C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 09:19 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built?

I want to order a new gas tank for my 69 convertible that was originally a 350 hp, 350 cu. in.

When I go to GasTanks.Com they have two tanks listed depending on when what month my car was built.

http://www.quantaproducts.com/store/...s.asp?dept=19?

Corvette Gas Tank, 1968 - July 1969 w/300, 350, 390 h.p.
or
Corvette Gas Tank, August 1969-1970 w/300, 350, 390 h.p.

Is there that much of a difference? I am going to weld on a sump for a EFI conversion.

All I want is a new TANK!!

Thanks Eric.

[Modified by EricU, 6:21 PM 2/3/2004]
Old 02-03-2004, 09:50 PM
BoeingDriver
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built? (EricU)

Eric,

It does seem to get a bit convoluted at times, doesn't it? Couple of ways I might suggest. Gary and Kelly (owners of Quanta) are great people. Simply tell them your VIN and they will take it from there. If you wish to figure it out yourself, NCRS (NCRS.org) sells several publications that will give you the info you are looking for. They have a breakdown of final monthly VIN's for the 69 model year. One such publication is the NCRS pocket guide. Not too expensive and makes a great resource. I used mine this past weekend while examining a potential purchase.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark Donnally
Old 02-04-2004, 05:26 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built? (EricU)

Drop me a note with the last five digits of your VIN...I've got the Birthday book that lists birthdates for each model by VIN and date...or just list here.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built? (hunt4cleanair)

You can also look at the trim tag in the driver's door jamb. You'll find an "alpha-numeric" sequence like B 14, where B is the second month of production and 14 is the day. If they started building cars in August, A would be August, B would be September, etc. in this example. Your car likely was built 1-2 days AFTER the body build date. Don't have my book here now, so I can't check exactly on these body build examples.

That being said, I know of 2 tanks in 69...one for Rochester cars that have the provision for the vapor return line, and one for Holley (Tripower) cars that do not have the provision for the vapor return line.

I'd call Gary or Kelly Whiting...owners of Quanta, and ask the difference. I'm curious too. I'm unaware of tank changes with assembly dates. Quanta is a "class" operation. NICE people. They're here in Maryland....about 20 miles from me. Chuck

[Modified by Chuck Gongloff, 6:35 AM 2/4/2004]
Old 02-04-2004, 02:29 PM
EricU
Racer

Default Re: 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built? (hunt4cleanair)

The last 5 digits of my VIN are 34823

By the way who is Quanta?

Thanks for the help.

By the way, last night I found a VIN decoder web site and it told me that I had a 1969 Corvette!

Eric.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Quanta is Quanta Restoration. That's the website listed in your first post. It's a family business, located in the town of North East, Maryland, about 40 miles North of Baltimore off of Interstate 95. It's owned by a husband/wife, Gary and Kelly Whiting. Both are active NCRS members. They sell a LOT of neat stuff, besides reproduction tanks.

You have a very late 69. Don't have my book here, but I would guess it was built in October or November of 69. 69 was the GM strike year. They built 69's up to and including December of 69. Chuck
Old 02-04-2004, 02:49 PM
BoeingDriver
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Eric,

It looks like your car was produced in early Nov of 69. As Chuck mentioned previously, your trim tag (if attached) will have a body build date that will begin with a 'P' followed by two numbers. The 'P' is November and the numbers represent the day.

Quanta is the company you listed the email for in your initial post. They sell gas tanks as well as a number of other restoration supplies. They are very nice folks.

Regards,

Mark Donnally
Old 02-04-2004, 03:11 PM
EricU
Racer

Default Re: 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built? (BoeingDriver)

Thanks guys,

Once again this site has answered another question.

Eric.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:38 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Saturday, November 8, 1969...yep that be early!
Old 02-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine originally had the vent return line, but since I'm running a Holley, and always will, I decided to go with the tank that doesn't have the return line provisions. If you're not interested in numbers matching stuff, you may want to consider what you're actualy going to do with the car.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:59 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Just to clarify, "that be late", not early :) Many late 69's have "70" style parts, rear ends, etc. Chuck
Old 02-05-2004, 06:36 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Default Re: 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built? (Chuck Gongloff)

Just to clarify, "that be late", not early :) Many late 69's have "70" style parts, rear ends, etc.
Hey Chuck...Chuck with that drop dead gorgeous orange 69 roadster!

My reference was in relation to a previous comment and the day of the month rather than production year. So the 8th was in reference to time built in November.

I just completed a time built table for all C3 production and indeed 69 was the longest production year (16 months) for all C3 model years though production only made it to 38,762. In contrast, the 1979 model year saw 53,807 Corvettes built but in a 13 month time period. It underscores the increase in productivity over a decade.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:55 PM
EricU
Racer

Default Re: 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built? (Steve Straus)

Mine originally had the vent return line, but since I'm running a Holley, and always will, I decided to go with the tank that doesn't have the return line provisions. If you're not interested in numbers matching stuff, you may want to consider what you're actualy going to do with the car.
No I am not too interested in numbers matching or NCRS stuff, by the way those NCRS guys are amazing in their dedication to detail.

I will be welding on a new sump much like BSerry did (thanks again for the pics!) for my EFI conversion. I am also having a big inch (428 cu. in.) small block built.

I did order a new tank, straps and pickup from Quantas. I ordered the original style with the return as I will need one for the EFI. I don't know yet if I will use the factory return or plumb in a new one. I figure if I don't use the factory return, I can always plug it.

Eric.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:05 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

By the way who is Quanta?

Thanks for the help.

By the way, last night I found a VIN decoder web site and it told me that I had a 1969 Corvette!

Eric.
According to the Black Book VIN 34823 was built in November 1969

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built?

Quick Reply: 69 Gas Tank Question -- How do I know what month my car was built?