing. I took my voltmeter and checked the voltage in the wires. The white side showed 0 volts and the orange side showed .68 volts. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Old 09-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Enad
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Brake light trouble shooting help? (BlackRat)

I am not sure your year but I think these are all pretty much the same. There is an orange wire from the fuse panel to the brake switch. There it turns to a white wire and goes to the turn signal switch. You should have 12v constant at the orange and 12v switched (press brake pedal) on the white. No voltage on orange indicates bad fuse/wire/connection from the fuse panel.

The turn signal switch consolidates the circuit for the shared turn/brake light. From there to the back you have a dark green to the right side high intensity filament (turn/brake portion of the bulb) and yellow to the left.

Ain't wirin fun? :crazy:
Dane

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake light trouble shooting help?