C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whohoo! 72 is now at the paint shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 03:48 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whohoo! 72 is now at the paint shop

Friday night, wife followed me in her Trailblazer and we made the 170 mile cross state trip to take the 72 to Johnstown Pa to be painted. After 4 months of detailing the engine, changining all the hoses, belts and plug wires, flushing the cooling system, and checking all the brake lines, the car was in shape to drive after a nearly 20 year state of non use. I bought the Vette from a woman who only put on 2,000 miles in 22 years.
After the gas treatment started to kick in, the Vette really ran extreemly smooth and I had no problems. She ran straight and true on the turnpike and I could almost keep my hands off the wheel until I need to turn the car.
Going through the tunnels ( 3 long ones ) I had to gun it to hear the sidepipes and oh what a sound they made. This shark is going to be my favorite of all time I believe.
Anyway, the car was painted black many years ago, so I am having it put back to original Bryar Blue with White Baldwyn-Motion stripes. It will have a white rear facia and a big **** 14 inch white stripe running the length of the car down the middle to the front nose. I know this may hurt the value but I am getting old and I always wanted to do one this way.
Also new side pipes along with new Crager mags and Goodyear raised white letter tires are being installed. When she comes back in November all painted, I have boxes of interior parts soon to be arriving from the brown guy and the Vette should be done just in time for the Pennsylvania Auto Show in January.
Sorry to rant, but the Shark is only missing from my garage for 24 hours now and already I am climbing out of my skin! I am blessed to have married a motor head wife who lets me do anything I want as long as it involves her beloved vettes. :blueangel:
Bob
Old 09-28-2003, 03:57 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Whohoo! 72 is now at the paint shop (fastfun)

Sounds like a great project. I'm anxious to see pics. As I get older, I have really started liking blue Vettes alot more. Not that I didn't like them before, but the blues these days look really nice. Word to the wise: Check up on the painters at least once a week.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:23 PM
76Frankenstein
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see pics too. If you don't mind me being nosy, how/why did you select that paint shop ? I was hoping to someday uncover a good shop close to home (going to be sending mine one of these years).
Old 09-29-2003, 06:54 AM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Default Re: Whohoo! 72 is now at the paint shop (76Frankenstein)

I had my first Vette 12 years ago painted by this shop. Work back then was just simply flawless. For a very reasonable price, this shop put on a show quality paint job. We did 56 judged car shows in the 75 and often we won Best Paint and numerous Best of Concours Prepared Class. ALSO, the painter is one of the founding fathers of their local Vette club, he is a real Vette guy at heart. He has also been doing this for over 30 years. I have found that the cost in Eastern Pa. with this booming economy is much much higher than the cost in Western Pa, thus this is how we made our decision.
If anyone wants the shops name and number, just PM or e-mail me and I will be glad to furnish it to them. I will also post pictures when the car returns to my garage in November.
Bob
Old 09-29-2003, 09:34 AM
mfgaffney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be interested in the name of the paint shop. I have my 74 ready to go for a new look. I live in the Philly area and would very much appreciate a lead on a good shop. Thanks in advance, Mike Gaffney. (mfgaffney@hotmail.com)
Old 09-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

I really like the Baldwin stripes post some pics when you can

[Modified by Alwyn678, 11:11 AM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 08:31 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Default Re: Whohoo! 72 is now at the paint shop (Alwyn678)

Will absolutely post the pics when the 72 is completed. I am just dying here waiting to get this back so I can go to town on the interior. Sharks rock!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:45 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Sounds great!!! I have a 72 that is classic white and would love to have the same stripe you described in black, Just like the original ZR1. Post piks as soon as you can!!
:cheers:
Old 09-29-2003, 08:53 PM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Default Re: Whohoo! 72 is now at the paint shop (l2vette)

Our very first Vette (75) was painted Classic White and was that car ever stunning. It was a constant show winner. Yes, a black stripe on the classic white would be awesome. I will post pics.

Get notified of new replies

To Whohoo! 72 is now at the paint shop

Quick Reply: Whohoo! 72 is now at the paint shop