C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vaccuum leak in fan switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 04:35 PM
80Matt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vaccuum leak in fan switch?

While the engine is running, I hear a hissing sound coming from around the fan/ heater/ ac switches. The local vette shop guy told me this was likely a vaccuum leak. He claims that the switches in there often go bad.

He reccommended replacing the vaccuum switch and the compressor switch (GM # 9348049, #9348045). Does this make sense?

My fan also does not work. He claims that the compressor switch, which is for the AC, also works the fan- and this switch being faulty could cause the fan to malfunction. Does this make sense?

Thanks for any help!

Matt :skep:
Old 10-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Vaccuum leak in fan switch? (80Matt)

Might just be a hose came loose. The actual plug end of my hose connections to the controller broke at the holders so I used a small zip tie to hold it tight to the controller, hiss went away.

[Modified by Fevre, 5:18 PM 10/27/2003]
Old 10-27-2003, 05:17 PM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

While the engine is running, I hear a hissing sound coming from around the fan/ heater/ ac switches. The local vette shop guy told me this was likely a vaccuum leak. He claims that the switches in there often go bad.
Sounds like a loose hose. Been there done that.
He reccommended replacing the vaccuum switch and the compressor switch (GM # 9348049, #9348045). Does this make sense?
makes sense for him $$$$
My fan also does not work. He claims that the compressor switch, which is for the AC, also works the fan- and this switch being faulty could cause the fan to malfunction. Does this make sense?
I think he's full of BS. Probably just the fan switch
Old 10-27-2003, 09:58 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

The vacuum switch that controls the heater defroster valves is a seperate and different thing than the electrical fan switch. It is common for the vacuum control to leak vacuum, and it can be heard in that area. What happens is that there is a plastic rivet in there that it pivots on, and that rivet will break. I just replace the plastic rivet with a pop rivet. The only thing that you have to be carefull about is not to pull the rivet up too tight and deform the rubber part of the valve.

Get notified of new replies

To Vaccuum leak in fan switch?

Quick Reply: Vaccuum leak in fan switch?