C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil???

Old 11-18-2003, 04:19 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil???

Anybody?? I'm thinking in switching from regular oil to Royal Purple.. Hot Rod Magazine tested it and they got approx. a 6 HP improvement in engine output... So I wonder if anyone has tried it already??
Old 11-18-2003, 04:59 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil??? (GrandSportC3)

I switched to Royal Purple in my trans and noticed much easier shifting which Richmond's are not known for.
I was advised against synthetic in the rear differential because it will not cling to the outer bearings. True or false? Don't know.
I did switch to Mobil One two years ago and imediatly spun a main bearing.
If it was the fault of the oil or not, that made me leery of synthetics.
I am swiching to a new oil this winter, it has all the properties I'm looking for. You can check it out at http://www.oilextreme.com/ .
If you do decide to go with Royal Purple, go with their Racing 21, it's better than their standard replacement oil. Thats 3 cents change on a nickle.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:19 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil??? (jpatrick636)

I switched to Royal Purple in my trans and noticed much easier shifting which Richmond's are not known for.
I was advised against synthetic in the rear differential because it will not cling to the outer bearings. True or false? Don't know.
I did switch to Mobil One two years ago and imediatly spun a main bearing.
If it was the fault of the oil or not, that made me leery of synthetics.
I am swiching to a new oil this winter, it has all the properties I'm looking for. You can check it out at http://www.oilextreme.com/ .
If you do decide to go with Royal Purple, go with their Racing 21, it's better than their standard replacement oil. Thats 3 cents change on a nickle.
Thanks for the information!! :thumbs:
Old 11-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to use it, but that's only due to the price and my opinion that my current well worn engine is perhaps not worthy, but my Corvette mechanic swears by it. He has a high performance modified '80, and that's all he will use. Every time I drop by his shop for an oil change he asks if I'm going Royal Purple. He has to order it from the main Napa warehouse in town because the stores here generally don't stock it. When I get my new crate engine it will be Royal Purple Synthetic as soon as it's past those first few initial miles.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:29 PM
Thumper76
Instructor

I've run Royal Purple in my 98 GMC Z-71 pick-up for the past 4 years, Mobil 1 prior to that. After 110,000 miles, the motor still runs like new. I switched to synthetic at 1,500 miles. Never noticed any power increase, but afterall, it's a truck not a hot rod.

I plan on running Royal Purple in the Vette after the break-in period is up on the ZZ4.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:05 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil??? (Thumper76)

I've run Royal Purple in my 98 GMC Z-71 pick-up for the past 4 years, Mobil 1 prior to that. After 110,000 miles, the motor still runs like new. I switched to synthetic at 1,500 miles. Never noticed any power increase, but afterall, it's a truck not a hot rod.

I plan on running Royal Purple in the Vette after the break-in period is up on the ZZ4.
I might try it.. Not sure yet... I'm waiting for some more input!!! :thumbs:
Old 11-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I might try it.. Not sure yet... I'm waiting for some more input!!! :thumbs:
I have personally seen this oil demonstrated. You do gain the hp. The car I saw was a bone stock 92 vert. They baselined it, then did the oil change. 5hp gain. Then, the techs demonstrated how it actually polishes the metal surface while it works. They used a main bearing, if I remember. Worth the money, IMHO. Of course, I use Mobil One, only because it is the factory recommended oil for my 00 Nassau Blue FRC. (one of 189. :D )
Old 11-18-2003, 09:55 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used Royal Purple in my daily drivers for approx. 4 years now and really like it, but can't reinforce any claims on gained HP.

Unfortunately I can't use it in the Vette - engine has original (circa '72) seals that do not like synthetics, so it gets Castrol GTX.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:10 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it in the rearend, transmission and the motor. Good stuff!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:11 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil??? (sd pacecar)

I might try it.. Not sure yet... I'm waiting for some more input!!! :thumbs: I have personally seen this oil demonstrated. You do gain the hp. The car I saw was a bone stock 92 vert. They baselined it, then did the oil change. 5hp gain. Then, the techs demonstrated how it actually polishes the metal surface while it works. They used a main bearing, if I remember. Worth the money, IMHO. Of course, I use Mobil One, only because it is the factory recommended oil for my 00 Nassau Blue FRC. (one of 189. :D )
Seems like that oil is for real... I'll buy some tomorrow and change my oil to royal purple :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 11-18-2003, 10:35 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Seems like that oil is for real... I'll buy some tomorrow and change my oil to royal purple :yesnod: :yesnod:
I had some in my 69.. I'd stay with that brand if you go with it.. I too spun a bearing once I did an oil change (went with castrol syntec). I should have spent the extra 10 bucks for the RP again :cry
Old 11-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Spook
Racer

Default Re: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil??? (Corz)

I've been in touch with Royal Purple for a few questions and they were very nice and didnt try pushing anything off on me. I am deffinately putting it in my ZZ4 after break in period. NO DOUBTS!!!... However I am not planning on putting it in the tranny of rear but thats just because they are both old and worn most likely and like someone said before not quite worthy of it. More so being I want to use what they are used to being in them.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:44 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil??? (Corz)

I had some in my 69.. I'd stay with that brand if you go with it.. I too spun a bearing once I did an oil change (went with castrol syntec). I should have spent the extra 10 bucks for the RP again :cry
I'll give it a try...
Old 11-18-2003, 10:46 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Now the question is.. What viscosity should I use???

I currently use 10W40 which was recommended by the engine builder... I guess I will go with the same viscosity from Royal Purple...
Old 11-19-2003, 02:00 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

I just bought a case of Royal Purple 10W40 oil...

I'll change the oil on the '68 tonite... Let's see how the car runs with that oil!!
Old 11-19-2003, 02:13 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

not bashing royal purple at all but just to clarify, it's not a true synthetic. it is an engineered hydrocarbon (i.e. petroleum) oil. a true synthetic would be a diester, glycol or polyglycol (and a few other concoctions) formula.
i know this because royal purple got it's start for making oils for rotary screw air compressors. it just so happens i run a company that does rotary screw air compressor sales, service and repair. the demands of a compressor are quite different than that of an internal combustion engine and require a different formulation. a regular hydrocarbon oil in a compressor has approximately 20% the life expectancy of a true synthetic. just in case you were wondering, a glycol or polyglycol based "oil" formulated for use in an automotive engine would probably cost somewhere around $20-30 a quart.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:18 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Default Re: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil??? (clutchdust)

not bashing royal purple at all but just to clarify, it's not a true synthetic. it is an engineered hydrocarbon (i.e. petroleum) oil. a true synthetic would be a diester, glycol or polyglycol (and a few other concoctions) formula.
i know this because royal purple got it's start for making oils for rotary screw air compressors. it just so happens i run a company that does rotary screw air compressor sales, service and repair. the demands of a compressor are quite different than that of an internal combustion engine and require a different formulation. a regular hydrocarbon oil in a compressor has approximately 20% the life expectancy of a true synthetic. just in case you were wondering, a glycol or polyglycol based "oil" formulated for use in an automotive engine would probably cost somewhere around $20-30 a quart.
Interesting information!!

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil???

Old 11-19-2003, 02:50 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting information!!
:iagree: very interesting!
Old 11-19-2003, 03:38 PM
Jasonty
Pro

Default Re: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil??? (shoptek)

I run Royal Purple in my 81. I think it's great oil, and I've seen a lot of demonstrations and magazine reviews where it outperforms many other oils. It really is some good stuff. I know it's pricey, but my vette deserves the best. I haven't tried the Royal Purple ATF or rear gear oil, but I plan on it. They also make power steering fluid, as well as an antifreeze additive. But I haven't heard much about those. I also run a K&N oil filter, as I've heard those are the best.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil??? (Jasonty)

Ahh jeeze. I have a feeling I'm going to switch over from Havoline conventional to Royal Purple synthetic. Maybe it will slow the ware on my old L98 and extend it's life a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody running Royal Purlpe Synthetic Oil???